Black Beard with spikes seemingly falling off

Melike

Hi. My little brother has a bearded dragon and brought his recent black beard to my attention. We got him about 5 months ago. Apparently he’s had a black beard for about three weeks. We thought it was stress and caused by him going into brumation. Today, however, he showed me that a few spikes from the dragon’s beard seemed like they were coming off. Do y’all think he’s sick? What could be causing it?

Attachments

• B95AD404-50DC-43B4-A43C-150B9F1F0997.jpeg
    B95AD404-50DC-43B4-A43C-150B9F1F0997.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 210
  • 4182930C-91B9-4B88-9721-13C6143D31F2.jpeg
    4182930C-91B9-4B88-9721-13C6143D31F2.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 116

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi. My little brother has a bearded dragon and brought his recent black beard to my attention. We got him about 5 months ago. Apparently he’s had a black beard for about three weeks. We thought it was stress and caused by him going into brumation. Today, however, he showed me that a few spikes from the dragon’s beard seemed like they were coming off. Do y’all think he’s sick? What could be causing it?
What are you using for a uvb? I am not sure on the spike issue so I am flagging post to some who can help
@AHBD
@Drache613

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is very strange that the spikes are coming off. It doesn't look raw. Has his beard shed
recently or before he slowed down some?
You could use some silver gel to try & moisturize that area to help with the spikes. It looks like
there is a slight lump on or in his beard, or, is that just the angle of the picture?
The beard being dark isn't good. Has he eaten or drank anything?

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree with putting the silver gel on it. That almost looks fungal. Can you post pics of the tank ? Also what are his temps. and is there a damp area or water bowl that he might be laying in ?

Last edited:

Melike

Original Poster
Hello,

That is very strange that the spikes are coming off. It doesn't look raw. Has his beard shed
recently or before he slowed down some?
You could use some silver gel to try & moisturize that area to help with the spikes. It looks like
there is a slight lump on or in his beard, or, is that just the angle of the picture?
The beard being dark isn't good. Has he eaten or drank anything?

Tracie
I don’t believe his beard has shed recently. I think the lump is due to the angle? According to my brother he eats often enough and ate 5 super worms the day before but we offer him water only sporadically. His previous owner told us he usually got his water from his greens. Additionally, would neosporin work for his beard, as well?

Melike

Original Poster
I agree with putting the silver gel on it. That almost looks fungal. Can you post pics of the tank ? Also what are his temps. and is there a damp area or water bowl that he might be laying in ?
There is no damp area. I’ve attached some pictures of the setup and the lights below. The humidity is 44 and the temperature is 84F. Should we visit the vet if it is fungal?

Attachments

• B9E4B5AF-7CDF-4742-A650-B823CB58B880.jpeg
    B9E4B5AF-7CDF-4742-A650-B823CB58B880.jpeg
    247.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 43F58615-4EE4-4766-A23A-A6C3F9D37C88.jpeg
    43F58615-4EE4-4766-A23A-A6C3F9D37C88.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 87
  • 359C7FC3-B333-4238-B297-E431513F4EC5.jpeg
    359C7FC3-B333-4238-B297-E431513F4EC5.jpeg
    248.4 KB · Views: 86

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
There is no damp area. I’ve attached some pictures of the setup and the lights below. The humidity is 44 and the temperature is 84F. Should we visit the vet if it is fungal?
ok I am not sure what the UVB is but it looks like its not a regular UVB -- 18 watt is not strong enough to go thru your screen and I would get rid of the UVB itself - it looks like it has LED lights - you want a fluorescent linear tube like this 24 watt w/ the 12% bulb Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Heating & Lighting | PetSmart
please look there at Pet Smart if you have one in your town or you can get one like this
you will need to change the bulb out to a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia 12% bulb -- please get this right away -- your dragon is not getting any UVB and this will be detrimental to his health --
Your surface basking temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - -- you want two of them - I would get rid of the loose substrate in the tank - You want a digital probe hygrometer - placed on the back center of your wall in the tank 40-50% is optimal -- analogs are not real good
Zoo Med has the hygrometer and the digital probes -
and yes if its fungal it needs to be treated by a reptile vet - www.arav.org type in a bigger cities zip code if your in a small town --

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It might be good to get him off the loose substrate since he has what appears to be a fungal infection or other trauma right now so to be safe you want to keep any small foreign particles from getting lodged in that area. You can use non adhesive shelf liner if you choose to change out the loose substrate. You can even use some folded newspaper with the shelf liner on top to make it more cushiony. Maybe a taller basking log as well to get him closer to the uvb .

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today?
Definitely consider getting him off of the loose substrate, as AHBD suggested. That will help
immensely to cut down on dirt, debris, bacteria & possibly help reduce infection or fungal issues
that could be developing.

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom