Best substrate? And appropriate age to use substrate??

I need help picking a substrate. I’ve heard so many things about substrate all the way from dont use it to do use it. I’ve heard soft play sand and topsoil. I’ve heard just play sand. I’ve heard the Australian desert sand is good. So I need opinions and expertise. Also what age can you use substrate. Please help

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
The biggest concern with loose substrates is impaction from ingesting too much while eating. Calcium sand is also bad because it is basically Tums so it lowers the acidity of the stomach causing issues with proper digestion, as well as clumping more and having a higher chance of impaction. Babies are more susceptible to impaction due to smaller digestive tracts and poor accuracy when eating. If you won't be feeding them on the substrate, it isn't as much of an issue. I would steer clear until your dragon is about 10-12 inches long. A 70/30 mix of organic topsoil free from fertilizers and washed play sand is good, and you can add some excavator clay to help it hold burrows better if you can find it but it isn't necessary. The Australian sand is good but a lot more expensive. Topsoil/sand is perfectly fine and cheaper.

Gyrffinthedragon

Original Poster
The biggest concern with loose substrates is impaction from ingesting too much while eating. Calcium sand is also bad because it is basically Tums so it lowers the acidity of the stomach causing issues with proper digestion, as well as clumping more and having a higher chance of impaction. Babies are more susceptible to impaction due to smaller digestive tracts and poor accuracy when eating. If you won't be feeding them on the substrate, it isn't as much of an issue. I would steer clear until your dragon is about 10-12 inches long. A 70/30 mix of organic topsoil free from fertilizers and washed play sand is good, and you can add some excavator clay to help it hold burrows better if you can find it but it isn't necessary. The Australian sand is good but a lot more expensive. Topsoil/sand is perfectly fine and cheaper.
Yeah my dragon is about 13 inches long and I feed him live insects outside of the viv in a separate tub. But I do put salads in his viv for snacking though out the day.

Willowww

Beardie name(s)
Willow
I have washed play sand but I can’t find the topsoil anywhere, do u happen to have any links

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
I have washed play sand but I can’t find the topsoil anywhere, do u happen to have any links

Something like this from Home Depot or whatever home improvement store you have near you works. You just want it to be free from chemical fertilizers and plant food, so nothing that says potting soil or garden soil or anything.

Willowww

Beardie name(s)
Willow

Something like this from Home Depot or whatever home improvement store you have near you works. You just want it to be free from chemical fertilizers and plant food, so nothing that says potting soil or garden soil or anything.
Thank you!! So excited to see my beardie digging around :) I feel like these types of substrates have such bad rep but I know my beardie will love it!

Gyrffinthedragon

Original Poster
I need help picking a substrate. I’ve heard so many things about substrate all the way from dont use it to do use it. I’ve heard soft play sand and topsoil. I’ve heard just play sand. I’ve heard the Australian desert sand is good. So I need opinions and expertise. Also what age can you use substrate. Please help
Update: I went with tile!
852005D7-4168-488F-BD9C-D7D3351EF550.jpeg
EF434015-7FFF-418F-8A29-EA93D1C36F8F.jpeg

FatalTrip

Beardie name(s)
Julian

Is this substrate safe for beardies? Might use it next time I clean is why i ask.

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
Is this substrate safe for beardies? Might use it next time I clean is why i ask.
Yeah that would be fine mixed with some playsand, like a 50/50 mix. You just want to make sure the soil doesn't have any added chemical fertilizers or anything. The sand helps keep it a little aerated so it's easier to dig and it's closer to their native desert soil than the topsoil alone.

FatalTrip

Beardie name(s)
Julian
Yeah that would be fine mixed with some playsand, like a 50/50 mix. You just want to make sure the soil doesn't have any added chemical fertilizers or anything. The sand helps keep it a little aerated so it's easier to dig and it's closer to their native desert soil than the topsoil alone.
Will it say chemical free or what should I look for? I will be buying your recommendations, just want to be safe if something is sold out

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
It should have a list of ingredients on the bag. It might say something like fertilizer free, and you definitely want topsoil and not potting soil or garden soil or anything. No added nutrients or any chemical sounding stuff in the ingredients.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom