Best slurry mixing ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hey guys the website and the upgrade takes some time to get used to hope this is in the right spot. Anyways long story short I have used these baby food flavors Sweet Peas Sweet Potato Butternut Squash Pumpkin and Carrots all organic. My question is that I wanna broaden the flavors for my beardie and I have read a lot about "Slurries". I'm wondering whats the best combinations bc I'm unable to find any greens/veggies (kale collard watercress mustard greens dandelion ect) in baby food form and as always variety is key to beardies. I can also tinker with flavors and find whats best for my individual beardie including from scratch so I know whats in it and I have a blender and looking for some ideas any help is appreciated

Shinryu

Hatchling Member
Staff member
Lead Writer
Are you trying to address a particular health issue with your bearded dragon with a slurry? My understanding is that slurries are primarily used for dragons who are ill or recovering from an illness.

I found this slurry idea in our forums for sick beardies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As mentioned, I usually reserve slurry/baby food for dragons who won't or can't eat live food and salad on their own. When I've made slurries, I blend up the veges (which ones varies depending on what I can get at the time) along with some water. Then I run that through a sieve to get the large bits out and discard those or use them in a smoothie. Then I run the rest through a cheesecloth to drain some of the excess water until the mixture becomes about the same consistency as baby food. This makes it easier to send through a plastic syringe.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
As mentioned, I usually reserve slurry/baby food for dragons who won't or can't eat live food and salad on their own. When I've made slurries, I blend up the veges (which ones varies depending on what I can get at the time) along with some water. Then I run that through a sieve to get the large bits out and discard those or use them in a smoothie. Then I run the rest through a cheesecloth to drain some of the excess water until the mixture becomes about the same consistency as baby food. This makes it easier to send through a plastic syringe.
Shes not ill she just wont eat salads or live bugs so I have been giving her food from a syringe she seems to enjoy it more to me to be honest. Other than her not eating salad or bugs shes as healthy as she can be so I was thinking to make her a slurry that can help boost her appetite and/or get everything she would normally get if eating greens/veggies and bugs on her own

Shinryu

Hatchling Member
Staff member
Lead Writer
Hmm.. I know that bearded dragons are really good at hiding when they are ill, and loss of appetite is one sign of illness. Possible brumation onset could be another in an otherwise healthy beardie.

I find it unusual that a beardie would prefer a slurry over live insects without other signs of illness. Beardies need proper UVB and proper basking temps to boost their appetite, metabolize their food, etc. so which UVB bulb are you using? We recommend only Reptisun 10.0 UVB (preferably T5 high output) or Arcadia 12 % UVB (preferably T5 high output). What temp range is your basking zone? Basking is especially important for digestion.

I think a good first step would be to review your setup to make sure there are no issues that could be affecting your beardie's appetite.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hmm.. I know that bearded dragons are really good at hiding when they are ill, and loss of appetite is one sign of illness. Possible brumation onset could be another in an otherwise healthy beardie.

I find it unusual that a beardie would prefer a slurry over live insects without other signs of illness. Beardies need proper UVB and proper basking temps to boost their appetite, metabolize their food, etc. so which UVB bulb are you using? We recommend only Reptisun 10.0 UVB (preferably T5 high output) or Arcadia 12 % UVB (preferably T5 high output). What temp range is your basking zone? Basking is especially important for digestion.

I think a good first step would be to review your setup to make sure there are no issues that could be affecting your beardie's appetite.
I was going to post this under "lighting" but I'll do it here I need a T5 bulb/fixture that is smaller than 22" but I'm unable to find 1. So my solution would be possibly having a Arcadia T5 on top of my enclosure bc 22" will not fit in to my beardies enclosure. This fits perfectly but is a T8 and is what im currently using. Would i be able to find a T5 HO this size??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211102-172819.jpg
    Screenshot_20211102-172819.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 111

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't recommend using a UVB light that is shorter than 24'' (fixture, 22'' bulb) which is the smaller of the common sizes available for a T5. My reasoning for this is that an adult dragon is typically between about 18-22'' in length. Having the longer bulb in place will create a nice wide beam of UVB that allows for even basking. I prefer using a wide angle basking bulb (flood) or a higher powered bulb sitting farther away to create a similar effect of a wide beam.

In this case, I think a T5 Arcadia would be an excellent upgrade over an under the counter fixture. The bulb will be more powerful and will also incldue a reflector which will increase effective distance. If you put the fixture on top of the enclosure, how far will it be from the main basking area? If you can get the basking area to around 10-12'' of the bulb (if it's shining through a mesh/screen top) then it should work well.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I don't recommend using a UVB light that is shorter than 24'' (fixture, 22'' bulb) which is the smaller of the common sizes available for a T5. My reasoning for this is that an adult dragon is typically between about 18-22'' in length. Having the longer bulb in place will create a nice wide beam of UVB that allows for even basking. I prefer using a wide angle basking bulb (flood) or a higher powered bulb sitting farther away to create a similar effect of a wide beam.

In this case, I think a T5 Arcadia would be an excellent upgrade over an under the counter fixture. The bulb will be more powerful and will also incldue a reflector which will increase effective distance. If you put the fixture on top of the enclosure, how far will it be from the main basking area? If you can get the basking area to around 10-12'' of the bulb (if it's shining through a mesh/screen top) then it should work well.
Sadly from the top of the screen to the basking platform is about 13+ inches away it looks like this. I was thinking of getting a long 22" uvb bulb and putting it on top of her enclosure bc it wont fit inside

Attachments

• 1635955422293457655334081904902.jpg
    1635955422293457655334081904902.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 101

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's pretty close. Without the screen intercepting some of the UVB, it would be right within range. What I'd do in this case is add a branch or something like that, or try to slightly elevate that basking platform in order to provide some closer access in case she wants to get a bit closer. It's not an exact thing - just a starting point. You can tweak it as you observe how she reacts. If she keeps trying to get closer to the bulb, try to provide access a bit closer, if she is avoiding the area directly under it, you can try increasing the distance a little bit. Same goes for the basking light and adjusting temps.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
That's pretty close. Without the screen intercepting some of the UVB, it would be right within range. What I'd do in this case is add a branch or something like that, or try to slightly elevate that basking platform in order to provide some closer access in case she wants to get a bit closer. It's not an exact thing - just a starting point. You can tweak it as you observe how she reacts. If she keeps trying to get closer to the bulb, try to provide access a bit closer, if she is avoiding the area directly under it, you can try increasing the distance a little bit. Same goes for the basking light and adjusting temps.
I have thought of that my worry is that both my beardies are getting UVB but not a significant amount at least I dont feel comfortable with it. From what i was told I have the UVB the wrong way and should be directly above the long way of the basking spot unlike the sideways T8 I have installed already. I feel like a awful person not knowing whats best and to be honest im afraid the T5 will be too much and cause harm thats why I tried it sideways like my T8 in the pic and it didnt fit. Also what do you mean "under the counter fixture" my T8 is in the fixture due to the size and it works and was much cheaper than a ZooMed fixture that would otherwise go on top of the screen not inside

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The image you sent of the T8 marked it as "under the cabinet fixture" and that's what I was referring to. I'm posting a photo of my setup for reference that has a T5. I've used two different sizes for testing. The 24'' I put at a diagonal along the top, and the 36'' I put along the front of the enclosure. Both configurations work well and produce plenty of UVB.

76248-4037503768.jpg

76248-9137766766.jpg

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
The image you sent of the T8 marked it as "under the cabinet fixture" and that's what I was referring to. I'm posting a photo of my setup for reference that has a T5. I've used two different sizes for testing. The 24'' I put at a diagonal along the top, and the 36'' I put along the front of the enclosure. Both configurations work well and produce plenty of UVB.

76248-4037503768.jpg

76248-9137766766.jpg
Ya i did it sideways not the long way mine will be mounted inside the screen top i have filters 30% uvb so on top isnt a option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom