Beardie was constipated but need help

MylesO

Hi. 7yr old file Lucy was constipated. She was dehydrated and I know it was my fault. Normally she get baths/ soaks and drinks from it and also from a syringe. Due to unforseen work issues she did not get what she needed.
Yesterday she was trying to take a poop and I noticed she was constipated. She kept trying to go she tried for over an hour with nothing happening. So I put her in a warm bath for an hour I also massage her belly down to her store them down to her vent. But nothing helped. I ended up coaxing it out myself. It was super hard she bled a little and I noticed today she still Black Beard I can tell she's still in a little bit of pain her vent's a little swollen. Is there anything I can do to help relieve her pain or her swollen vent?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi. 7yr old file Lucy was constipated. She was dehydrated and I know it was my fault. Normally she get baths/ soaks and drinks from it and also from a syringe. Due to unforseen work issues she did not get what she needed.
Yesterday she was trying to take a poop and I noticed she was constipated. She kept trying to go she tried for over an hour with nothing happening. So I put her in a warm bath for an hour I also massage her belly down to her store them down to her vent. But nothing helped. I ended up coaxing it out myself. It was super hard she bled a little and I noticed today she still Black Beard I can tell she's still in a little bit of pain her vent's a little swollen. Is there anything I can do to help relieve her pain or her swollen vent?
Post a pic of her vent please

MylesO

Original Poster
Here's one

Attachments

• IMG_20220726_191737830.jpg
    IMG_20220726_191737830.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 69

MylesO

Original Poster
Basking temp is 95/98. Cool side is 80. Uvb is long tube 10.0 .
She usually get a mist spray twice a week plus a bath/ soak. She also drinks from a syringe.
I have a probe thermometer and an infrared temp gun.
Her basing light is on a temp controlled outlet.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is she doing?
What brand of tube bulb is your UVB?
Is she going to the bathroom now? If you have any raw unpasteurized honey, or antibiotic ointment,
you can massage some onto her little hiney, that has to hurt. Or, even aloe vera gel.
You can continue to give a daily bath if needed, to help her out. I am glad to hear that she is good
about taking fluids from a dropper. Try to continue that as she needs it daily.
What supplementation are you giving her?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Basking temp is 95/98. Cool side is 80. Uvb is long tube 10.0 .
She usually get a mist spray twice a week plus a bath/ soak. She also drinks from a syringe.
I have a probe thermometer and an infrared temp gun.
Her basing light is on a temp controlled outlet.
What brand of UVB and what bulb are you using -- look on the bulb it will tell you if you dont know -- is it a T 8 or a T 5? Distance and placement for the two is different - and your screen is going to determine where the UVB needs to be

MylesO

Original Poster
Reptisun T8 on top of her screen . Screen has med size holes. Reptisun basking light 50watt. She is in a custom enclosure. Her basking spot is 8 inches from light. She stayed out with me most of the evening. She didn't want to move. I put her under her heat for the last hour. This morning before I left to work, I noticed she moved to under her log so I didn't get a good look at her before I left
I think I have some aloe vera. I'd not is Neosporin ok to use?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Reptisun T8 on top of her screen . Screen has med size holes. Reptisun basking light 50watt. She is in a custom enclosure. Her basking spot is 8 inches from light. She stayed out with me most of the evening. She didn't want to move. I put her under her heat for the last hour. This morning before I left to work, I noticed she moved to under her log so I didn't get a good look at her before I left
I think I have some aloe vera. I'd not is Neosporin ok to use?
Please get the T 8 inside the tank -- they are not strong enough to go thru screen -- it needs to be directly over the basking decor piece 6-8 inches ---how old is the T 8 they expire in 6 months I recommend changing them out at 5 --- I would recommend upgrading to a 24" fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 -- Zoo Med or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12 % bulb - Petsmart has started to carry those - I am not sure about the Neosporin but if it is used nothing w/ pain killer in it -- what is the surface basking temp? It needs to be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer they are the most accurate and can be found at Petco or Pet Smart --

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Neosporin would be fine, no problem. How is she doing today?
Definitely try to mount the UVB inside of the tank, since it is a T8 just so she receives a stronger
exposure.

Tracie

MylesO

Original Poster
Hello,

Neosporin would be fine, no problem. How is she doing today?
Definitely try to mount the UVB inside of the tank, since it is a T8 just so she receives a stronger
exposure.

Tracie
Hi
I found Lucy Wednesday when I got home from work under got logged passed away.
It's all my fault! I'm such an ******* and it hurts so much. She was 7 1/2 yrs old. Got her and Tarzan when they were 4 months old.
Thank you for all your help. Sorry I went on for a bit.
Myles

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Myles,

What happened? A log fell on her?
I am very sorry that you lost her, that is terrible. :cry:

My sincere condolences,
Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi
I found Lucy Wednesday when I got home from work under got logged passed away.
It's all my fault! I'm such an ******* and it hurts so much. She was 7 1/2 yrs old. Got her and Tarzan when they were 4 months old.
Thank you for all your help. Sorry I went on for a bit.
Myles
I am so sorry to hear about Lucy - it is always a shock to find them like that - poor girl- had the swelling gone done on her vent- please keep Tarzan hydrated that is key for being constipated plus correct size insects- again all our hearts are breaking w/ you it's not easy believe me we all know

MylesO

Original Poster
Hi.
I think she passed due to an infection due to my having to manually remove the hard bowel. She could not go for over an hour of trying. She had labored breathing and saliva. Every damn vet hospital I called before to try to get her some help or even help over the phone, would not help because I didn't have an account, some were not seeing new patience. I'm not very or have any medical training so I don't know for sure.
I lost Tarzan 2 yrs ago to some disease beardie get. I forgot what is called. So now both of my babies are gone. I just have Bodie who was a rescue last year. She was at a elementary school.
This really sucks! Thank you for the response and help. I really did appreciate it.
I may have other questions. I'm going over Bodie's enclosure to make sure everything is perfect.
Myles

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom