Beardie won't eat and seems sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

indicamutchler

My Beardie is about 4 years old (Female) and she hasn't been eating. This started a couple weeks ago. At first I thought it was brumation because it's been cold up until recently. But I don't think it's that.

My mom said she'd been eating, just not while being watched (there were less greens when she would check on her) but now I'm terrified that isn't the case. She doesn't react to mealworms, or greens. We even tried to feed her a pinki mice today (it was plenty small enough for her, and was moving) and she didn't even react to it.

She doesn't look well. She doesn't move much and she almost acted like she needed to throw up earlier today? She was breathing deeply, like heaving, for a moment or two every once and awhile and opening her mouth.

She isn't dehydrated, I don't think. I've been spritzing her more recently since I was worried that was the problem.

Her substrate is just carpet, so nothing related to loose substrate is the problem.

She has been moved recently in to a new habitat recently, but the eating issue was still happening before the move.

She has pooped recently, but they were very small.

Her basking spot reaches about 100 F, cooler side about 75-80. UVB mentioned below.

She has always been fed collards, with either squash, pepper or (sometimes as a treat) strawberries. Additionally, she usually gets mealworms with her greens every day or two. Every once and awhile we give her horne worms and a pinkie.

I have two ideas for why she isn't eating, otherwise I don't know what to do:
1. Lack of UVB? - Until recently, while we were moving, we used a regular bulb and a basking bulb for her tank, with no UVB. This was an awful mistake that I only realized recently. For two weeks she had a UVB on her left (cooler side). Now she has a UVB in the middle that covers almost the whole tank. Perhaps the lack of UVB has ruined her appetite?

2. Lack od Calcium - we usually put some calcium powder on her bugs/greens, but while we moved we packed it, and haven't been using it on her. This would be about 3 months of time without calcium.

I want to take her to a vet because I'm terrified, but I don't know how expensive it will be for my family. I feel like I've completley failed my beardie because of stupidity and I'll do anything to help. I also plan on calling a local reptile vet tomorrow anyways, to see what to do. But if ANYONE has any idea what I can do, and how deadly this may be, please say something.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's good that you were able to get her a UVB light, that is important for them. Which kind did you buy? It's also important to use one that has sufficient output for your enclosure. I can help you find a good fit if needed.

Has she been losing weight? It's a good idea to keep a log of her weight so you can see how that is trending over time. Significant weight loss can indicate illness. Sometimes they go through phases in which they don't eat as much and that is normal as long as their weight remains fairly steady.

Can you post some photos of her and her setup? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

indicamutchler

Original Poster
110691-8986795446.jpg
110691-8469021902.jpg
UVB: I just ordered her a reptisun 10 UVB 22" light that i'll mount inside.

Weight: I haven't been weighing her but I'll start. It seems like she's lost weight, but since I haven't been doing it I can't say for sure.

Tank: heads up, her tank is sparse for now, as we just moved her in but i'll add stuff for her soon of course.

additionally, i've scheduled a checkup appointment for her because I'm definitly worried. I'm waiting for a call back bur I'm getting one ASAP.

110691-3860761132.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I can tell from the way her eyebrows are lowered and fat pads on her head are sunken that she isn't well. Hopefully the high quality UVB will help. I would try feeding her some water and maybe some baby food (squash, sweet potato, green bean types tend to work well) by dripping them on her nose to lick up.
I'd definitely have a vet check on her though since she looks frail. You'll want to work with one who is experienced treating bearded dragons, so it's worth calling around. You can usually ask about their exam rates as well so you can know ahead of time. The prices vary quite a bit depending on location. I would start by checking here http://www.anapsid.org/vets/#vetlist and on the ARAV website to find someone nearby.

indicamutchler

Original Poster
Okay I will try to get her to lick off some baby food. Is there certain brands that are specifically good, or certain things/ingrediants i should look for/look out for when feeding her baby food?

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
I've had great luck with organic baby food from a major brand (Beechnut? Not sure.) - pumpkin was a big hit, as was squash. I've also found my beardie more likely to eat my squash and carrot offerings when I grate it up than when I cube it or cut it into strips.

Take a deep breath. You haven't failed your beardie; they often hide problems until they're pretty far advanced, and that's just how nature has made them. You're doing the right thing getting her to a vet, but as CooperDragon says, make sure the vet has reptile experience or it's not worth your money to take her in. I'll say a prayer for your dragon's health... hope she'll be on the mend soon.

You're doing the right thing, and coming to this forum is another good step. Hang in there! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom