Beardie with no balance

Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning one of my beardie babies, 5 weeks old, was sleeping with his head tipped. When he walks he has trouble but does. when I picked him up he rolled over in my hand. Seems to have a balance/inner ear problem. I would equate it to ryeneck in rabbits. Anyone have any ideas as to what it is or how to treat it. he is otherwise healthy and normal...not the largest baby and not the smallest.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
There are a number of possible causes, but IMO the most likely in a beardie of that age is an ear infection, especially if it's just come on suddenly. A head tilt like that is indicative of some sort of neurological problem, and will require a vet visit to find out for sure what the cause is.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What is your humidity in the tank? Yes, it can be neurological, or it could be too low of humidty causing dehydration, lack of B vitamins, or a viral or bacterial infection as well.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, great. Let us know how things go. Please do not just let him automatically medicate a young dragon with no reason. He needs to do a fecal to check for parasites, He can do a bloodtest too, if he is big enough, That should tell alot about any infection that he may have right now.
How often do you give calcium & vitamins?

Tracie

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
Hi...Sorry your little dragon isn't doing well. When you take him to the vet, take a fresh poop sample in a baggie so the vet can do a fecal to check for parasites, coccidia, protozoa, bacteria, etc. It will be easier on him than being invaded by by a fecal loop!!
In the meantime, separate him from the others. And don't put anything in his enclosure that he could fall off from. A rubbermaid tote with a towel in the bottom is OK with a UVB (ReptiSun 10 long fluorescent tube) and a heat light and a digital thermometer with a probe at the end of a wire to keep temps 100-110. Walmart has the digital with probe for $12...AccuRite. In out store it is in the back right, near the ladders.
Let us know how he is doing
Good luck
Patsy

ratpacklasvegas

Original Poster
Repashy superfood insect cricket balancer daily. sticky tonge farms outdoor formula twice weekly and he has been eating home grown dubia, mini superworms, crickets, and silk worms. greens daily. He has been fine untill today.

ratpacklasvegas

Original Poster
I have all my babies (52) in rubbermaid bins with reptiglow lights. There is nothing high, only flat for now.

I hear if they eat a cricket that is too large, that may cause problems. could that be it? they are not getting large feeders. I have been using the width of the eyes guide for feeders.

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
Hi...As long as the feeders are no bigger than the space between their eyes they should not cause problems.

Which ReptiGlow bulb are you using?
The ReptiGlo 10 has a history of causing eye problems as well as other health problems in reptiles.
Good luck
Patsy

ratpacklasvegas

Original Poster
Thank you to everyone who responded. I decided that since I can't get to the vet this week that I would maintain a temp of 90 in the enclosure at night and basking spot of 116 (what I normally keep for babies) and he seems to be fine. I put him back into the tub with his hatch mates and he looks normal.

Some of you mentioned ear infection. Some others off this site told me Nuralogical (sp). I mist my dragons several times a day. Could they get water in their ears? I soak them pretty well when I do.

Thanks again.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, they can get water in their ears & that could cause possibly some balance issues.
Are you giving vitamins at all?
How long have you been using the Reptiglo UVB lights, is it the 8 or the 10? Remember the Reptiglo 10 is not a very strong light, in the sense that it provides good quality of UVB light, that is.
If you have been using the Reptiglo 10, he may be beginning to suffer from hypocalcemia. How many are being affected?

Tracie

ratpacklasvegas

Original Poster
I am using the exoterra solarglo mv spot light. 120 watt. They also go out in the sun several days a week for about 2 hours each time depending on temps. They get sticky tongue farms miner-all outdoor formula (shouldn't use the indoor formula with reptiles that eat greens). I feed home grown dubia, home grown mini superworms, silkworms and crickets. I also use the the Sandfire super food insect cricket balancer and vegitable formula. I think I have the nutrition covered. Of the 52 babies to hatch so far, this was the only one affected and it seems to have run its course. There are 15 remaining babies from the first hatch and he was one of them. They are all back together and fine as of now.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What sized tank are you using, since you are using the 120 watt it should be at least 12 inches away from the dragons for safety. The tank needs to be at least a 40 gallon for less chances of overheating, as well.
Are you sure that he is not getting too hot?
The Solar Glo is a decent mercury vapor lamp, so that really shouldn't be the problem. I think he could be getting overheated for some reason, or dehydrated.
How many dragons are being affected, just the one? Make sure that the one who was not doing as well, you take aside & ensure he is getting plenty of food. Is he smaller than the others as well?

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I don't recommend quite that high of basking spots. Babies dehydrate very quickly. I know it is controversial, but, most here on the forum will recommend between 95-110. Anything much higher can cause symptoms that he has been going through. They can overheat very easily.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom