Bloated belly & trying to vomit motion

Axeloukos

Few days ago he started doing the thing in the video I linked.

He also have bloated belly for past few days and poops in small amounts daily but it's normal poop nothing weird.
His active runs, swims, drinks water, ate 3 days ago. As per vet advice I'm not feeding him for few days and gave him devorm medicine and laxative.

Took xrays and taking him to a different vet in next days that I just had a call with.
He said by symptoms might be something with kidney but we still will check and just hope it's a mini impaction.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BeardedDragons/comments/xd95qf

Attachments

• PXL_20220914_112904095.MP (1).jpg
    PXL_20220914_112904095.MP (1).jpg
    143 KB · Views: 94
  • PXL_20220914_112915633.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220914_112915633.MP.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 73
  • PXL_20220914_152209002.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220914_152209002.MP.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 76

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He might be gassy , bloated like you say. They can also do that if they eat or drink too fast, I've seen mine do that + it not lead to vomiting. The way they actually vomit is by violently thrashing their head from side to side as they bring up whatever is irritating them . There's no reason to believe it has to do with his kidneys at all. BTW, are you sure that's a male ? And did the vet do a fecal test so that they prescribed a dewormer ? What's the name of the medicine ?

Axeloukos

Original Poster
He might be gassy , bloated like you say. They can also do that if they eat or drink too fast, I've seen mine do that + it not lead to vomiting. The way they actually vomit is by violently thrashing their head from side to side as they bring up whatever is irritating them . There's no reason to believe it has to do with his kidneys at all. BTW, are you sure that's a male ? And did the vet do a fecal test so that they prescribed a dewormer ? What's the name of the medicine ?
The thing is he's been gassy for 5 days and now that I remember the first day I noticed something weird was with him is when I heard and saw him doing what you said, bashing his head side to side but haven't seen him do that after that.

100% male. We didn't do fecal test as he said it's usually okay to give it to them once a year for general deworming, that what he does he said. Unfortunately not sure what medicine is called as he gave me small amount in syringe for on time use with 20ml in it.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
The xrays of beardies are the coolest/creepiest thing i ever see. For some reason they fascinate me.
I do hope your guy is ok. Making us worry Is what beardies do best.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not really sure on this one. I don't see anything that stands out to me on the x-ray, but I don't have any training for analyzing those. The coughing/burping behavior has me thinking there is a gas buildup or pressure as has already been mentioned. Moving him around may be putting some additional pressure which is causing discomfort. I'm not sure what can be safely administered to a dragon to help reduce a gas buildup, so perhaps that's what the vet was trying with the combination dewormer (possibly an antibiotic that might kill off gut bacteria causing gas buildup) and laxative. Have you seen any positive changes from administering those yet? They may need more time to be effective. His weight looks good, if not a bit on the high side. I don't see other signs of distress in the photos and video which is good. Might be best just to keep doing what you're doing for another week or so and revisit the vet if no improvement is seen.

Axeloukos

Original Poster
I'm not really sure on this one. I don't see anything that stands out to me on the x-ray, but I don't have any training for analyzing those. The coughing/burping behavior has me thinking there is a gas buildup or pressure as has already been mentioned. Moving him around may be putting some additional pressure which is causing discomfort. I'm not sure what can be safely administered to a dragon to help reduce a gas buildup, so perhaps that's what the vet was trying with the combination dewormer (possibly an antibiotic that might kill off gut bacteria causing gas buildup) and laxative. Have you seen any positive changes from administering those yet? They may need more time to be effective. His weight looks good, if not a bit on the high side. I don't see other signs of distress in the photos and video which is good. Might be best just to keep doing what you're doing for another week or so and revisit the vet if no improvement is seen.
From what I noticed he actually does the burping/coughing when he moves around or I pick him up. Still no results so far, vet gave me one more small dose of dewormer to give him.

Not feeding him atm so he poops everything out. He tried to poop today but I noticed only little bit of white came out.

I was thinking giving him some activated charcoal to try maybe help with gasses. Would you suggest that?

Few days ago he started doing the thing in the video I linked.

He also have bloated belly for past few days and poops in small amounts daily but it's normal poop nothing weird.
His active runs, swims, drinks water, ate 3 days ago. As per vet advice I'm not feeding him for few days and gave him devorm medicine and laxative.

Took xrays and taking him to a different vet in next days that I just had a call with.
He said by symptoms might be something with kidney but we still will check and just hope it's a mini impaction.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BeardedDragons/comments/xd95qf
My friends beardie did this when he would eat too fast. It was gas and him belching. Give him a warm bath and rub his tummy like massaging it. It will help get all the gas out.

Axeloukos

Original Poster
My friends beardie did this when he would eat too fast. It was gas and him belching. Give him a warm bath and rub his tummy like massaging it. It will help get all the gas out.
I gave him many warm baths with massages in past days sadly no luck. He just did burp sound as well which I heard first time ever. I'm googled bearded dragon burp and video came up with same exact sound.
So I think he has too much gas inside him and that's the issue at the moment. Thought he might have something stuck in the throat but xray would show that.

I gave him many warm baths with massages in past days sadly no luck. He just did burp sound as well which I heard first time ever. I'm googled bearded dragon burp and video came up with same exact sound.
So I think he has too much gas inside him and that's the issue at the moment. Thought he might have something stuck in the throat but xray would show that.

Well I figured that was the issue. It can take a few days to clear. I told him this with the issue and he panicked and took his beadie to the Vet onlu for the Vet to tell him the same thing! 🤔 I told him that he owes me money, since I diagnosed him first...lol.

Hope your beardie is doing better

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom