Birth Defect!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coliosis

Juvie Member
So a couple months ago we brought home Mika (hypotrans leatherback female) and Maalik (hypotrans male) who were around a year old and skin and bones :( Here's Mika when we first got her:
DSC02371.jpg

Then a few days later, maybe a week, she lays 14 eggs! We had no idea she was gravid! Here she is after laying them:
DSC02467.jpg

So as you can see she was in no shape to be laying eggs in the first place, and too young. So I emailed the guy I got her from and may have freaked on him a little....lol. I was told she wasn't housed with a male so it must have happened while he had all his beardies out together while he cleaned the tanks. So if Maalik isn't the father, it would have been one of his other hypotrans beardies...great...

Well the eggs started hatching a few days ago, and so far hypotrans X young/malnourished/underweight hypotrans leatherback =
DSC02751.jpg

DSC02761.jpg

DSC02756.jpg

DSC02760.jpg

DSC02759.jpg

Poor lil' guy :( His hands/feet are backwards and he doesn't really have a left leg. His tail is kinked in about 3 places too. Think he'll survive?? I got him to eat a bit of baby food yesterday, I hope all his insides were developed normally. Any advice would be appreciated!!

william488

Juvie Member
I don't have any advice, as I am not knowledgeable about babies. I just wanted to post and say i hope he makes it. Sometimes little ones like that with deformities have the biggest little spirits and attitudes. Would be neat how he/she makes up for those issues. Good luck.

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you, I hope so too! I think you're right, for being deformed he seems pretty happy and healthy. It's actually kind of convenient that his tail kinks over to the left because he uses it a bit like a crutch since that back left leg is really underdeveloped.

Hopefully I'll find some poop in the tank when I get home so I know his digestive system is working...

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
I'm taking in a misshapen beardie from Tom Constance, hopefully arriving tomorrow.

[ Invalid URL Removed / p= t=178438 f=51 ]

You can try to contact him or some other breeders to see how you should handle this. I've actually talked to Tom on the phone and he prefers not to cull, so he might have experience helping you care for this little guy.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
I had an accidental hypotrans x hypotrans breeding last year that resulted in a couple of babies just like that. They lived a few weeks and got around just fine. Sadly, the entire clutch failed to thrive and only two lived more than 3 months. This year the same hypotrans female bred to a hypo het trans male and again, two deformed babies that lived a short while. The rest of the clutch is thriving thank goodness. Good luck.

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you, I did contact Tom. Quasi is so cute! Have you got her?
RioReptiles":27s93usu said:
I had an accidental hypotrans x hypotrans breeding last year that resulted in a couple of babies just like that. They lived a few weeks and got around just fine. Sadly, the entire clutch failed to thrive and only two lived more than 3 months. This year the same hypotrans female bred to a hypo het trans male and again, two deformed babies that lived a short while. The rest of the clutch is thriving thank goodness. Good luck.

Dang. I hope my babies live....I guess we'll see. Thanks for the info

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor little buggers....what Cheryl [ BD.co ] said about her trans to trans breeding is where the problem lies, not with your dragon being malnourished. The trans lines are all more closely realated to each other than normal scaled dragons, and most breeders will not breed trans to trans [ Cheryl's was unintentional ] because of the risk of deformities. Newer breeders that don't know this, or just beardie owners who have a pair and want to breed need to be aware that it often produces deformity and failure to thrive. If breeding trans, it should be to a non trans dragon, it can also be a het. for trans or normal scaled or leatherback.

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Original Poster
This pairing was unintentional as well, just for the record! lol and happened before they were in my care. I figured maybe their small size would be partially because Mika was malnourished? Some of the eggs even have translucent spots from lack of calcium I'm assuming? I hope all the rest of the babies are properly formed... We still have 6 eggs to hatch, 1 of them collapsed a couple days ago but hasn't hatched :s

I've been feeding them organic turkey and mixed veg baby food mixed with calcium and a bit of multivit, but I'm yet to see a poop...

Well hopefully if anyone is looking into breeding translucents they stumble upon this thread and will think twice.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah, I read that yours were accidental as well, so there's no faulting you in any way at all. It's nice that you took the poor skinny things, and I'm sure your'e going to beef that girl up and give her a good life.

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Original Poster
The little guy with deformed legs passed away a few days ago :( Everyone else seems to be doing well, eating lots of 1/4" crickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom