Beardie wont eat

Kyr.jpg

Beardie name(s)
John
My 4.5 year old dragon, John, isn't eating. He has 3 sarcoma tumors. They're external, and he's getting surgery in January, but he's being very grouchy and not eating. I imagine because he's not feeling well especially with the medicine we have to give him. Per our vet, we are giving him doses of water with his meds. Does anyone have recommendations for ways we can get him nutrients without force-feeding him?

Herp.things

Beardie name(s)
Oscar
Try a variety of insects and see what he’s willing to eat. Beardies also love Repashy gel mix. Put all his vitamins and calcium on what he eats. As long as you are following the vets orders you should be okay.

Kyr.jpg

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
John
Try a variety of insects and see what he’s willing to eat. Beardies also love Repashy gel mix. Put all his vitamins and calcium on what he eats. As long as you are following the vets orders you should be okay.
We can get him to eat one calcium covered superworm every few days. He won't even eat hornworms and he's obsessed with those guys!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We can get him to eat one calcium covered superworm every few days. He won't even eat hornworms and he's obsessed with those guys!
Meds will effect the appetite - but his surface basking temps should be 95-100 taken w a digital probe thermometer- a long tube fixture for a uvb please no coils- this is going to help w/ the appetite - are you keeping track of his weigh? Is he losing weight?

Kyr.jpg

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
John
Meds will effect the appetite - but his surface basking temps should be 95-100 taken w a digital probe thermometer- a long tube fixture for a uvb please no coils- this is going to help w/ the appetite - are you keeping track of his weigh? Is he losing weight?
We had some trouble with his lighting affecting his appetite when we first got him, so our lighting system is 100% to spec now. Perfect Temps and fixtures. He hasn't lost any weight he's stayed the same. The appetite loss is very recent and I want to make sure he's nourished for his surgery in a month

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We had some trouble with his lighting affecting his appetite when we first got him, so our lighting system is 100% to spec now. Perfect Temps and fixtures. He hasn't lost any weight he's stayed the same. The appetite loss is very recent and I want to make sure he's nourished for his surgery in a month
Is he under vets care? I would call them and see if you can get some oxbow critical care - it's really good stuff - it's really thick so you may need to water it down if he won't eat willingly and you need to feed by syringe- this will give him all the nutrients - it comes in omnivore and herbivore

Kyr.jpg

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
John
Is he under vets care? I would call them and see if you can get some oxbow critical care - it's really good stuff - it's really thick so you may need to water it down if he won't eat willingly and you need to feed by syringe- this will give him all the nutrients - it comes in omnivore and herbivore
He is! I'll reach out to them tomorrow and see if I can because he is actively refusing veggies and barely eating bugs. Thank you so much!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing? Definitely medications often do cause a marked reduction in
appetite. You can try some black strap molasses to help with appetite. As suggested, the
Critical Care or Carnivore Care powdered formula usually works pretty well.
You can also try to make a home made slurry from chicken or turkey baby food, mixed with
sweet potato or squash babyfood along with water or diluted juice.
Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom