Beardie with possible fluid in abdomen/around organs

ZiggysDad

Hello,

I used to be Ziggy's dad, but poor Ziggy passed away from some sort of genetic paralysis disease in May of 2021. Since then, I rescued a beardie whom we named Applebee. She is probably about 3 now. She really seems to be doing fine. Sometimes she takes a long time to poop, but she eats pretty regularly and she moves around. She doesn't go up in her hammock like she used to. She sometimes does spend a lot of time in her "hide."

When we were worried about that, we took her to our vet. The thought was that she might have eggs. The vet did an ultrasound and said she did not - they didn't see any eggs or follicles. They did see some fluids around her organs, they said. We brought her in for a follow up this past week and said the fluid was still there - maybe worse. They painted a pretty bleak picture (liver issues, heart problems), and they also said they might've detected a follicle and that she might have an infection.

They said they could do a couple more tests there, or they could refer me to the Pet ER, where they could do more thorough tests.

My questions: how worried should I be about her life? And should I maybe do the tests that the regular vet offers or should I go right to the ER?

Thanks so much!
Appy'sDad

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello,

I used to be Ziggy's dad, but poor Ziggy passed away from some sort of genetic paralysis disease in May of 2021. Since then, I rescued a beardie whom we named Applebee. She is probably about 3 now. She really seems to be doing fine. Sometimes she takes a long time to poop, but she eats pretty regularly and she moves around. She doesn't go up in her hammock like she used to. She sometimes does spend a lot of time in her "hide."

When we were worried about that, we took her to our vet. The thought was that she might have eggs. The vet did an ultrasound and said she did not - they didn't see any eggs or follicles. They did see some fluids around her organs, they said. We brought her in for a follow up this past week and said the fluid was still there - maybe worse. They painted a pretty bleak picture (liver issues, heart problems), and they also said they might've detected a follicle and that she might have an infection.

They said they could do a couple more tests there, or they could refer me to the Pet ER, where they could do more thorough tests.

My questions: how worried should I be about her life? And should I maybe do the tests that the regular vet offers or should I go right to the ER?

Thanks so much!
Appy'sDad
That is a question for Tracie -- flagging the post to her
@Drache613

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I'll reflag Tracie, i think she is on later in the evening
@Drache613

Beardie name(s)
Perseus "Percy"
Sorry that I can't help but how is your beardie doing? That sounds extremely worrisome. I know an ER could be very expensive but if she's taking a turn for the worse I'd get her in...I'm.not sure that soaking in the water dish is a concern unless she stays there all day. Then it would be concerning for sure...

My beardie has been suffering with a mystery illness and they did give me the option of doing an ultrasound, hopefully they don't need to be sedated for it do they?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry for the delay. How is your girl doing?
Do you have pictures of Applebee?
If you have any copies of blood work, etc please send them over or post them here so I can
take a look at them.
They said that they didn't see any eggs or follicles now, correct?
Fluids around the heart, liver, etc is concerning. That can be caused by Adeno virus or other
genetic problems. What type of diet do you have her on?
We can review your heating, lighting, etc to be sure everything is optimal for her, if you need.

Tracie

ZiggysDad

Original Poster
Hi Tracie,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I didn't get an email! Anyhow, I don't have all that info now, but I do have an update:

She was at the vet last night for a follow up, and they took some yellow fluid from her abdomen. It's being sent out for analysis. Got me worried, of course. Being that she's female, it could be something related to her reproductive system. Whatever happens, I'm committed to taking care of her.

The strange (and good?) thing is that she seems otherwise very healthy - eating her greens and crickets, being at least somewhat active, pooping (no strange stuff with it, either), etc. The vet said reptiles are good at hiding problems, so that ALSO has me worried.

Any advice? Her greens are a rotating diet of mustard or collard greens, sometimes kale, sometimes endive. I think that's mainly it. Maybe 2 or 3 crickets in the evening. She is about 3, we think.

I don't have any pics of her on this computer (just got a new Chromebook recently), but I can take some if it helps.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Nat (Applebee's dad)

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom