Beardy not looking good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akire

Boosted":2exm0dn2 said:
let me get this straight. these are desert animals but sand is harmful to them.?
Desert doesn't mean sand. Antarctica is classified as a desert. A desert is defined by the amount of precipitation it receives over a course of a year. The common pet bearded dragon is native to central Australia… most of which ranges from arid to semi-arid (or desert - as it receives only 150mm of rain annually). Central Australia is not covered by massive sand dunes, rather by hard packed soil which may be lightly coated in a fine grained dust (very fine). Click here for more info

Please get rid of the crushed walnut ASAP. It has been responsible for many deaths. Why risk it?

I'm so sorry that she passed away.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Boosted":v6s5khjy said:
let me get this straight. these are desert animals but sand is harmful to them.?

I can tell you from personal experience (living and traveling and working) in the natural range of central bearded dragons , there is very little sand in their natural range.
What sand there is occurs in very restricted areas see table below.

Their habitat is principally tropical dry woodlands and tropical savannah (grasslands == actually mostly a very hardy grass called spinifex).
The soil is very ancient highly weathered clays that sets hard as concrete when dry (which is nearly always).

The habit is dry - desert like , BUT not like you expect - very little of their natural range is sandy (maybe 5%).

This will help put the range of habitats in the natural range of central bearded dragons (and Rankins) into context .

deserts_wrt_cbds_and_terrain.png

Very little of it is sandy (like the Sahara) and none of it calcium sands.

Mostly the soil is ancient highly weathered clays .... known as bull dust. Dry it's like concrete.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Boosted":hrzdxj2x said:
that is very unfortunate of that.. do some bearded dragons do better with that stuff then others. the big male is doing great with walnut sand poops alot and eats everything
No they do not .... any dragon living on the stuff will have it in it's GIT and it's only a matter of time before things go bad. Its a particularly nasty way for a dragon to die too.

Please don't fool yourself.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Did she pass away ? I'm so sorry. It may have been impaction, may have been a combination of other things. I could tell in the pic she was near the end. :( My condolences + sympathy to you, I know your heart is heavy.

And yes, good to just keep them on a solid substrate, you can use non adhesive shelf liner from the Dollar store or Walmart. It's very easy to clean, too. And if you have any problems in the future with your dragons, post here or p.m. one of the mods. [ like Drache613 , you'll see her on a lot of threads here ] or myself before things get too bad, we'll be glad to try to help.

Boosted

Original Poster
Well I hate to say it but when I got home from work last night she did pass away! ?? it sucks. Now my question is what do I do with her out of respect? I have her nicely placed in a box between a bunch of tissue. I don’t really have a place to burry her that I would like

Akire

Boosted":1mkxdh51 said:
Well I hate to say it but when I got home from work last night she did pass away! ?? it sucks. Now my question is what do I do with her out of respect? I have her nicely placed in a box between a bunch of tissue. I don’t really have a place to burry her that I would like
I'm very sorry. You could hike out somewhere and find a nice spot to bury her. You could also get a pot and bury her in soil. People do that with pet rats quite commonly. Add some nice flowers to it or plant you like.

I know you're upset, but please do get your male off the crushed walnut if you haven't already.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're right, Thor is a big + healthy looking guy. :) Good job on changing out the flooring to a solid one. That's a cool little basking ramp, custom made, huh ? Does he have any other stuff to climb on ? If not, you can add a nice small log from outside , I collect most of my cage decor outside. Nothing piney or sappy, I pop it in a preheated 250 oven for about an hour [ making sure it doesn't touch the heating elements ] and that kills any possible pests lurking in the wood.

Boosted

Original Poster
Ya that’s what I wanted to do. Is it wrong to do it on my own lol. My lady says that’s messed up !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom