Blackbeard, sunken eyes after vet yesterday

rango101

So I posted here yesterday because I took my beardie to the vet yesterday for a wellness exam and he was fine, then he started blackbearding and acting funny. As of now he looks even worse, black beard closed eyes that are sunken in, won't eat anything. I attached the bloodwork from yesterday. Should I take him back to the vet, is there anything I can do for him?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 6.36.39 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 6.36.39 AM.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 105

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So I posted here yesterday because I took my beardie to the vet yesterday for a wellness exam and he was fine, then he started blackbearding and acting funny. As of now he looks even worse, black beard closed eyes that are sunken in, won't eat anything. I attached the bloodwork from yesterday. Should I take him back to the vet, is there anything I can do for him?
Please post a pic of his tank and lighting --- I am going to flag the post to Tracie shes our vet tech mod and good at reading test results -
@Drache613

rango101

Original Poster
Please post a pic of his tank and lighting --- I am going to flag the post to Tracie shes our vet tech mod and good at reading test results -
@Drache613
here's his house, he has a arcadia desert 12% UVB in the cage basking spot 100F and cool side 82F

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 9.12.01 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 9.12.01 AM.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 82

rango101

Original Poster
Ok so your basking bulb and UVB is good -- can you take a pic of him now w/ the black beard - were you in the room when the exam was done?
I wasn't in the room when the exam was done, they did tell me that he was very stressed for the blood draw

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 6.42.25 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 6.42.25 AM.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 77

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I wasn't in the room when the exam was done, they did tell me that he was very stressed for the blood draw
Ok yep something is going on -- so you dont know how the blood was drawn - like the spot they took it from - most blood draws are taken thru the tail I believe - hes in distress or pain - Tracie isnt on till late at night - she needs to take a look -- I would keep him as comfortable as you can - good temps in the tank and his UVB - he is definitely not feeling good

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a dark beard. They may have hurt him during the blood draw possibly, it happens sometimes.
Can he support himself on all fours or is he limping?
The uric acid is VERY low, so that is very strange. The calcium levels are fine, within normal range.
The AST (liver enzymes) are elevated. What was the reason that prompted you to take him in?
To your knowledge, did they give any shots/boosters, etc?

Tracie

rango101

Original Poster
Hello,

That is a dark beard. They may have hurt him during the blood draw possibly, it happens sometimes.
Can he support himself on all fours or is he limping?
The uric acid is VERY low, so that is very strange. The calcium levels are fine, within normal range.
The AST (liver enzymes) are elevated. What was the reason that prompted you to take him in?
To your knowledge, did they give any shots/boosters, etc?

Tracie
He is ADV positive so I just take him in to monitor bloodwork occasionally. It's just weird because he was totally normal before I took him in. The vet said the bloodwork was fine, they didn't put any units for the AST so I wasn't sure if that was elevated or not. I don't think they did anything else to him. Is there anything I can do for him or maybe I should just take him back to the vet? Just not sure if that would stress him out more

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
He is ADV positive so I just take him in to monitor bloodwork occasionally. It's just weird because he was totally normal before I took him in. The vet said the bloodwork was fine, they didn't put any units for the AST so I wasn't sure if that was elevated or not. I don't think they did anything else to him. Is there anything I can do for him or maybe I should just take him back to the vet? Just not sure if that would stress him out more
Did you call the vet to see what exactly was done when you wasn’t present? I would let them know he was fine before bringing him in and now he’s consistently been black bearding since you left. I know that vet visit are not cheap so I would ask are they willing to do a recheck to check him out without being required to pay again since again he was fine before bringing him in.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It might stress him out taking him in again so soon. I am really wondering if the blood draw hurt him
or if they held him too tightly when doing the blood draw. I have been present during a few blood draws
& they bulge their eyes sometimes because it does not feel good.
I am not sure if that is the case or not but possible. How is he doing today, has his beard cleared up at
all yet?

Tracie

rango101

Original Poster
Hello,

It might stress him out taking him in again so soon. I am really wondering if the blood draw hurt him
or if they held him too tightly when doing the blood draw. I have been present during a few blood draws
& they bulge their eyes sometimes because it does not feel good.
I am not sure if that is the case or not but possible. How is he doing today, has his beard cleared up at
all yet?

Tracie
Ok yeah, I think it must have been the blood draw. He's black bearding less today and he even accepted a hornworm so I think he's slowly starting to feel better.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh that is good news then. I hope they didn't make him struggle too much because they can
strain their back or their tail that way if they didn't have the correct hold on him. They use a
21 gauge needle to draw & going into the caudal vein, it is relatively a deep stick so it does hurt
them some, as it does us.
That is good news he is looking better & ate a hornworm too.

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom