Blood in beardie's poop(i think)

BrieBrie

Beardie name(s)
Mushu
Hello! This is my first post, idk exactly what information to provide but basically yesterday and today it seemed like there was red(assuming blood) in my beardies poop.(5/25 and 5/26) He does eat mealworms(medium size). I believe he is around 7-9 months old, I still need to measure him. I got him in February so I've had him for a bit. I'm thinking maybe the mealworms have caused impactation? Due to the harder shells, I'm going to try and buy him pheonix worms(which I've given to him in the past) bc I think they are safer. In the mean time, I'm going to try and give him mushy food like baby food applesauce. I'm just very scared as to why there is maybe blood in his poop. And if I'm going to be completely honest, I do not have the money for a vet! I'm struggling financially right now :( One more thing to note, I do let him run around my room because he loves to explore and get out of his tank AND I have given him a warm bath(didnt last long tho) and massaged his stomach. Please anyone help me out. I will post his poop tommorrow if it's still bloody because I didn't take a photo unfortunately.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
If he is pooping he is not impacted. Mealworms are ok feeders also. He needs more variety though, try mixing in dubias, crickets, hornworms, silkworms, and superworms, in any combination.
As far as the poop, can you post pics? Also can you go over your lighting setup. It's crucial to their health.
Please provide as much info as possible and there are a lot of folks here that can and will help you 🙂

BrieBrie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
And I am just now noticing he's beard is a bit black

Attachments

• 16851279515276136772388268255781.jpg
    16851279515276136772388268255781.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 66

BrieBrie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
If he is pooping he is not impacted. Mealworms are ok feeders also. He needs more variety though, try mixing in dubias, crickets, hornworms, silkworms, and superworms, in any combination.
As far as the poop, can you post pics? Also can you go over your lighting setup. It's crucial to their health.
Please provide as much info as possible and there are a lot of folks here that can and will help you 🙂
I'm about to go to work so I will post lighting details more in depth then! :) Thank you for your input, by the way, what do you think about pheonix worms? And where can I buy the insects your referencing? Thanks

BrieBrie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
And I will post his poop tommorrow! Thank you :)

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
You can get them all online and the Phoenix are great. Maybe hit up @KarrieRee for the web addresses she post them quite often so im guessing she keeps the links readily available 🙂

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are you giving for supplements? Please go over your UVB brand and bulb and surface basking temps and how your getting them? Mealworms tend to be more harsh on younger dragons stomachs - if he is pooping out blood and we can determine that after we see it then I would suggest cutting the meal worms out for now - around a year old would be best to feed them - your better off going w/ horn worms and BSFL (phoenix worms) as a salad lure if hes not eating salads you want him eating those or at least some --- you can get these from www.symtonbsf.com -- or www.dubiaroaches.com also known on this site as nutri grubs - are you ordering insects on line at all? Silk worms are a good staple but spendy but a good diet variety staple www.reptilianarts.com -- super worms medium size 1-3 every other day is good too added on top of his salads

BrieBrie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
What are you giving for supplements? Please go over your UVB brand and bulb and surface basking temps and how your getting them? Mealworms tend to be more harsh on younger dragons stomachs - if he is pooping out blood and we can determine that after we see it then I would suggest cutting the meal worms out for now - around a year old would be best to feed them - your better off going w/ horn worms and BSFL (phoenix worms) as a salad lure if hes not eating salads you want him eating those or at least some --- you can get these from www.symtonbsf.com -- or www.dubiaroaches.com also known on this site as nutri grubs - are you ordering insects on line at all? Silk worms are a good staple but spendy but a good diet variety staple www.reptilianarts.com -- super worms medium size 1-3 every other day is good too added on top of his salads
I will send more info on lights later tommorrow when im not at work. As for the Temps, cold side is around 85-86 degrees F and basking spot is 110-115 F. And yes I was ordering pheonix worms but then it became more convenient to go to the pet store nearby and buy mealworms but I am going to try and give him more pheonix worms now.(ordering them now) And he actually doesn't eat his salad a lot (I give him collard greens and butternut squash-cut up), he'll usually eat the squash.
...and the greens only seems to be rare or if I try and feed it him, like put it in his face,he'll sometimes grab and eat it. So I'm gonna try to mix the worms with the salad, the only issue is I did that one time and sometimes he's a little silly and doesn't see the worms in the salad and the worms hide under the greens so he doesn't know loll. So then he won't eat at all. As for a pic of his poop, I will take a pic when he goes tommorrow. Thanks for all the help so far guys!

BrieBrie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
What are you giving for supplements? Please go over your UVB brand and bulb and surface basking temps and how your getting them? Mealworms tend to be more harsh on younger dragons stomachs - if he is pooping out blood and we can determine that after we see it then I would suggest cutting the meal worms out for now - around a year old would be best to feed them - your better off going w/ horn worms and BSFL (phoenix worms) as a salad lure if hes not eating salads you want him eating those or at least some --- you can get these from www.symtonbsf.com -- or www.dubiaroaches.com also known on this site as nutri grubs - are you ordering insects on line at all? Silk worms are a good staple but spendy but a good diet variety staple www.reptilianarts.com -- super worms medium size 1-3 every other day is good too added on top of

BrieBrie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
Oh and I forgot to mention, for supplements I give him: "Rep-Cal Herptivite with Beta Carotene Multivitamin Reptile Supplement "powder AND same brand but the calcium powder, I shake it onto everything I give him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Oh and I forgot to mention, for supplements I give him: "Rep-Cal Herptivite with Beta Carotene Multivitamin Reptile Supplement "powder AND same brand but the calcium powder, I shake it onto everything I give him.
Ok so dust the calcium and vitamins on the insects only --- ONCE per feeding 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 and 2 x per week ONCE per feeding w/ the vitamins --- are you feeding anything red? Once we see a pic of the poop we can determine if its the supplements or actual blood -- add enough of the BSFL on top of his salads I used to drop around 20 on the salad -- for his age I would drop your basking temps now to 95-100- hes older than 6 months and most do not like that hot of temps -- we want him eating more salad -- please feed / offer him salad everyday - at 1 year of age he will need to have 80% insects meaning 2-3 times / week and fresh salads everyday along w/ some treat worms -- it is best to get and cheaper to get all your insects on line -- I posted some good websites for you

BrieBrie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
Ok so dust the calcium and vitamins on the insects only --- ONCE per feeding 5 x per week w/ calcium D3 and 2 x per week ONCE per feeding w/ the vitamins --- are you feeding anything red? Once we see a pic of the poop we can determine if its the supplements or actual blood -- add enough of the BSFL on top of his salads I used to drop around 20 on the salad -- for his age I would drop your basking temps now to 95-100- hes older than 6 months and most do not like that hot of temps -- we want him eating more salad -- please feed / offer him salad everyday - at 1 year of age he will need to have 80% insects meaning 2-3 times / week and fresh salads everyday along w/ some treat worms -- it is best to get and cheaper to get all your insects on line -- I posted some good websites for you
Ok, so for the temps the only way for me to drop it is to remove the 2nd heat lamp, I have two because I had thought it needed to be hotter. And no I'm not feeding him anything red, almost a week ago though he might of had a tiny bit of blackberry but that's super dark purple and I don't even remember if he had really eaten it, im just mentioning it just in case. And while we are talking about feeding details, currently I feed him once a day, about 30-40 worms and I put the salad out. Is that good? And moving forward I will try to lure him with the salad and put the insects on top. Is collard greens and squash a good staple, and adding in fruit here and there? And when he poops today, I will send a picture. Also I'm going to pause mealworms, I just don't know what to feed him in the meantime because I've ordered some pheonix worms yesterday but I won't have them till a day or few.

BrieBrie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
Ok, so for the temps the only way for me to drop it is to remove the 2nd heat lamp, I have two because I had thought it needed to be hotter. And no I'm not feeding him anything red, almost a week ago though he might of had a tiny bit of blackberry but that's super dark purple and I don't even remember if he had really eaten it, im just mentioning it just in case. And while we are talking about feeding details, currently I feed him once a day, about 30-40 worms and I put the salad out. Is that good? And moving forward I will try to lure him with the salad and put the insects on top. Is collard greens and squash a good staple, and adding in fruit here and there? And when he poops today, I will send a picture. Also I'm going to pause mealworms, I just don't know what to feed him in the meantime because I've ordered some pheonix worms yesterday but I won't have them till a day or few.

Ok so for my lighting, I use Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp, 150w(I've had less wattage once but since my tank is 40 gal it woul barely heat anything up) and then for my UVB it's the long tube one, Reptisun, 24w 22"/ T5 HO/10.0 UVB. And the basking spot lamp is a ceramic dome.
Ok so for the lighting I use Repti Basking Spot Lamp
Ok so the lighting: Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp 150w (in the beginning I had a lower wattage but it would barely heat anything up in the 40 gal tank) and for UVB-Reptisun 24w 22"/T5 HO/10.0 UVB

Attachments

• 20230527_081023.jpg
    20230527_081023.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 50

BrieBrie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mushu
Ok so for my lighting, I use Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp, 150w(I've had less wattage once but since my tank is 40 gal it woul barely heat anything up) and then for my UVB it's the long tube one, Reptisun, 24w 22"/ T5 HO/10.0 UVB. And the basking spot lamp is a ceramic dome.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom