Beardie will only eat Greens

Baby_Magatron

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Maggie
Hey everyone,

I’m relatively new to having a beautiful little bearded friend so I hope this isn’t a stupid question! I can’t seem to find any help online anywhere, if it’s a bizarre one the next stop is a vet!!

So I’ve had baby Maggie since October 2021, at this point I was told she was around 9 months old meaning she will have been born around February 2021.

She has always been a really big eater to the point she jumps out of her viv and jumps on me when she knows eats feeding time (so adorable), anyway my apologies I digress, in the last week or so she has completely avoided locusts which were her favourite live food by far!! She ate a couple of Morioworms which I was told should only be used as a treat so to speak, but now she isn’t even touching those!! She is still eating all of her wild rocket though, she won’t touch any other greens and I get concerned trying her on new things as there are soooooo many contradicting things on what I can and can’t feed her, but they all say wild rocket is fine so I’ve stuck with it.

So yeah, basically my question is should I be as worried as I am? Is this a serious problem I need to get checked immediately? All I can think is she may be uncomfortable from shedding? (I’ve been misting her to help which sometimes she hates and sometimes loves)

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated as there is a very concerned beardie dad at the moment

Many thanks

🙂

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey everyone,

I’m relatively new to having a beautiful little bearded friend so I hope this isn’t a stupid question! I can’t seem to find any help online anywhere, if it’s a bizarre one the next stop is a vet!!

So I’ve had baby Maggie since October 2021, at this point I was told she was around 9 months old meaning she will have been born around February 2021.

She has always been a really big eater to the point she jumps out of her viv and jumps on me when she knows eats feeding time (so adorable), anyway my apologies I digress, in the last week or so she has completely avoided locusts which were her favourite live food by far!! She ate a couple of Morioworms which I was told should only be used as a treat so to speak, but now she isn’t even touching those!! She is still eating all of her wild rocket though, she won’t touch any other greens and I get concerned trying her on new things as there are soooooo many contradicting things on what I can and can’t feed her, but they all say wild rocket is fine so I’ve stuck with it.

So yeah, basically my question is should I be as worried as I am? Is this a serious problem I need to get checked immediately? All I can think is she may be uncomfortable from shedding? (I’ve been misting her to help which sometimes she hates and sometimes loves)

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated as there is a very concerned beardie dad at the moment

Many thanks

🙂
Please try a different insect -- dubia roaches -- silk worms or BSFL -- she still needs her protein

SPandS

Juvie Member
It's possible she's just cranky from shedding. They can also be picky and want what they want and at the moment it's greens. Have you noticed her digging? Sometimes females will stop eating before they are ready to lay, usually they stop all together at least in my experience but it could also be what's happening.

Baby_Magatron

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Maggie
It's possible she's just cranky from shedding. They can also be picky and want what they want and at the moment it's greens. Have you noticed her digging? Sometimes females will stop eating before they are ready to lay, usually they stop all together at least in my experience but it could also be what's happening.
She hasn’t dug for a while no, she was eating through that period! And hasn’t been with any other beardies so can’t lay anything!

Baby_Magatron

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Maggie
She may or may not lay in that, depending on how deep it is.
Just checking, better to be safer, is it a loose clay sand?
A mix of cocohusk and a premix soil substrate would be perfect
96C5AD2A-99F8-44E5-8879-1ECE465AECAC.jpeg

It’s that, sorry I’m still learning all the names of things and don’t have the bag from it when I fill it up 😕 but I do recall the man from the shop saying it was what most people use?

sconley

Beardie name(s)
Lyra and Reginald
View attachment 71448
It’s that, sorry I’m still learning all the names of things and don’t have the bag from it when I fill it up 😕 but I do recall the man from the shop saying it was what most people use?
Looks good as a substrate, but it's not thick enough for her to lay in that, so she would need a dig box, it will be easier for you to check it as well for eggs periodically too.
She looks gravid from that photo but only an exotics vet would be able to confirm that for you.

Baby_Magatron

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Maggie
Looks good as a substrate, but it's not thick enough for her to lay in that, so she would need a dig box, it will be easier for you to check it as well for eggs periodically too.
She looks gravid from that photo but only an exotics vet would be able to confirm that for you.
What does gravid mean??

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom