BIIIGGG CAGE FOR SIMBA! (and perhaps a friend?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReptiEpIc

Hey everyone! I got this great deal on a cage...and I think my dragon is gonna loooooovvvveeee it!

1800Lx600Wx550H

So...what do you guys think? perhaps when fire is older (shes juvenile now and a female cause simba is male) she can move in with simba? I now it's not a good idea to house two of them together, but I think this is about enough space for both and if they fight,I'll just separate them (I have a backup cage)

yes...I know and I realize that this is means alot of things, I have to buy double the lights to maintain the temp, I'll have to buy alot of more accessories. New tiles, but there is something I'm way excited about :blob8: :blob5: ....
Building a new rock structure out of polystyrene! (similar to slacker's) because I now have alot of space to make it look more awesome!

----PLEASE REPLY--- :
1.Do you guys think it's ok to house them together (when fire is adult of coarse)
2. Is the cage too big or is there any problems experienced with such a big cage?
3. I am not planning to, but will the size be suitable for 3 beardies? (2 female 1 male)

thanks! its great to be part of this forum!
Repti-EPIC :D

kcsearle

Hatchling Member
mine were house together, ONLY until i got my cages bulit. Now that all my cages are done, each of my girls are in their own viv. The only time i am planning on housing any together is for breeding.

AussieOutlaw

Hatchling Member
Beardies aren't always very happy being housed with one another maybe 5% of the time there alright and the other 95% ends up with serious injury or even death so better to be on the safe side and house em separately or watch none stop and i mean NON STOP to see if they get along. but i STRONGLY recommend and many others will say the same thing dont house together

ReptiEpIc

Original Poster
Ok, thanks for the replies everyone, but like I said... I have a backup cage that will house fire for a loong time

pimmsoclock87

Hatchling Member
unless you want LOADS of little beardies running around i wouldn't house your male and female together. It can only take a few seconds for the deed to be done

andrewlloyd

Juvie Member
Housing them together is fine in my eyes.
Your tank is big enough for 2 beardies, and incase one is in a bad mood the other can easily have enough room to keep clear of it for a while.

If you are going to house them together, there are a couple things you need to do.

- if your male is living in the enclosure first DO NOT add in your female beardie, but instead take them out into a room and let them get to know each other first.
Clean the WHOLE tank with disinfectant, and move your basking/logs/etc around so it seems like a new enclosure to the male.
Once they have gotten to know each other, put them both in the enclosure at the same time.

- do the same process fif the female was living in the enclosure first too.

- if neither of them have been it it, still introduce them to each other first outside the enclosure then then introduce theenclosure to both to them at the same time.

- as said above, be prepared for them to mate, because with out a doubt, they will, IF you have given them the brumation period.
If you havent, then they may still mate, but the eggs (if there is any) will not be fertile, as the brumation period creates the eggs in the female (or i should say helps her to produce them) and also makes the males sperm fertile.

Ive been attending alot of reptile shows, and have done some basic and advanced courses of these guys, and i dont mean to sound rude but i think alot of you are mis-informed when it comes to housing 1 or more together and also a couple things about lighting/heating and fedding which i will post up when i get the chance.

As i live in Australia, and have now seen video of these guys, and recently seen in real life (3 at the 1 time i might add) and with the help of the courses and the general knowledge from some of the breeders down here, i know have alot better understanding on what makes these great reptiles tick!

Hope this helped you mate,
all the best.

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
Andrew LLoyd......I have to disagree with you 100%.
You have seen a video?..courses? Attended reptile shows? Most of us who own several dragons speak from real life experience when we suggest against housing bearded dragons together.
The only time bearded dragons SHOULD be housed together is for mating purposes only.

missnikki

and to be honest bearded dragons are solitary creatures they do not hang out with one another in the wild. and also i am nursing a female back from DEATH because someone was housing the female and male together and let him breed her whenever he wanted. not fair to the female and after the state that i got this bearded dragon in anyone who would want to house them together should not have them. over 500 dollars later, an eye gouged out and 9 missing toes and not to mention the scars she has and her tail bit off. come on you wanna risk this i know this first hand. dont. please for the bearded dragons sake please dont.

Kacymyree

Juvie Member
jortiz9758":c1ee9 said:
Andrew LLoyd......I have to disagree with you 100%.
You have seen a video?..courses? Attended reptile shows? Most of us who own several dragons speak from real life experience when we suggest against housing bearded dragons together.
The only time bearded dragons SHOULD be housed together is for mating purposes only.

Jortiz, I agree with you 100%! Why take the risk, or over breed a helpless female being housed with a male 24/7? Do the right thing, seperate your dragons :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom