BIG PROBLEM DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nina018

I feel like a really bad beardie owner,the worst.
I will start from the begining. I am 16 and have wanted a beardie for the longest time.I researched everything,built my own terrarium,bought lamps,evrything. When i got my beardie (july 20 2021) all was great,he was eating,being active.Then things went downhill.He stopped eating completly,so after a week of not eating i started force feeding (still am to this day).He kind of got better after that. Now,he can't use his legs,he has feeling in them (flinches when you touch his toes) but when he tries to move they go up and above his tail.Front ones kind of work,but most of the time lay flat along his body.To top it off he is 6 inches.He eats 2 dubias and every next one he spits out.I don't know what to do.First month he was on 10% uvb arcadia t8 and a 50w bulb,but when his feet started not working i upgraded to 12% +D3 uvb. I offer dubias and worms regularly but he just watches them,no intrest at all.They are dusted with calcium powder five days a week. His tank size is 100cm×50×50cm and he doesn't have any stress marks at all.Please help,i feel like crying and there are no reptile vets in my country (i don't live in the US)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm so sorry, I know this is heartbreaking for you. How were you taking the temperature ? It may be that there was not enough heat and uvb. There are other potential causes, some develop neurological issues but all of these things can be managed if things can be figured out. That was really ambitious and commendable of you to build the enclosure, can you post pictures of the enclosure, the lights and the baby ? You're not a bad owner, you were trying to do everything right !

Nina018

Original Poster
The temps are about 33 c° but when they are higher he hides under the tree with his mouth open. Humidity is always 35%

Attachments

• 20211025_093240.jpg
    20211025_093240.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 199
  • 20211025_093234.jpg
    20211025_093234.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 186
  • 20211025_093228.jpg
    20211025_093228.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 178

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Very nice tank, I can tell you spent a lot of time getting it all set up for him.
I agree with AHBD regarding the UVB. The tube is the correct one, but it
is mounted improperly there so he probably is not getting adequate rays.
I am glad to see you have the foil around to help but since it is mounted on
the back wall it makes it difficult for him to get full strength.
Can you get that mounted directly overhead? I think that would make a
huge difference. What type of calcium do you give him, powder with D3 or
without D3?

Tracie

Nina018

Original Poster
Hello,

Very nice tank, I can tell you spent a lot of time getting it all set up for him.
I agree with AHBD regarding the UVB. The tube is the correct one, but it
is mounted improperly there so he probably is not getting adequate rays.
I am glad to see you have the foil around to help but since it is mounted on
the back wall it makes it difficult for him to get full strength.
Can you get that mounted directly overhead? I think that would make a
huge difference. What type of calcium do you give him, powder with D3 or
without D3?

Tracie
But if it is straight over him,it will be too far away? Right now it is 7inches from him. Powder is with d3 i think.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would replace the UVB fixture -- so your tank is a 60 gallon -- please get a new fixture a 24" Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb
Arcadia ProT5 Kit - Desert 12% I am thinking your in the UK please order this right away they have one left -- if your not in the UK please let me know I will post a different website for you -- this is the issue --

Nina018

Original Poster
I would replace the UVB fixture -- so your tank is a 60 gallon -- please get a new fixture a 24" Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb
Arcadia ProT5 Kit - Desert 12% I am thinking your in the UK please order this right away they have one left -- if your not in the UK please let me know I will post a different website for you -- this is the issue --
I live in Serbia and t5 fixtures are not sold here. Amazon shipping is really expensive for me.

Nina018

Original Poster
The other baby beardies that the breeder sold are doing fine with 10% t8 uvb (my friend has one) just mine isn't.

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I could,but my parents aren't letting me,saying that it is too expensive. I don't have enough for it now,but will hopefully save enough.Thank you so much.
Ok so take the T 8 put it directly over the basking decor 6-8 inches w/ the tin foil behind the bulb-- it will reflect the uvb rays downward to her- change that bulb out in 6 I recommend 5 from install

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your baby today?
Go ahead & try mounting the UVB directly overhead just to cut down on any glare that might be going on
into his eyes & to increase the light intensity for him.
For now, I would use just calcium without D3. Sometimes too much D3 can cause toxicity, which could
lead to hypervitaminosis D.

Tracie

Nina018

Original Poster
Hi,he is active and trying to move but just can't. It's really sad watching him.He still won't eat but now when i show him the bugs he watches them for like 3 seconds,so progress i guess?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry he is having so much trouble.
Did you get the UVB tube mounted differently for him?
That is progress if he seems more interested in food right now. Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Nina018

Original Poster
Hi,here is an update. He still won't eat by himself but he isn't spiting them out anymore! He ate 10 worms yesterday and today he ate 7! Here is how i found him this morning.

Attachments

• 20211106_102435.jpg
    20211106_102435.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 124
  • 20211106_102425.jpg
    20211106_102425.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 118
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom