Beardie won't bask during shedding?

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hi everyone!

As you know I updated Drogons tank and I've been having issues with him and basking. I do want to point out that he's also shedding so extra cranky, lethargic, and not eating much.

I tried putting the bulb right over where he sleeps since he's very lazy in the morning. The temp I was getting was about 111 F. However, when I moved it to a corner spot with more distance, it was at a high of 91F, but he won't use that spot.

Should I leave it where he sleeps where the higher temp is? Also, using two different thermometers, a small black circular digital one that you stick to the side of the terrarium and a probe digital thermometer. I also wanted to mention that he won't stay too long in the hotter area, so I'm just confused what he wants right now??

Thank you!
Love selkie and Drogon

PS look at that stank face lmao!

Attachments

• 16757220287143336157060760425679.jpg
    16757220287143336157060760425679.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi everyone!

As you know I updated Drogons tank and I've been having issues with him and basking. I do want to point out that he's also shedding so extra cranky, lethargic, and not eating much.

I tried putting the bulb right over where he sleeps since he's very lazy in the morning. The temp I was getting was about 111 F. However, when I moved it to a corner spot with more distance, it was at a high of 91F, but he won't use that spot.

Should I leave it where he sleeps where the higher temp is? Also, using two different thermometers, a small black circular digital one that you stick to the side of the terrarium and a probe digital thermometer. I also wanted to mention that he won't stay too long in the hotter area, so I'm just confused what he wants right now??

Thank you!
Love selkie and Drogon

PS look at that stank face lmao!
Its too hot for him -- I would try and get the bulbs moved over to where he doesnt haft to use that shelf hes on for basking - he looks uncomfortable -- the 111 needs to come down - adult dragons like 95-100 and if they have the option of sitting where the temps are different that would be good -- you need to go by the probe thermometer for temps - the stick on is giving you ambient

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
But the other side where the stump is only got to 91.. is that enough? :( He doesn't seem to like the other spot.

I know it's warmer but when I left it on the shelf part he seems to sit there and open mouth bask. should I kind of train him to use the stump spot instead?

Also keep in mind he has stank face from all the shedding too ;)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
But the other side where the stump is only got to 91.. is that enough? :( He doesn't seem to like the other spot.

I know it's warmer but when I left it on the shelf part he seems to sit there and open mouth bask. should I kind of train him to use the stump spot instead?

Also keep in mind he has stank face from all the shedding too ;)
The 91 is cool side?

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
The 91 is cool side?
No that's the side I tried a different basking spot with the stump (see pic). Cool side is currently 77 F

Regarding the rock ledge, I've had it there for at least 45 minutes and probe thermometer is reading 99, so that's good!

I guess I'll keep it there then? 😅 Never used to have so much trouble in my old setup 🤦🏻‍♀️

Attachments

• IMG_20230131_161459_180.jpg
    IMG_20230131_161459_180.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 58

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Seems to be enjoying it so far!!

Just in case I have any issues what is a good way to maintain basking temp? Would a dimmer work?

Attachments

• PXL_20230206_234231401.jpg
    PXL_20230206_234231401.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 57

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Update: when I moved the probe closer we are 104 and climbing but he doesn't seem bothered.

I have no idea what to do at this point 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ he seems to be enjoying it yet I know this is out of his normal range.

@CooperDragon @AHBD any ideas?

shmoomunchkin

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Scooby

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Oh, good to hear that it's working out ! He's a big, beautiful boy. :)
Aww thank you so much! He really is like my son and I love him with my entire heart 💜💜

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom