BIG change in behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beezer25

Hatchling Member
About half a month ago, Fred was sleeping underneath my bed and when he was trying to put Fred back in his tank, my Dad slid my bed right on the tip of Fred's tail. Once we got it off, Fred backed into a corner with his back fully spread, blackbearding and hissing at us. After a while, I put on a winter glove and picked him up and put him in his tank. I did it as gently as I could, but he was biting and squirming a lot.
After about a day, he was ok and i thougt everything was back to normal. Now every single time I let Fred out to wander about, he will go to sleep and when I try to get him back in his tank he does the whole flat back and blackbearding thing. it's getting really frustrating, I really like Fred and would not like to have to get rid of him because of this. He is totally ok when he is in his tank- I can pick him up, pet him and hand feed him- but whenever he is out of his tank it's like he is scared of me. Is there anything I can do to help him comfortable with me outside of his tank?

Before the incident with his tail, he was totally ok... Now i can't let him out of his tank.
Any advice is GREATLY appreciated

- Brian

Zoey

Sub-Adult Member
Ouch! :( That had to have hurt, and I'm sure Fred is pretty traumatized. That being said, I hope you won't give up on him and get rid of him. He either needs more time to get over it, or his tail may be injured. How does his tail look to you now? He may be in pain which is why he is acting this way.

Beezer25

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
There is a little dent at the tip of his tail from where the bed slid on it, but i've touched his tail and there was no reaction from him, i'm pretty sure his tail is ok now.

Beezer25

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I just took a picture of Fred's tail, like I said before it's a little dented but it doesn't seem to be giving him any problems
DSC00168.jpg

Zoey

Sub-Adult Member
Well Beezer25 I don't know what to tell you really. Maybe someone else can chime in and give their opinion, but to me a "dent" in the tail indicates that it may be broken. At the very least he's just traumatized by the incident. I'd keep doing what you are doing and handling him often so he gets used to you and trusts you again.

Beezer25

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for your help, I think I'm going to take him to the vet, it's about time for his checkup anyways

I would like to know what the vet said. I would think there's no major damage but it does sound like a break. No reaction to you touching it is a good sign, on one hand that he's not in constant pain. There may be nerve damage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom