Black spot on tail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody knows what this could be? Nothing has changed in 6 years of owning her. She has a nubbin from the previous owner I got her from. He had housed her with another bearded dragon.

It's been there for a week, doesn't seem to be growing more? (As of yet.. let's hope it doesn't though). I have bathed her and keep trying to. I have owned several lizards throughout my life.... never seen this & I'm so concerned.

Is this emergent? Can I do at home treatments?

Please help. I'm worried about my baby girl. I have called vets offices around me due to the holidays. I can't find a vet avaliable close enough to where we are.

Attachments

• 20211123_103434.jpg
    20211123_103434.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 140
  • 20211123_103439.jpg
    20211123_103439.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 92
  • 20211123_103450.jpg
    20211123_103450.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 20211123_103453.jpg
    20211123_103453.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 80

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Anybody knows what this could be? Nothing has changed in 6 years of owning her. She has a nubbin from the previous owner I got her from. He had housed her with another bearded dragon.

It's been there for a week, doesn't seem to be growing more? (As of yet.. let's hope it doesn't though). I have bathed her and keep trying to. I have owned several lizards throughout my life.... never seen this & I'm so concerned.

Is this emergent? Can I do at home treatments?

Please help. I'm worried about my baby girl. I have called vets offices around me due to the holidays. I can't find a vet avaliable close enough to where we are.
I am not sure what that is --- do you any insects left in the tank like crickets or super worms --- I am gonna have AHBD take a look --

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it may not be serious but since it popped up after 6 years it would be good to have a vet see it. Even if you can't get a quick appointment you can have the assurance that she will be seen in the near future. In the meantime don't bathe her but dab some watered down betadine on it every day and neosporin as well. If it heals before your vet visit you can always cancel.

Toothless1023

Original Poster
I am not sure what that is --- do you any insects left in the tank like crickets or super worms --- I am gonna have AHBD take a look --
No. I make sure she eats all her crickets & I don't do super worms because, I hate cutting off their heads. I've used everything. Super worms just arent for me. We do get these small bugs that go all over.. maybe one of them got into her task?

Toothless1023

Original Poster
Hi there, it may not be serious but since it popped up after 6 years it would be good to have a vet see it. Even if you can't get a quick appointment you can have the assurance that she will be seen in the near future. In the meantime don't bathe her but dab some watered down betadine on it every day and neosporin as well. If it heals before your vet visit you can always cancel.
Amazing. Thank you, I will give this a try. I called early this morning to get one set. Unfortunately, the soonest was Wednesday Morning. I'll keep everyone updated.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
No. I make sure she eats all her crickets & I don't do super worms because, I hate cutting off their heads. I've used everything. Super worms just arent for me. We do get these small bugs that go all over.. maybe one of them got into her task?
Out of curiosity, why would you cut the heads off super worms before feeding?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Indo, some people believe that the superworm or mealworm could eat it's way out of the reptile's stomach [ it's not true of course ] and so the myth was started and spread for years. Occasionally they CAN [ reportedly ] give a very slight nip on a lizard's mouth but that's so rare that it isn't really a concern.

Toothless1023

Original Poster
Toothless, what kind of tiny black bugs, are you able to get pictures ?

Toothless, what kind of tiny black bugs, are you able to get pictures ?
This one just happens to be a dead one in my window seal that I hadn't wiped yet. They are all over in the summer. No matter what we do they never go away. They also stink if you do kill them. We call them "stink bugs" but, I doubt that's what they actually are. They usually die as soon as cold weather hits. I would say they're about the size of half a pinky nail.

Attachments

• 20211130_151854.jpg
    20211130_151854.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 20211130_151827.jpg
    20211130_151827.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 93

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
I've always heard it could eat them from the inside. I thought it was odd. But, never wanted to chance it. So, when she's gets them my husband beheads them for her.
Weird. I've never heard that before.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
This one just happens to be a dead one in my window seal that I hadn't wiped yet. They are all over in the summer. No matter what we do they never go away. They also stink if you do kill them. We call them "stink bugs" but, I doubt that's what they actually are. They usually die as soon as cold weather hits. I would say they're about the size of half a pinky nail.
That looks like a Western box elder bug, they do congregate around houses. I don't think it would be the cause of the black spot but at this point no one knows what has happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom