Best light

Tigger_14

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Tigger
I am currently using a t8 reptisun hood bar light lady at the pet store told me it was a huge diffrence from a t5

I cant figure out how to mount it inside!

What is the best effective bulb for ontop or the lid
Or does anyone know how i could mount it inside to help better???

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A T8 has a lower output than a T5 so the mounting distances above the basking site will change. It's usually around 6-8'' for a T8 (better suited to small enclosures) and 12-14'' or so for a T5, depending on the bulb you're using.

If you have a mesh top, you could try running some picture hanging wire around the fixture and through the holes in the mesh to secure it that way. If you want to mount the fixture on top then you could have it just sitting on the top if it's at an appropriate distance (take a few inches off the above estimates due to the screen intercepting some of the light) or hang it over the enclosure from a grow light style stand.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am currently using a t8 reptisun hood bar light lady at the pet store told me it was a huge diffrence from a t5

I cant figure out how to mount it inside!

What is the best effective bulb for ontop or the lid
Or does anyone know how i could mount it inside to help better???
I was going to post on your other post on this topic --- T 5's are better for strength - they can sit on top of the screen but it MUST be a wide hole type of screen distance would be directly above the basking decor piece 8-10 inches --- if its a fine mesh it needs to go inside the distance 12-15 inches --- T 8's MUST be inside the tank w/ a distance of 6-8 inches -- you can use long plastic zip ties picture wire hangers 3M velcro fasteners or fishing line ---- I recommend the picture wire hangers -- after time the zip ties get weak and the velcro will melt --

Tigger_14

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Tigger
A T8 has a lower output than a T5 so the mounting distances above the basking site will change. It's usually around 6-8'' for a T8 (better suited to small enclosures) and 12-14'' or so for a T5, depending on the bulb you're using.

If you have a mesh top, you could try running some picture hanging wire around the fixture and through the holes in the mesh to secure it that way. If you want to mount the fixture on top then you could have it just sitting on the top if it's at an appropriate distance (take a few inches off the above estimates due to the screen intercepting some of the light) or hang it over the enclosure from a grow light style stand.
I messured from the mesh to the basking is 9 inches so if i get a t5 that will be better for ontop of the mesh?

Tigger_14

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Tigger
I was going to post on your other post on this topic --- T 5's are better for strength - they can sit on top of the screen but it MUST be a wide hole type of screen distance would be directly above the basking decor piece 8-10 inches --- if its a fine mesh it needs to go inside the distance 12-15 inches --- T 8's MUST be inside the tank w/ a distance of 6-8 inches -- you can use long plastic zip ties picture wire hangers 3M velcro fasteners or fishing line ---- I recommend the picture wire hangers -- after time the zip ties get weak and the velcro will melt --
This is the mesh on my lid i have a hood light figure too reptisun one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 50

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
This is the mesh on my lid i have a hood light figure too reptisun one
Its a wider hole but the screen looks like real thick metal - I recommend the UVB in the tank - you dont want to have him not getting enough UVB so its safer to have it in the tank --

Tigger_14

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Tigger
Its a wider hole but the screen looks like real thick metal - I recommend the UVB in the tank - you dont want to have him not getting enough UVB so its safer to have it in the tank --
Okay im gonna have to figure out how to get it in the tank its a shoter hood so its not the full langth of the tank i tried to ziptie it didnt not work

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo

You could also
use an advanced lighting technique.
It's easy to go to the store and pick out another light.
It's hard to pick out the right one.

Or you can browse Amazon. They have screens
These are nice & have larger holes.
2 pack screens 5 mesh

Tigger_14

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Tigger
You could also
use an advanced lighting technique.
It's easy to go to the store and pick out another light.
It's hard to pick out the right one.

Or you can browse Amazon. They have screens
These are nice & have larger holes.
2 pack screens 5 mesh
I just got a new fixture to put in the tank for the t8 bulb i currently have so it will be mounted inside my tank today

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I just got a new fixture to put in the tank for the t8 bulb i currently have so it will be mounted inside my tank today
What fixture did you get ? Zoo Med ? Zilla? If there is a cover on the fixture take it off and leave it off

Tigger_14

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Tigger
What fixture did you get ? Zoo Med ? Zilla? If there is a cover on the fixture take it off and leave it off
I got just one from a hard wear store and put my reptisun bulb in its only been a hour with it in the tank and he looks happier! And hes gaping now soaking up the lights he looks lime hes enjoying it now! First time seeing him gape i hear its rlly good!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I got just one from a hard wear store and put my reptisun bulb in its only been a hour with it in the tank and he looks happier! And hes gaping now soaking up the lights he looks lime hes enjoying it now! First time seeing him gape i hear its rlly good!
Is there a reflector in that hood? If not you want one w/ a reflector it intensifies the uvb rays this is what you want and reflects the rays downward toward him

Tigger_14

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Tigger
Is there a reflector in that hood? If not you want one w/ a reflector it intensifies the uvb rays this is what you want and reflects the rays downward toward him
Theres no refflection but this is how it sits the rock on the right is the basking rock
( ignore the thermometors they dont read properly i will be going to get new ones that read properly)

Attachments

• 7BB3253A-2670-4F29-845D-BA4CB3694016.jpeg
    7BB3253A-2670-4F29-845D-BA4CB3694016.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 59

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom