beardies at petsmart (pic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaidonx13

Hatchling Member
15 in one little cage! :( This should be stopped and called animal abuse, just because Petco is a big company doesn't mean they are good with animals!

BindiBoo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
But really, what can we do about it?? They wont change anything, and people have tried, so its useless. Its a depressing thought but its true.
The only way i can think to help is to help save their animals.

Oh and we arent getting the leopard gecko, we decided she would kill it.

Jamiedog

Sub-Adult Member
Better idea is to not buy their animals. Buying an animal - yes, it is saving that animal, but then they know they will continue to have sales on live animals, so ship in even more. Gaining sales = store replenishes supplies of that product.

If you don't buy from them, and tell your friends and family not to buy from them, that is more likely to get the point across. Speak with your wallet. If that's the only place where you can buy non-living products, sure, use it - I still go to the one nearest us for Greenies, and rat food, and treats of all sorts. But I don't buy live animals there, because I don't want to send the message that I like the idea of selling that particular animal to whoever has the money to pay for it, regardless of their knowledge of said animal. (Like seeing people buying a tiny hamster cage and walking out with that and a Guinea pig... :banghead: )

Basically, buying an animal there is condoning the treatment of not only that animal, but all their other animals, present and future.

(I have bought animals there in the past - used to be my primary source of my pet rats, because it's harder to send mammals than reptiles long distances, and there were no rat breeders around here - so I'm as guilty as anyone, and don't judge those people who do buy there. So don't get the wrong impression. :) )

Sashee

Sub-Adult Member
That's messed up. I love my store. We have a day gecko with a stubby tail and he has a sign on his tank that says, "I may not look perfect, but I may be perfect for you. Ask about a discount on my adoption fee!"

Sidenote, I'm being "trained" on reptiles next week and my boss says I can give the beardies baths and while I'm at it, the turtles too! :D :D :D

Jamiedog

Sub-Adult Member
If all the employees cared as much as you do, and if the corporations at the top would allow said employees to do what's best for the animals, they would be great places to get pets from. :)

...Maybe one day. Can always work towards it. After all, animal shelters used to be, in many cases, death sentences for many of the animals that went in, but standards at a lot of them have improved drastically in the last few years, primarily through the efforts of dedicated animal lovers who refuse to compromise their standards, so there's hope yet for the chain petstores, too!

BindiBoo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Petsmarts are alot better than petco, atleast the ones in my area. Petsmart doesnt give them mealworms or put them on sand, but petco does.

Sashee: it sounds like your petcos alot more strict than mine, they can change things, have seen them do it in past, but they dont care enough to.
Oh and is your petco having a reptile rally?? Ours is on june 4/5

Sashee

Sub-Adult Member
Yes! But I will be out of town. So upset I'm gonna miss it! :(
And the PetSmart out here has them on carpet too. :( I'm workin on doing what I can, even if it's just convincing ppl that buy them to not put them on sand at their house.

BindiBoo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The beauty contest would be fun, but Bindi's so small im kind of scared she'd get hurt or too cold.

jon21388

Juvie Member
Petco where I am from is perfect. They do everything correctly since they remodeled. Reptile carpet is now used instead of sand and they all have UV lights.

BindiBoo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I just dont understand rhat if its corporate mandated why some dont have sand.

And ive seen stores with uvs and some wirh infrared lights all day.

jaidonx13

Hatchling Member
BindiBoo":16kpp027 said:
But really, what can we do about it?? They wont change anything, and people have tried, so its useless. Its a depressing thought but its true.
The only way i can think to help is to help save their animals.

Oh and we arent getting the leopard gecko, we decided she would kill it.

Oh really ? You should get her a beardie :)

BindiBoo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well we got our abused turtle from her... and anything she has to feed daily would probably die in two weeks.

BindiBoo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ya, she cant even take her dog outside. It had seemed like a good idea, till we thought about all the care one would need.

Cnochur

Hatchling Member
I went into a PetSmart last night and there was a small (10/15 gal?) enclosure with 3 baby beardies in it. There was feces all over the bottom, including in the water and food bowls. The beardies were just kind of chilling and kind of lethargic, which might not be a bad sign since it was almost 9 o'clock, but it still looked off.

That said, the beardies at the OTHER PetSmart in my 'hood (yes we have two) were pretty active, and in a clean enclosure. It must depend on the management and employees of each branch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom