Best high intensity basking bulbs and domes

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Hey guys my beardies are 10-15" from the basking bulb while they are also on their platform I put in a 150W flukers basking bulb to try to kick the heat up. Im wondering is there a bulb that is made to have a beam for heat in 1 spot (not like a flood light) or perhaps a dome that would intensify a lower wattage bulb or even control the heat directly I hear a lot about vapor bulbs but I have no experience with them. Any ideas are welcome

NOTE: Its my 1st time ever needing a 150W bulb in the summer I use anywhere from 28W-75W sometimes even that is too hot

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
150w sounds like a pretty high wattage. I've never had to have that much to achieve the right temperatures... but obviously, many factors come into play. Can you elaborate on the setup a bit more, such as enclosure size, screened top, enclosed top, etc? What are your temperatures at the basking spot and on the cool side with the way you have it now? Also, does your home fluctuate temperature inside that much such that the wattage needs to change so much? I'm guessing so. We keep things pretty consistent in our home here, but our seasons are pretty mild (Southern California).

Anyway... if you could share a bit more info, it may help us understand the situation more. @KarrieRee , anything else we need in order to paint a clearer picture? I know you're pretty solid the heating/lighting side of things.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey guys my beardies are 10-15" from the basking bulb while they are also on their platform I put in a 150W flukers basking bulb to try to kick the heat up. Im wondering is there a bulb that is made to have a beam for heat in 1 spot (not like a flood light) or perhaps a dome that would intensify a lower wattage bulb or even control the heat directly I hear a lot about vapor bulbs but I have no experience with them. Any ideas are welcome

NOTE: Its my 1st time ever needing a 150W bulb in the summer I use anywhere from 28W-75W sometimes even that is too hot
How are you getting that temp? NO stick ons they are inaccurate and depending on basking decor piece? Are you using a hammock ? IR guns will not read off a hammock you need a digital probe thermometer-- room temps play a part in the temp and do you have the tank sitting on the floor or by a window a/c vent?

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
The enclosure is a equivalent of 120 gallon tank 4x2x2 basking temp is around 100 with the 150W I have on it
150w sounds like a pretty high wattage. I've never had to have that much to achieve the right temperatures... but obviously, many factors come into play. Can you elaborate on the setup a bit more, such as enclosure size, screened top, enclosed top, etc? What are your temperatures at the basking spot and on the cool side with the way you have it now? Also, does your home fluctuate temperature inside that much such that the wattage needs to change so much? I'm guessing so. We keep things pretty consistent in our home here, but our seasons are pretty mild (Southern California).

Anyway... if you could share a bit more info, it may help us understand the situation more. @KarrieRee , anything else we need in order to paint a clearer picture? I know you're pretty solid the heating/lighting side of things.

I have a equivalent of 120 gallons its 4x2x2 im using a IR gun the platform is acrylic type i believe. I have a 150W basking is consistently 98-105 ambient is around 78-82 and at night its no colder than 78 degrees. I'm currently waiting for a T5 to come due to the size of the cage. For example during the summer (I live on the 2nd floor) the basking spot will fluctuate it just depends on my room/house temp generally a 60W works during the summer. I have used 100W bulbs FOREVER till this year I noticed the basking wasnt consistently higher than around 90 and I totally agree 150W may be much but its staying in the right range. @KarrieRee (also no stickies I do have probes but havent used them yet and the platform doesnt exactly hold heat so I may look to change it to something that'll retain heat so I wont need a 150W
Note: I'm trying to fill the cage out more its a big step up from my 40G

Attachments

• 20211104_145052.jpg
    20211104_145052.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 134

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The enclosure is a equivalent of 120 gallon tank 4x2x2 basking temp is around 100 with the 150W I have on it

I have a equivalent of 120 gallons its 4x2x2 im using a IR gun the platform is acrylic type i believe. I have a 150W basking is consistently 98-105 ambient is around 78-82 and at night its no colder than 78 degrees. I'm currently waiting for a T5 to come due to the size of the cage. For example during the summer (I live on the 2nd floor) the basking spot will fluctuate it just depends on my room/house temp generally a 60W works during the summer. I have used 100W bulbs FOREVER till this year I noticed the basking wasnt consistently higher than around 90 and I totally agree 150W may be much but its staying in the right range. @KarrieRee (also no stickies I do have probes but havent used them yet and the platform doesnt exactly hold heat so I may look to change it to something that'll retain heat so I wont need a 150W
Note: I'm trying to fill the cage out more its a big step up from my 40G
78 is too warm at nite you want tank temps around 65-75- I am posting a pic of my Zen

Attachments

• IMG_20210920_080952243.jpg
    IMG_20210920_080952243.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 117
  • Hiccup 6-26-21.jpg
    Hiccup 6-26-21.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 115

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
78 is too warm at nite you want tank temps around 65-75- I am posting a pic of my Zen
Sorry for the late reply and I like your setup I'm installing my Arcadia Pro T5 UVB kit today I wouldn't dear hang my UVB up like. But if it was smaller sure but its not the same setup for my enclosure and I wouldnt be able to get the temp lower than possibly 76-78 I have no lights or heat. The ambient is just my room temp at night I have no control over it (family members) the vet seemed to be ok with it being not too cold and not too hot at night. I might steal your UVB setup to be honest I see you have your UVB in the middle and the basking bulb to the side I was gonna do the UVB to the left of my basking bulb not the middle. Whats the specs for your enclosure if you dont mind me asking i.e length width height

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Sorry for the late reply and I like your setup I'm installing my Arcadia Pro T5 UVB kit today I wouldn't dear hang my UVB up like. But if it was smaller sure but its not the same setup for my enclosure and I wouldnt be able to get the temp lower than possibly 76-78 I have no lights or heat. The ambient is just my room temp at night I have no control over it (family members) the vet seemed to be ok with it being not too cold and not too hot at night. I might steal your UVB setup to be honest I see you have your UVB in the middle and the basking bulb to the side I was gonna do the UVB to the left of my basking bulb not the middle. Whats the specs for your enclosure if you dont mind me asking i.e length width height
Ok on the temp at nite-- as long as the distance is 12-15 inches and he can get directly under it your good

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok on the temp at nite-- as long as the distance is 12-15 inches and he can get directly under it your good
I'm hoping this will be good enough or should I put the UVB on the left and the basking bulb next to it? I can have her basking spot half basking bulb and half UVB

Attachments

• 16371728979961266268771072459783.jpg
    16371728979961266268771072459783.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 114

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I'm hoping this will be good enough or should I put the UVB on the left and the basking bulb next to it? I can have her basking spot half basking bulb and half UVB
What is the distance for the UVB to the platform? You can have 1/2 and 1/2 but you need the correct distance -- you may haft to drop the UVB lower or get a piece of decor higher --

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
What is the distance for the UVB to the platform? You can have 1/2 and 1/2 but you need the correct distance -- you may haft to drop the UVB lower or get a piece of decor higher --
It is 14 inches without her basking which is why I asked if I should align the UVB with the basking bulb or should I have both side by side

Attachments

• 20211117_134857.jpg
    20211117_134857.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 144

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It is 14 inches without her basking which is why I asked if I should align the UVB with the basking bulb or should I have both side by side
What ever works best for you- they usually recommend side by side so they are getting both at the same time

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
What ever works best for you- they usually recommend side by side so they are getting both at the same time
Ya I was thinking that too and she DEFINITELY noticed the bulb quickly after I put her back after her bath then she stretched out. I have 2 enclosures so I can see how they both look and go from there so is the 14 inches good? It's 12% in the end I may need to build my own platform its incredibly hard to find basking platforms high enough

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ya I was thinking that too and she DEFINITELY noticed the bulb quickly after I put her back after her bath then she stretched out. I have 2 enclosures so I can see how they both look and go from there so is the 14 inches good? It's 12% in the end I may need to build my own platform its incredibly hard to find basking platforms high enough
The distance is w/ in range -- you can look for some decor at Petsmart they have really nice decor for dragons

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
The distance is w/ in range -- you can look for some decor at Petsmart they have really nice decor for dragons
I used to have driftwood but it was only good for their size at the time that and it would need cleaning bc it was the only thing in their enclosure that collected dust. I had to fuse it with a piece of fake tree decor that came with the 20G enclosure to make it stable and tall enough to fit in it. I have thought of putting another hide/half log on that side that they can climb on and inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom