Beardie with MBD and not getting getting better

Mander1605

Original Poster
I have a bearded dragon who is 3 years old. I noticed over the past few months that she had been not moving as much, sleeping all the time, and having a loss in appetite, so I had been giving reptiboost a couple times a week (because she lives at my dad's house and I spend a lot of my time at my mom's house) but she just got worse and so she was brought to my mom's house so I could try to nurse her back to health. After doing lots of research, I found that her symptoms matched MBD (metabolic bone disorder) almost exactly. So I did more research (with the help of some family) and got her some supplements and proper UVB lighting. She is now being fed Reptiboost once or twice a day (usually twice), Repashy's beardie buffet, calcium powder that I either put in the reptiboost mixture or just mix it with some water, and a few different veggies and fruits. I give her around 6-9 ml of water a day. (All the food and water has to be hand-fed because she won't eat or drink enough on her own) I also make she gets a soak once a day for around 15-30 minutes. I called a vet place a week ago when she was brought over and was directed to another person who told me the proper lighting and to try some plain beef or chicken baby food and to soak her often. I couldn't find any beef or chicken baby food that didn't have added vegetables or spices, but eventually was able to get some and she was fed just a tiny bit of that tonight. The past few days, she has thrown up a couple times and I think I may have fed her too much at once or maybe she is dehydrated still, and she has also been randomly paling at the top of her head and tail. We thought that maybe she was too hot, but it happened even when it was cold. The only pattern I noticed was that when she called I had fed her 5-10 minutes before. Thankfully, she's been popping everyday so there are so problems there, but her poop has been a bit watery so I don't know if that is to be of concern. I am just looking for any advice for her because I don't even really know how much I should be giving her of what even after talking to an exotic animal place, if I'm giving her too much or too little water, and the reason behind the paling (and if I should even be that concerned about it). This past week has really been a balancing act with regular her temperature and food and water intake. She seemed to be getting better after a few days, but recently her improvement has plateaued and with her throwing up and paling I just don't think I'm giving her the proper care. Research online only gets me so far and everything is telling me to take her to the vet, but I don't have the option to get her a vet appointment, so I really need advice for at home care.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have a bearded dragon who is 3 years old. I noticed over the past few months that she had been not moving as much, sleeping all the time, and having a loss in appetite, so I had been giving reptiboost a couple times a week (because she lives at my dad's house and I spend a lot of my time at my mom's house) but she just got worse and so she was brought to my mom's house so I could try to nurse her back to health. After doing lots of research, I found that her symptoms matched MBD (metabolic bone disorder) almost exactly. So I did more research (with the help of some family) and got her some supplements and proper UVB lighting. She is now being fed Reptiboost once or twice a day (usually twice), Repashy's beardie buffet, calcium powder that I either put in the reptiboost mixture or just mix it with some water, and a few different veggies and fruits. I give her around 6-9 ml of water a day. (All the food and water has to be hand-fed because she won't eat or drink enough on her own) I also make she gets a soak once a day for around 15-30 minutes. I called a vet place a week ago when she was brought over and was directed to another person who told me the proper lighting and to try some plain beef or chicken baby food and to soak her often. I couldn't find any beef or chicken baby food that didn't have added vegetables or spices, but eventually was able to get some and she was fed just a tiny bit of that tonight. The past few days, she has thrown up a couple times and I think I may have fed her too much at once or maybe she is dehydrated still, and she has also been randomly paling at the top of her head and tail. We thought that maybe she was too hot, but it happened even when it was cold. The only pattern I noticed was that when she called I had fed her 5-10 minutes before. Thankfully, she's been popping everyday so there are so problems there, but her poop has been a bit watery so I don't know if that is to be of concern. I am just looking for any advice for her because I don't even really know how much I should be giving her of what even after talking to an exotic animal place, if I'm giving her too much or too little water, and the reason behind the paling (and if I should even be that concerned about it). This past week has really been a balancing act with regular her temperature and food and water intake. She seemed to be getting better after a few days, but recently her improvement has plateaued and with her throwing up and paling I just don't think I'm giving her the proper care. Research online only gets me so far and everything is telling me to take her to the vet, but I don't have the option to get her a vet appointment, so I really need advice for at home care.
What are you using for a uvb? Coil or long tube fixture? This is crucial along w/ distance and placement - surface basking temps-- how are you taking them? Digital probe thermometers are the most accurate

Mander1605

Original Poster
What are you using for a uvb? Coil or long tube fixture? This is crucial along w/ distance and placement - surface basking temps-- how are you taking them? Digital probe thermometers are the most accurate
One is a mercury vapor and it's the kind that fits in the domes, and the other is a long tube fixture which just gives off UVB and UV, no heat. I don't remember the distance and I'm in bed right now (bc it's 10:50 pm where I live) but I just know that it was at the distance the box directed, but has been raised recently because her tank was getting too hot. And yes, she has a digital thermometer. I am making sure where she is around 90° (it is a bit above often) because she can't really move enough to get to a different temperature (like basking) so I have to make sure she is maintaining the proper body temp for now

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your girl is having some trouble.
Please post a few pictures of her with her tank setup so we can see her condition & the lighting
placement.
What brands of lights do you use? The MVB + tube bulb combination should be perfectly fine if
they are good brands.
The basking spot should be in a range of 95F to 100F maybe a few more degrees but adults tend
not to like it quite as hot.
It is possible you are feeding her too much. Are you dropping it onto the end of her nose to feed
her?

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
One is a mercury vapor and it's the kind that fits in the domes, and the other is a long tube fixture which just gives off UVB and UV, no heat. I don't remember the distance and I'm in bed right now (bc it's 10:50 pm where I live) but I just know that it was at the distance the box directed, but has been raised recently because her tank was getting too hot. And yes, she has a digital thermometer. I am making sure where she is around 90° (it is a bit above often) because she can't really move enough to get to a different temperature (like basking) so I have to make sure she is maintaining the proper body temp for now
Ok where is the UVB? in the tank on the screen? And the brand your using along w/ the bulb? The MVB is what brand ? There are bulbs that are not good that is why I am asking-- we need correct the distance and placement if they are incorrect this does make a difference and these bulbs require this --- surface basking temps should be 95-100 to start digestion -

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, please let us know the UVB brands just so we have a good idea of how much UVB
exposure she is getting. Where is the digital thermometer placed, directly underneath the
basking area? If needed, you may need to move the MVB light up a little if the temperatures
are getting too hot just so she doesn't get overheated.

Tracie

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
He needs the calcium, and the calcium needs to be absorbed via basking.

Make sure lighting is adequate and everything.
MVB's are plenty efficient for absorbing calcium as long as your guy is basking after he eats, and you're feeding a calcium supplement.
I keep my MVB about 12"

What type of MVB?

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom