Bioactive soil recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcceptableGeek

Hatchling Member
Please share what mixture you're using, layers, and clean up crew bugs. Hope those of you using have had success. I'm looking for some inspiration. Thanks. Pictures welcomed.

Thanks

thebiodude.com has everything you need. They supply different substrates for different environments as well as cleaner crews, plants. Josh is great source of information and help.

AcceptableGeek

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I tried his stuff several months ago. I wasn't a big fan of the mixture and i never really saw much cleaner crew activity. Too dusty and yes I did water as recommended. And my beardie had some really bad shedding problems. And her scales got discolored. I'm if I did something wrong or what. She's good now. My wife and I were able to get her bad shed off. She is back on tile now doing well. I still want to try bioactive soil but maybe a homebrew.

TheBeardedSaint

Hatchling Member
I know I'm late on this but this is the substrate I'm gonna be using (Haven't put it in yet will update if everything goes well =] ]

I'm using
Organic Top Soil, Charcoal, Coco Coir, Perlite, Peat Moss, and Sphagnum moss.

The Charcoal is mostly for the springtails because they love to breed around it.
The coco coir is to help maintain structure when the bearded dragon digs a hole.
Perlite, using it instead of sand
Peat moss is for the plants
And I'm not sure what sphagnum moss is good for just know if it's available you use it.

Edit: I'm not using a drainage layer because it's not high enough for one it's only 3 inches until it reaches the door.

TheBeardedSaint

Hatchling Member
TheBeardedSaint":1kw1t7ue said:
I know I'm late on this but this is the substrate I'm gonna be using (Haven't put it in yet will update if everything goes well =] ]

I'm using

The Charcoal is mostly for the springtails because they love to breed around it.
The coco coir is to help maintain structure when the bearded dragon digs a hole.
And I'm not sure what sphagnum moss is good for just know if it's available you use it.

Edit: I'm not using a drainage layer because it's not high enough for one it's only 3 inches until it reaches the door.

Okay so I couldn't get the coco coir but in 5 days I'll mix everything in and will update if it all goes well. =]

TheBeardedSaint

Hatchling Member
TheBeardedSaint":2g477t2x said:
TheBeardedSaint":2g477t2x said:

I'm using

Okay so I couldn't get the coco coir but in 5 days I'll mix everything in and will update if it all goes well. =]

OKAY! So I've done everything mixed it all together my humidity stays at roughly 45% my beardeddragon is doing completely fine and everything looks good! I haven't added the cleaner crew but I feel like they'll be fine in it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abby999
Top Bottom