BIO SETUP REPTISUN 10.0 WILL IT SUSTAIN PLANTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeardedSaint

Hatchling Member
So I am going Bioactive for my Beardy and was wondering if a Reptisun 10.0 will sustain plant growth? or not. if not do you know an alternative?

I believe that it will. The ReptiSun 10.0 is essentially a smaller version of the sun. However, if you want more light, you can buy a fixture that allows for two bulbs and then add a full spectrum fluorescent bulb along with the ReptiSun 10.0. Good for you for doing a Bioactive setup! The extra light will also be good for the bearded dragon.

But yes by itself, the ReptiSun will sustain plants. Also if you get a T5 instead of the T8 that will be a stronger light with more UVB which is great for both the beardie and plants.

Post pictures of your setup when it's all done. We would all love to see it.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
T5s are used for plants quite a lot. Most of the fixtures I see are available from hydroponics shops rather than reptile shops. The heat may be tough on plants and they are likely to be trampled before other issues but T5 light should work. You could get a dual fixture to include a daylight bulb as mentioned too http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/24...arcadia-12-and-6-5k-day-light-bulbs-included/ Or daisy chain a couple of grow light fixtures together. I think the bigger issue is keeping them from being trampled or eaten rather than lighting though.

TheBeardedSaint

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
maddylemon":3ou1qued said:
I believe that it will. The ReptiSun 10.0 is essentially a smaller version of the sun. However, if you want more light, you can buy a fixture that allows for two bulbs and then add a full spectrum fluorescent bulb along with the ReptiSun 10.0. Good for you for doing a Bioactive setup! The extra light will also be good for the bearded dragon.

But yes by itself, the ReptiSun will sustain plants. Also if you get a T5 instead of the T8 that will be a stronger light with more UVB which is great for both the beardie and plants.

Post pictures of your setup when it's all done. We would all love to see it.

Okay thank you! My bioactive setup is kinda coming together I'm still a long way from it and new to this website so I do not know how to post pictures yet. I do have the plants already but I am still waiting to complete my foam background for her before I start adding the new substrate, lighting etc!

TheBeardedSaint

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":3rui8v5q said:
T5s are used for plants quite a lot. Most of the fixtures I see are available from hydroponics shops rather than reptile shops. The heat may be tough on plants and they are likely to be trampled before other issues but T5 light should work. You could get a dual fixture to include a daylight bulb as mentioned too http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/24...arcadia-12-and-6-5k-day-light-bulbs-included/ Or daisy chain a couple of grow light fixtures together. I think the bigger issue is keeping them from being trampled or eaten rather than lighting though.

Most of them are succulents I do have some herbs to sacrifice. Thank you for the links though I don't think I will be buying it bit to expensive been spending hundred of dollars on 2 things for this bearded dragon.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
How big is the enclosure, how far is the light from the plants and is it a T5 or a T8?

If you want happy plants in your setup you need lots of light. More than you’d probably expect. A reptisun lamp is fine for plants, spectrum wise, but your more likely to have issues with it not being strong enough. A T8 is about enough to keep a pothos happy but small and slow growing.

Most succulents and herbs, greens and grasses are moderate to high light plants. A T8 will not support them for healthy growth, it would be “shade” level of light. I have a two socket T5 lamp for my succulent garden that is about 12-18” above the plants - they are ok but not particularly lush or thriving like they would outside. For the snake plant in my dragons cage I have a dedicated LED spot light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom