Best UVB light and fixture for 120 gallon tank

ekgep92

Beardie name(s)
Rex
Hey everyone,

What are your recommendations for a 120 gallon tank UVB fixture and tube light? I am trying to replace mine and wanted to see what your thoughts were. I keep his UVB inside the tank, so I know he needs a T8, but it has been difficult to find a bulb that will fit my fixture and I need to replace it.

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
Hey everyone,

What are your recommendations for a 120 gallon tank UVB fixture and tube light? I am trying to replace mine and wanted to see what your thoughts were. I keep his UVB inside the tank, so I know he needs a T8, but it has been difficult to find a bulb that will fit my fixture and I need to replace it.
I personally use a zoo med reptisun terrarium hood with the 36 inch t8 tube bulb however from what i know despite having it in the cage t5s are still recommended. I plan on making the switch to a t5 because i think its stronger and better quality but im not positive. I'm not a professional especially not with lighting but ive gotten a lot of help from karrie ree (i am unsure on how to tag her)

ekgep92

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rex
I personally use a zoo med reptisun terrarium hood with the 36 inch t8 tube bulb however from what i know despite having it in the cage t5s are still recommended. I plan on making the switch to a t5 because i think its stronger and better quality but im not positive. I'm not a professional especially not with lighting but ive gotten a lot of help from karrie ree (i am unsure on how to tag her)
Thank you so much for the suggestions! I have been researching them, but the Arcadia 36 inch tube keeps going out of stock so I figured I'd try something else. Would you mount the T5 inside the tank? I wasn't 100% sure and didn't want to buy in case it would be too much inside the tank. We don't have any reptile shops around and it is hit or miss asking advice in Pet Smart.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you so much for the suggestions! I have been researching them, but the Arcadia 36 inch tube keeps going out of stock so I figured I'd try something else. Would you mount the T5 inside the tank? I wasn't 100% sure and didn't want to buy in case it would be too much inside the tank. We don't have any reptile shops around and it is hit or miss asking advice in Pet Smart.
There are 3 UVB's recommended here -- here are some links to them I use a 24" fixture for my 120 gallon tank -- you dont want the length of the tank
24" fixture Zoo Med comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you want a Retpisun 10.0 T 5
you can try Pet Smart for this one if you have one in your area
Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Light Fixtures | PetSmart you want the 12% bulb
or this one you will need to change the bulb out to the one posted above and you want the 2 ft or 24"

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
If the uvb can sit around 12 inches from the basking spot then a t5 10.0 uvb should be ok to be mounted inside. I've never personally worked with t5 before though so if I were you I would look up the recommended distances for bearded dragons between the t5s and t8s before making a final decision

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
It's best to give them a gradient on uvb also. Set up their uvb so they can get as close as 6-7 inches and as far as 12-15 (t5 bulb) and they will pick what they need. With a t8 i wouldn't give more then 8-9 inches, the bulbs are not as strong as a t5.

ekgep92

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rex
There are 3 UVB's recommended here -- here are some links to them I use a 24" fixture for my 120 gallon tank -- you dont want the length of the tank
24" fixture Zoo Med comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you want a Retpisun 10.0 T 5
you can try Pet Smart for this one if you have one in your area
Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Light Fixtures | PetSmart you want the 12% bulb
or this one you will need to change the bulb out to the one posted above and you want the 2 ft or 24"
Thank you so much for these recommendations! I will go purchase one today. I just wanted to make sure I didn't buy the wrong UVB light. And good to know it should not span the whole tank!

ekgep92

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rex
It's best to give them a gradient on uvb also. Set up their uvb so they can get as close as 6-7 inches and as far as 12-15 (t5 bulb) and they will pick what they need. With a t8 i wouldn't give more then 8-9 inches, the bulbs are not as strong as a t5.
Perfect that is good to know I tried to place everything in a way that gives him different surface levels to climb and bask on but I am glad you told me about the differences in T5 and T8 distances

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom