Beardie vomit

ivysul

Hatchling Member
My beardie puked today & it was the scariest / most sad thing I’ve seen. She was shaking her head left and right trying to get it out. She pooped a few hours later. Gave her a bath, she had a little water + electrolytes but hasn’t eaten since. Not sure what it could be. Everything else seems to be fine. After I gave her water the first time though, she started opening and closing her mouth and swirling her tongue for a few seconds, I thought she was going to puke again but didn’t. Only puked that one time. The closest vet to me is also 2 hours away

F22186C3-6D9B-4E21-BA3A-C945D3415D78.jpeg

Attachments

• FEF79848-54F9-46DD-BCDD-277D9414BF00.jpeg
    FEF79848-54F9-46DD-BCDD-277D9414BF00.jpeg
    189.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 555575B6-65C3-4EC8-AAFE-034BBFA9F651.jpeg
    555575B6-65C3-4EC8-AAFE-034BBFA9F651.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 21B60D4A-A756-4120-93A6-4737F7E00E9C.jpeg
    21B60D4A-A756-4120-93A6-4737F7E00E9C.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 63

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My beardie puked today & it was the scariest / most sad thing I’ve seen. She was shaking her head left and right trying to get it out. She pooped a few hours later. Gave her a bath, she had a little water + electrolytes but hasn’t eaten since. Not sure what it could be. Everything else seems to be fine. After I gave her water the first time though, she started opening and closing her mouth and swirling her tongue for a few seconds, I thought she was going to puke again but didn’t. Only puked that one time. The closest vet to me is also 2 hours away

View attachment 75636
What did you feed her? What are your surface basking temps? And how are you taking them? You want a digital probe thermometer-- they are the most accurate-- what are you using for a UVB ? coil or tube? I am going to flag your post to our vet tech mod on here shes on late at night
@Drache613

ivysul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
- I’ve been feeding her mealworms until her dubia roaches & crickets arrive, they’re lightly coated in zoomed’s repticalcium and bee pollen. Her diet is usually dubia roach based & I will give her hornworms as a treat. I also make sure the insects are the right size for digestion (same same between her eyes)
- Surface basking temps are 90-100F, coil UVB not tube

Thank you so much for your response and for flagging my post to her. I really appreciate it 🥺❤️

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,
How is your girl doing?
It sounds like she might have eaten too many worms at one time, or she wasn't warm
enough to digest. Did you feed her too late in the day?
I noticed you mentioned feeding mealworms, so she possibly got an upset tummy from
the shell not digesting properly.
Do you have any probiotics to give to her?
Try to give some extra oral fluids since vomiting can dehydrate them.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
- I’ve been feeding her mealworms until her dubia roaches & crickets arrive, they’re lightly coated in zoomed’s repticalcium and bee pollen. Her diet is usually dubia roach based & I will give her hornworms as a treat. I also make sure the insects are the right size for digestion (same same between her eyes)
- Surface basking temps are 90-100F, coil UVB not tube

Thank you so much for your response and for flagging my post to her. I really appreciate it 🥺❤️
Please get rid of the coil UVB they are inadequate and a hazard to your dragons health- you want a long tube fixture like one of these 24 watt you want the one w/ the 12% bulb if you have a petsmart check that store or you may be able to order it online Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Light Fixtures | PetSmart or you can get this one you will need to change the bulb out tho 2 ft or 24" Sun Blaster NanoTech T5 HO Fixture 2 Ft 1 Lamp Strip Light w/ Reflector direct from Growers House you want this fixture w/ a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb - Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
or you can get this one 24" Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO High Output Terrarium Hood this one comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you will need to change it out to the 22" Repstiun as posted above - these fixtures are good for 40 + gallon tanks - the Sunblaster that I normally post for website is having technical issues - you can try later for this website its https://hydrobuilder.com/grow-light...r-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html
they are having issues w/ it -- when you get the UVB please post back on here so I can help you place it for your tank - your screen will determine where the UVB goes for placement and distance - please get your basking temps up to 95-100 thats going to help w/ the digestion

ivysul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello,
How is your girl doing?
It sounds like she might have eaten too many worms at one time, or she wasn't warm
I noticed you mentioned feeding mealworms, so she possibly got an upset tummy from

Tracie
Hello,
How is your girl doing?

Tracie
Hi! Thank you so much for your message ❤️
I think she is doing better. She’s not eating still, but she’s been active jumping from her branch to blanket etc.

I did feed her a little late, but they were small, and I also did used to feed her dubia roaches at night sometimes as well and there was never an issue? So I assume it’s because mealworms are harder to digest and I shouldn’t feed her too late. I do not have probiotics to give her, do you have a recommendation for beardies? I did give her water yesterday, she refused water today :/ I’ve also noticed blackness on her beard, I know this is a sign of stress/dominance?

Attachments

• EA8726C6-F7FF-4D62-9781-4B9DB6EAD591.jpeg
    EA8726C6-F7FF-4D62-9781-4B9DB6EAD591.jpeg
    203.6 KB · Views: 57

ivysul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Please get rid of the coil UVB they are inadequate and a hazard to your dragons health- you want a long tube fixture like one of these 24 watt you want the one w/ the 12% bulb if you have a petsmart check that store or you may be able to order it online Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Light Fixtures | PetSmart or you can get this one you will need to change the bulb out tho 2 ft or 24" Sun Blaster NanoTech T5 HO Fixture 2 Ft 1 Lamp Strip Light w/ Reflector direct from Growers House you want this fixture w/ a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb - Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
or you can get this one 24" Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO High Output Terrarium Hood this one comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you will need to change it out to the 22" Repstiun as posted above - these fixtures are good for 40 + gallon tanks - the Sunblaster that I normally post for website is having technical issues - you can try later for this website its https://hydrobuilder.com/grow-light...r-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html
they are having issues w/ it -- when you get the UVB please post back on here so I can help you place it for your tank - your screen will determine where the UVB goes for placement and distance - please get your basking temps up to 95-100 thats going to help w/ the digestion
Oh wow I had no idea it was hazardous. I was advised at the store to get the other bulb ugh :/ I will order these now. I also want to get her a much larger tank around 50 gallons. Wondering how I’d have the bulbs etc set up.
Also, if her tank temp & basking spot is 100F, should I still get a ceramic heat emitter? I feel like it’s not needed / would get too hot for her?
Thank you so much for your detailed response btw. Really appreciate it

ivysul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Will be ordering these two, 22”
And keep her basking bulb?

Attachments

• 06FBD964-9B44-4664-A7D0-DBB5ECF7F036.jpg
    06FBD964-9B44-4664-A7D0-DBB5ECF7F036.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 6884A0FD-06C8-48FC-8F71-E18AF8315C5D.jpg
    6884A0FD-06C8-48FC-8F71-E18AF8315C5D.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 51

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Will be ordering these two, 22”
And keep her basking bulb?
Ok for a tank of 35 and smaller use the 5.0 bulb-- it will need to be unobstructed no screen and directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches- I recommend not giving the worm meds till you have a parasite test done- take a fecal in for testing- NO ENEMAS! they are too risky - yes keep the basking bulb-- Che's are only needed if the tank is falling below 65 at nite

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I know it's crazy looking how they vomit, slinging their head side to side but she should be O.K.
It's good that you got her hydrated and now just avoid those freeze dried mealworms, they are too dry and can make a beardie sick. How many did she eat ? You can feed a few at a time but not more than that or just through them outside a few at a time for the birds.

ivysul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I know it's crazy looking how they vomit, slinging their head side to side but she should be O.K.
It's good that you got her hydrated and now just avoid those freeze dried mealworms, they are too dry and can make a beardie sick. How many did she eat ? You can feed a few at a time but not more than that or just through them outside a few at a time for the birds.
It was crazy looking I panicked and started to cry LOL I love her so much :(
They weren’t freeze dried, I only feed her live insects as I was told it’s healthier? I’ve also been told pellets are not good? So I’ve stayed away from both
I think she ate around 5-6 live mealworms the night before she threw up. She ended up eating the next day though, and had greens as well, she seems ok now - I panicked because online I had read vomiting was a sign of parasites

ivysul

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I've never heard of 'worm guard'
Reptaid I've used for a RTI.

Why are you considering OTC products for vomit?
I wouldn't feed freeze dried at all
Whats a RTI?
I didn’t feed her freeze dried, I only feed her live insects & organic greens. I’m very careful of what I let her consume. I, the human will have tap water, but will give my beardie bottled evian water LOL!

Wasn't considering OTC products for vomit, just had panicked in the moment as google said it would be parasites. So I guess I will not give her the worm guard?

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom