Beardie wont lay her eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimplySamtastic

Okay so my female beardie who has had no trouble laying eggs before has been ready to lay for about a week and a half. She is constantly scratching and getting into position and nothing happening. I can see the outlines of the eggs in her stomach however there are no obvious signs of stress. Any advice please?!

annlizardlover97

Hatchling Member
2 days have passed since u posted. Has she started to lay yet? Do u have a nest box made for her? I have a female now laying (Miss Fatty) who's on her 3rd clutch. The 2nd clutch she dug & dug & dug sum more for about 10 days b4 she finally got down to biz. This 3rd clutch is a nightmare tho. She's lay between 1 & 3 eggs EVERY DAY since JULY 4th & shows no signs of stopping!! If ur girl has lay b4, she's probly ok but may not b satisfied w/ her nest. I no Fatty HATES hers!! She lay all of the 2nd clutch in 2days & was fine so idk what her prob is now. But if ur's belly is showing lumps, she'll eventually start to lay. It's VERY frustrating cuz they can't tell us what they want or need & we try to help as best we can but sumtimes....who nos?! I hope she's gotten started since u posted & u have beautiful eggs now! Let us know, ok?

SimplySamtastic

Original Poster
She is still scratching and digging still no sign i do have her in a lay box however she has never laid them in there she always waits and lays them in her tank instead. She has had no trouble laying before but this will hopefully be her first fertile clutch. I know what you mean!! Ive left her undesturbed and ive tried giving her a shallow bath tried giving her time with the male as they always cuddle and calm down together its just crazy. Lol thankyou for your advice though :) hopefully im just being a worried mummy!

annlizardlover97

Hatchling Member
I can definitely identify w/ that! I'm worried about losing Miss Fatty who's been laying for 9 days straight & I'm now calling her Twiggy cuz she's so emaciated. She stopped eating DAYS ago, except 4 crickets which thank God she still relishes. It's like she won't stop digging long enuff to eat and I actually SAW her chomping on a cricket while an egg was popping out of her!!! Then bak to digging. Her skull bones, tail bones, & spine r all sticking out & she's truly skeletal. I'm SOOO worried about her, am force feeding her Pedialyte & water, giving her 3-4 baths a day, etc but her body in producing all these eggs is just sucking up the nutrients. I'm at a loss! Idk how long she can carry on laying but I know she was digging for almost 2 weeks b4 the eggs started to come, so with ur girl I think it'll probly b soon but it's just not quite time yet. It'll happen! Of course I have Fatty a best made but she absolutely hates it & several times she's been in there for hours not laying, then I'll put her bak in her cage & almost instantaneously she lay an egg or two! Just goes to show she prefers her cage. All of this 3rd clutch, every one, has been infertile or bad so I finally decided to just leave her in the cage where she WILL lay since I don't hafta worry about saving the eggs. I'm afraid she'll become egg bound if I leave her in the nest since she duznt wanna lay there so it duznt really matter where she lays em. Ur girl shud start soon if ur seeing & feeling lumps it's just around the corner!! Congrats, early!!

SimplySamtastic

Original Poster
Aww! I get the emaciatedness although my girl can eat 10 hoppers a sitting and still have room to eat my males wax worms and not gain any weight at all! I hope that your miss twiggy is soon back to miss fatty! I think im just going to leave her too it. A lay box is clearly out of her comfort zone so ill only get more worried when she stops eating lol good luck with miss twiggy im sure she will be back to notmal as soon as she is finished. Try feeding her some dubia roaches or wax worms in the mean time as they are quite fatty :)

annlizardlover97

Hatchling Member
Yeah thx 4 the advice. Today's the 1st day of no digging. There were 3 eggs yesterday & one more about 3AM but since then Shez been sittin in her tree basking, which she's not dun in over 2 weeks since the digging started. She lay eggs for 11 days straight!! I had no idea it cud go on that long but thank u Jesus it's over now. Now I can concentrate on gettin her fattened up again. I hope & pray she won't lay a 4th clutch in another month! This has just about made me nuts!! I can't take any more!! I got in a new shipment of crickets this AM but ordered some horn worms which I hear r supposed to be fatty & very good for them & help em to put on weight. Last summer I brot home a cup of em I'd gotten at a reptile show & my lizards all went ape #%=£ over em so I no they like those. They're kinda pricey so I just got enuff for Fatty/Twiggy for several days. The others'll just hafta b jealous!! She'll b gettin gourmet food & they'll b gettin fast food but she needs it rite now!! Anyway thx 4 ur advice! My first clutch of eggs in the incubator shud b hatching by the end of the month so...not long to wait for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom