Beardie went limp not breathing properly and wouldnt respond , back legs went limp thought he had died but then he woke up .

r19

My 5 year old bearded dragon went limp and looked sunken in today I looked over and he was laying in his tank with a black beard but his head was to the side and he didn't look like he was breathing . Was quickly pulled out, kind of out of it didn't look like he had any energy .
I tried a bath to get him hydrated but he panicked and started to not respond between breaths he did this for roughly an hour eventually it looked like had stopped breathing for 5 minutes went limp looked sunken in and mouth was open .he gasped a couple of times after that so it started rubbing his back and chest to see if he would respond he did but went limp again a couple of times head went to side and about a tablespoon of saliva just came pouring out he woke up a bit but was weak and still not OK, I put him in his tank when the timer went off . He's now currently asleep I've checked him a few times and seems to be a bit stronger his beard is still black.

Unsure what happened if there is any after effects of what happened ,he was showing signs of dying but now isn't .

Bit of background 7 weeks ago he went to vets with suspected chest infection and rapid weight loss did bloodworm and x rays was told his liver wasn't working 100% given a shot and antibiotics everything cleared up and was fine ,
Few weeks ago he went back sounding like he was gargling and having trouble taking deep breaths more bloodworm and x Ray showed he wasnt passing everything , was slightly dehydrated and needed a weeks more of antibiotics to shift any kind of secondary infection and boost his white blood cells which were low since then he has been ok and appeared to be on the mend .

Has anyone had anything like this happen any answers would be appreciated ?
Sorry If any of it is confusing still kind of a blur the last couple of hours

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My 5 year old bearded dragon went limp and looked sunken in today I looked over and he was laying in his tank with a black beard but his head was to the side and he didn't look like he was breathing . Was quickly pulled out, kind of out of it didn't look like he had any energy .
I tried a bath to get him hydrated but he panicked and started to not respond between breaths he did this for roughly an hour eventually it looked like had stopped breathing for 5 minutes went limp looked sunken in and mouth was open .he gasped a couple of times after that so it started rubbing his back and chest to see if he would respond he did but went limp again a couple of times head went to side and about a tablespoon of saliva just came pouring out he woke up a bit but was weak and still not OK, I put him in his tank when the timer went off . He's now currently asleep I've checked him a few times and seems to be a bit stronger his beard is still black.

Unsure what happened if there is any after effects of what happened ,he was showing signs of dying but now isn't .

Bit of background 7 weeks ago he went to vets with suspected chest infection and rapid weight loss did bloodworm and x rays was told his liver wasn't working 100% given a shot and antibiotics everything cleared up and was fine ,
Few weeks ago he went back sounding like he was gargling and having trouble taking deep breaths more bloodworm and x Ray showed he wasnt passing everything , was slightly dehydrated and needed a weeks more of antibiotics to shift any kind of secondary infection and boost his white blood cells which were low since then he has been ok and appeared to be on the mend .

Has anyone had anything like this happen any answers would be appreciated ?
Sorry If any of it is confusing still kind of a blur the last couple of hours
We need Tracie drache613 to respond- please post basking temps how your taking them digital probe thermometer is the best and your uvb - coil or a long tube fixture-- where in the tank how old is the bulb - what is the humidity in the tank

r19

Original Poster
Unsure of the basking temps but when checked they have always been in the right range I use a infrared thermometera brands astroAI
The uvb was replaced when he became sick the first time and it sits in a unit that reflects it into the tank it sits at the front where ot can be seen.
I'm looking into replacing that because the bulb hasn't been easy to find the pet shop managed to order it in for me
The humidity is something we're working on aswell I have the reader for it but the battery died his tank was bought with another male beardie we had so the tank has a lot that needs fixing
We need Tracie drache613 to respond- please post basking temps how your taking them digital probe thermometer is the best and your uvb - coil or a long tube fixture-- where in the tank how old is the bulb - what is the humidity in the tank

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Unsure of the basking temps but when checked they have always been in the right range I use a infrared thermometera brands astroAI
The uvb was replaced when he became sick the first time and it sits in a unit that reflects it into the tank it sits at the front where ot can be seen.
I'm looking into replacing that because the bulb hasn't been easy to find the pet shop managed to order it in for me
The humidity is something we're working on aswell I have the reader for it but the battery died his tank was bought with another male beardie we had so the tank has a lot that needs fixing
Please look on the uvb bulb tell me the brand and bulb please take a pic of the tank and lighting and post - please get 2 digital probe thermometers zoo med found at most pet stores- those surface basking temps are extremely important along w/ the uvb--

r19

Original Poster
I looked at him 4 this morning and he was weak and started to sink in again he got some energy back went back to sleep . He's the same right now his breathing isn't great and he's weak his beard is black aswell .
Whatever happened last night definitely left its mark .

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your dragon sounds very critical.
Which medications were given previously & for how long, a week or two?
We do need to know what type/brand if UVB light you are using, so we can try to direct you
further.
Your thermometer, is it a digital probe or laser temp gun?
If possible, try to keep him a little warmer overnight, since he isn't feeling well. If you have
a copy of the blood test, please post a copy of it here so we can look over it.
It does seem very strange that it appeared his respiratory infection cleared up then he had
some type of relapse. Did he possibly aspirate any food or fluids?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

r19

Original Poster
Hello,

Your dragon sounds very critical.
Which medications were given previously & for how long, a week or two?
We do need to know what type/brand if UVB light you are using, so we can try to direct you
further.
Your thermometer, is it a digital probe or laser temp gun?
If possible, try to keep him a little warmer overnight, since he isn't feeling well. If you have
a copy of the blood test, please post a copy of it here so we can look over it.
It does seem very strange that it appeared his respiratory infection cleared up then he had
some type of relapse. Did he possibly aspirate any food or fluids?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie
Thus morning he wasnt quite with it but he did wake up he was given a bath a few hours ago and when I came in from work was alert I decided to do another soak in electrolytes to see if it would help even ordered critical care powder but he took a turn for the worse becoming weaker and no responding between breaths I tried to rub his chest and back to get a response but he was unsteady when he woke up and definitely not OK.

I've put him in his tank and so far he has taken a few deep breaths leaving his mouth open at the end whatever happened last night has more of an effect than he was showing .

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thus morning he wasnt quite with it but he did wake up he was given a bath a few hours ago and when I came in from work was alert I decided to do another soak in electrolytes to see if it would help even ordered critical care powder but he took a turn for the worse becoming weaker and no responding between breaths I tried to rub his chest and back to get a response but he was unsteady when he woke up and definitely not OK.

I've put him in his tank and so far he has taken a few deep breaths leaving his mouth open at the end whatever happened last night has more of an effect than he was showing .
Before we can really help please tell us what the surface basking temps are and what kind of UVB your using- brand and bulb and where in the tank is it how old is it --- coil or a long tube fixture --- these are imperative to the health of the dragon-please post the blood work

r19

Original Poster
Unfortunately he did pass away last night max was just to weak to keep fighting it
Thank you for the help.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Im sorry to hear that, my condolences

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

OH I am very sorry to hear that you lost him, it is never easy to have to go through a loss.:cry:
At least he was not alone & you did everything you could for him.

My condolences.
Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom