Black beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beardie name(s)
Speedy
i have no idead what this means, usally he has a small black beard but ive also heard that a black beard means they are stressed, is that true and if so, is he okay?
full

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post a pic of the dragon https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic
How old is the dragon ? Please post pics of the tank and lighting-- basking temps what are they and how are you taking them NO stick ons please ---
Black beard means distress pain -- is there another dragon in the house -- is he housed w/ another dragon -- are you using any colored bulbs?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
We need husbandry info --- we cant figure this out w/ out his back ground please
Karrie

DragonMaster9817

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Speedy
my bearded dragon is five years old, i am currentley using a heat pad and sand but im tryig to move him into tiles and a CHE heater, i only use the flourecent bulbs recommended by pet stores and i use zilla basking spot lamp (non-colored), and i am currentley moving him from a dry pellet diet to a diet full of greens, veggies, crickets, silkworms, and hornworms
full

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please do not listen to the pet stores -- they usually give bad advice and most do not know what they are talking about-- first you need a good UVB and for the size of your tank I would recommend and 24" fixture w/ reflector like this https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html the Reptisun is out of stock so please get this one its actually better than the Reptisun one get a 22" and these are in stock the Reptisun one is out of stock now these need to be changed out once a year I recommend the month before --- Depending on the screen on your tank would determine where the UVB needs to go -- if the screen is a wide hole type it can sit on top if its a fine screen like a screen door it needs to go inside the tank w/ basking distance 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor- he needs to be able to sit underneath - for a wide hole 8-10 inches w/ basking decor directly underneath
Please get rid of the sand --tiles are great for substrate please get a slated ceramic tile so he does not slip - they can be layed in the tank loose w/ a thick shop paper towel underneath to catch the watery urate -- easy clean up w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 solution - I tiled my 4x2x2 for $13 --
Please get rid of the heat mat dragons heat from their backs not stomachs -- a CHE is only needed if the tank is dropping below 65 at nite and not over 75 -- dragons like it cool and dark - your basking bulb needs to be able to keep temps 95-110 for adult and that temp needs to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer taken where he sits for basking -- NO stick ons please they are inaccurate- you should have 3 temps in the tank basking 95-110 middle of tank 90's and cool side of tank 80's - he needs more climbing decor please -- you can look outside for logs branches etc they would need to be baked before using to kill whatever is living inside or you can look at Pet Smart for some really nice decor for dragons --they are easy to keep clean
As far as the black beard it could be from improper temps in the tank incorrect UVB - its not real dark but he is in some distress-- you dont want it going pitch black - the two most inportant things in the tank are the basking temps and good UVB - that is going to control his overall health and behavior- its great your switching him off the pellets etc and fresh greens are the best for him along w/ a good staple insect here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
If you need anymore help please ask -- I would get your temps and UVB straightened out and see if the black beard goes away
Karrie

DragonMaster9817

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Speedy
thank you and I want to do all this but there is one tiny thing that mess the whole thing up, I'm only 13 and I don't control my own bank account (which has the resources I need), it is controlled by my dad which my bearded dragon also lives at my dads house in my room, so I can't really fix it right now. also I have a final today so I'm kind of worried about that right now, in fact, as I'm typing this right now, my final is next period.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please let your dad read this post - the two most important things in that tank are the basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer they need to be 95-110-- and UVB this is extremely important- your dragon will not be able to live w/ out proper UVB meaning NO COILS-- get back w/ me if you more questions or need help
-- your dragon will not eat or will eventually quit eating w/ out these things-

DragonMaster9817

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Speedy
KarrieRee":20q0kjwy said:
Please let your dad read this post - the two most important things in that tank are the basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer they need to be 95-110-- and UVB this is extremely important- your dragon will not be able to live w/ out proper UVB meaning NO COILS-- get back w/ me if you more questions or need help
-- your dragon will not eat or will eventually quit eating w/ out these things-
I have news! i now have a digital probe thermometer and a UVB light! thank you for all your help

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What kind of UVB did you get and where in the tank is it-- I need to help you place that UVB to do any good ---- brand and bulb and is it a T 5 or a T 8 ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's good to hear you are improving the tank setup conditions. What type of UVB did
you get?
I hope your dragon is doing better, keep us posted on him.

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your uvb looks like a T 8 if it is it needs to be unobstructed no screen please or inside the tank w/ basking decor directly under the uvb 6-8 inches- T 8's are not strong enough to go thru the screen it blocks 30% of the uvb rays--- and those need to be changed out in 6 months I recommend every 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom