Bloated beardie

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Anyone see anything out of the ordinary in this xray?
Back story is that Snicker Doodles has been bloated for about a month now, i took in a fecal, and then took her in as well to the vet. I was told she had a high Cocidia count and given a 5 day regimen of Albon (spelling?) at .7 ml per day. A week after the meds are done and she still looks like a balloon 🎈 😳. I dropped off another fecal today but i want to post the xray to see if anyone can see any issues. Thanks guys :)
I still think beardie xrays are the creepiest AND coolest things. I wish i had gotten this in time to enter it in the photo contest lol

Attachments

• 1.2.840.1136982022093011374992449.37.jpg
    1.2.840.1136982022093011374992449.37.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 108

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Anyone see anything out of the ordinary in this xray?
Back story is that Snicker Doodles has been bloated for about a month now, i took in a fecal, and then took her in as well to the vet. I was told she had a high Cocidia count and given a 5 day regimen of Albon (spelling?) at .7 ml per day. A week after the meds are done and she still looks like a balloon 🎈 😳. I dropped off another fecal today but i want to post the xray to see if anyone can see any issues. Thanks guys :)
I still think beardie xrays are the creepiest AND coolest things. I wish i had gotten this in time to enter it in the photo contest lol
We need Tracie to look at this
@Drache613

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

When was this x-ray done, recently?
Has she ever had eggs or developed eggs before?
It is very late here but I will take another look at the x-rays during the day. It looks like the possibility
of eggs perhaps. Those darker spaces could be air pockets but it is odd she is still bloated for this long
of period of time.
How much is she eating right now?

Tracie

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
That xray is from less then 2 weeks ago, she was eating really well up until the meds. She ate ok the first day after starting them, but since then hasn't had a very good appetite. I assumed it was do to the antibiotics. I have only had her since April i think she was from just under to just over a year old when i got her. She hasn't laid any eggs in the time i have had her, or displayed any signs. She doesn't dig or glass surf, and she isn't restless. She actuall bask really well, she has from day one. She can get as close as 8 inches to her uvb. It's the Arcadia t5 12%, unobstructed. She has two basking areas, one with great overlap with the uvb and one without uvb, she uses both. She prefers the one with uvb, the temps there run up to 103ish the other is 95ish.
I sent out a 2nd fecal friday, they told me it would be back today, but the 1st one took 4 days so im not optimistic.
Her habitat is the same one i had Chomp in before she passed, the vet told me she had a rupture of some sort in her reproductive system. However she swelled up the same way just before she passed. I sanitized the bejebbers out of the habitat before i put Snicker Doodles in it, but im concerned that both of them bloated up, I'm not having these issues with my other setups/dragons.
All the decor is new to her habitat, i tossed everything that Chomp had, so if it is something residual it had to be in the habitat itself.
Thank you for the help :) , oh i will stick a dig box in there today just in case.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing today?
Did the vet mention anything at all, to be concerned with regards to a reproductive rupture? Did he feel
that she has trouble with peritonitis, which needs antibiotic treatment possibly?
If you aren't using any probiotics right now, they would likely help a lot with her appetite, as long as she is
on the antibiotics.
I doubt that there is anything wrong in your tank setup. The Arcadia D3 12% T5 tube is a great bulb so
she is definitely getting plenty of strong UVB light right now. I am glad to hear she is basking & acting
normally right now.
Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
She acts perfectly normal, she just really bloated. The vet is a younger guy, he only sees reptiles but i don't think he is experienced enough yet. I may have to find another. All he told me was she had an elevated Cocidia count and gave me the antibiotics. I gave her the full course, but its going on 2 weeks and she is still bloated.
They haven't gotten back to me about the fecal i dropped off Friday, I'll call them today.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you know how high the coccidia count was, by chance? Sometimes high counts can cause
marked bloating & intestinal distress, but not always. I am concerned by how bloated she is.
Have you started using probiotics for her yet? They could be helpful in reducing excess gas or
bloating.
Are you keeping her warm overnight right now?
Let us know how things are going!

Tracie

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
What type of prebiotics should i get? I'll start feeding them to her today. I called the vet and was told the test came back positive but it will be tomorrow before the doctor is there to read it, so she wouldn't tell me for what, I'll ask how high the count is when i do talk to him.
I run a heat emitter at night but I'll move it a bit closer to her. She is a funny one though, if i move she usually moves to, so i don't know if she will stay put.
She is the smartest of my beardies, she actually ACTS like a beardie lol. The other 2 not so much lol.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You can get non dairy organic soy yogurt (flavored or unflavored), or a non dairy acidophiliz either
one will be fine.
As long as the tank is staying a little warmer, there is no need to move it if she is comfortable right
now.
Let us know how the test came out, it was positive for coccidia or something else?

Tracie

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I finally got the report from the vet, I'll attach it here. The upper section of the report was the 2nd sample the lower was the 1st sample a month or so earlier. The 2nd is now showing pinworm that the 1st one did not, that is concerning to me because I've been even more anal than i was before about keeping her habitat clean.
Is there anything besides heat that i can use to kill Cocidia that will kill on contact?
My girlfriend leaves on vacation in the morning and i plan to break down her whole setup and resanitize everything, I'll go buy what ever will work.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I finally got the report from the vet, I'll attach it here. The upper section of the report was the 2nd sample the lower was the 1st sample a month or so earlier. The 2nd is now showing pinworm that the 1st one did not, that is concerning to me because I've been even more anal than i was before about keeping her habitat clean.
Is there anything besides heat that i can use to kill Cocidia that will kill on contact?
My girlfriend leaves on vacation in the morning and i plan to break down her whole setup and resanitize everything, I'll go buy what ever will work.
Please get some F 10 found on ebay or Amazon - it's a vet concentrate and works great

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Thats kindda what i had in mind. I asked my vet about it and he didn't even know what it is, which makes me think he isn't experienced enough to put a lot of faith in. So far I've gotten way better advice and answers here. It's friggen hard to find a good reptile vet
😞😡🤬

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thats kindda what i had in mind. I asked my vet about it and he didn't even know what it is, which makes me think he isn't experienced enough to put a lot of faith in. So far I've gotten way better advice and answers here. It's friggen hard to find a good reptile vet
😞😡🤬
Heres a website to find a reptile vet in your area if your in a small area/ town type in a bigger cities zip code
www.arav.org

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I have tried that one, it list all horrible ones I've tried here, I'll try again though and see if anyone else is listed. Thank you btw :)

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom