Black beard. Dark tail tip, discomfort

nml0321

Beardie name(s)
Rocco
Help, my beardie has been through a lot over the last couple months. Blood transfusion due to a ruptured egg and internal bleeding, then 5 weeks ago had a partial spay. The right ovary couldn't be removed because of growth from the last incident. Today, she was running around, happy and was laying on the couch when she decided she was done. Jumped off of me before I could stop her and landed gracefully on the area rug. Trotted off to another room then was quiet. When I went to check on her. I noticed her beard was black, her tail tip is dark and she is arching her back. When I picked her up, she was very tense. All signs of being in some sort of pain. I gave her some pain medication left over from the surgery and put her in her enclosure to rest. Her eyes are dilated and she only moves when I touch her. I'm worried she has internal bleeding again.

Attachments

• 20220808_211546.jpg
    20220808_211546.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 20220808_211606.jpg
    20220808_211606.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 87

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Help, my beardie has been through a lot over the last couple months. Blood transfusion due to a ruptured egg and internal bleeding, then 5 weeks ago had a partial spay. The right ovary couldn't be removed because of growth from the last incident. Today, she was running around, happy and was laying on the couch when she decided she was done. Jumped off of me before I could stop her and landed gracefully on the area rug. Trotted off to another room then was quiet. When I went to check on her. I noticed her beard was black, her tail tip is dark and she is arching her back. When I picked her up, she was very tense. All signs of being in some sort of pain. I gave her some pain medication left over from the surgery and put her in her enclosure to rest. Her eyes are dilated and she only moves when I touch her. I'm worried she has internal bleeding again.
We need Tracie our vet tech mod on here to take a look- how far was the jump- it could of injured the surgery spot -
@Drache613

nml0321

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocco
It was about a foot and a half jump. She landed okay and ran off like it was nothing. I know they mask pain, but it wasn't even 5 minutes before she started black bearding.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It was about a foot and a half jump. She landed okay and ran off like it was nothing. I know they mask pain, but it wasn't even 5 minutes before she started black bearding.
She is in pain and hurt herself - please make sure she has a good uvb-- please no coils- they are inadequate

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It is on a screen. What is the recommendation for UVB. This is what her vet recommended I use for her.
Screens block 30% of the rays - we always recommend a long tube fixture w/ a mvb- it is best to have a back up since the uvb rays deminish as the bulb gets older- I recommend you get a 24" zoo med w/ a reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb-- she needs the uvb to help her heal -

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, absolutely agree, jumping that 2 feet has likely injured her from her previous surgery, thus
her black beard, etc.
What you need to do is keep her as calm as you can, be sure the lighting is adjusted in her tank
to where she doesn't need to climb to bask right now.
If she doesn't improve pretty soon, I would recommend getting her back to the vet to have them
look her over. Watch for blood in her stool, but hopefully she isn't having trouble with internal
bleeding.
Keep us posted on her, we are worried about her!

Tracie

nml0321

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocco
Hello,

Yes, absolutely agree, jumping that 2 feet has likely injured her from her previous surgery, thus
her black beard, etc.
What you need to do is keep her as calm as you can, be sure the lighting is adjusted in her tank
to where she doesn't need to climb to bask right now.
If she doesn't improve pretty soon, I would recommend getting her back to the vet to have them
look her over. Watch for blood in her stool, but hopefully she isn't having trouble with internal
bleeding.
Keep us posted on her, we are worried about her!

Tracie
Hello, I've left a message with the vet to see if I can get her back in today. I checked on her this morning and she doesn't look any better. I can tell there is something wrong by looking at her. I'll keep you posted. Thank you.

nml0321

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocco
Rocco was dropped off at the vet this morning. They will be examining her and running tests to see if they can determine what is going on. They are concerned as her eyes have started to turn grey and she is very sluggish. Same behavior she had last time when she had to receive the blood transfusion. Fingers crossed she is fine and I can bring her home!

nml0321

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocco
Just received a call from the vet. She is pot bellied, discoloration of the gums. They are going to do blood work and check her red blood cell count as well as an ultrasound. Until then, they are keeping her calm and comfortable.

nml0321

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocco
Sorry, for the late response. It has taken some time to heal from the experience with Rocco. It turns out the growth they couldn't remove on her right ovary was a very aggressive tumor. In 5 weeks it spread into her liver and through her abdominal wall. My daughter and I had to do the right thing and put her to rest. We allowed them to do an autopsy as we felt guilty not knowing if there was more that we could have done to avoid this. When they called with the results, we were assured, we did everything possible to prolong her life, but unfortunately this was something that could not be cured or fixed.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Sorry, for the late response. It has taken some time to heal from the experience with Rocco. It turns out the growth they couldn't remove on her right ovary was a very aggressive tumor. In 5 weeks it spread into her liver and through her abdominal wall. My daughter and I had to do the right thing and put her to rest. We allowed them to do an autopsy as we felt guilty not knowing if there was more that we could have done to avoid this. When they called with the results, we were assured, we did everything possible to prolong her life, but unfortunately this was something that could not be cured or fixed.
I am so sorry to hear about Rocco- I wasnt aware of anything going on w/ the ovary- last I was reading was about the jump she had had --- I am assuming they found this when you took her in from the jump?

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom