Beardie tip of tail and infection

dotdotdot95

Beardie name(s)
Gertrude (2019-2023💔)
Hi,

I have a 3 year old beardie, who had infection in her bone. She has been on antibiotics for 4 weeks now and pain killers as well.

She still has one more week of antibiotics left but at a lower dose.

She had infection in her tail as well as one of her legs. She responded well to the medication, and responds to being prodded on the leg, and responds on the tail, but not the tip.

The vet was pressing on her legs and tail yesterday to check for function and apart from her being flat and not fully holding herself up while walking she said it seems like the infection has gone.

When I first took her I was concerned cause she started limping and the tip of her tail was darker than usual.

Now that tip has fallen off today and I am panicking. The vets open tomorrow morning so will phone but I'm anxious to find out if this could just be the dead bit falling off cause she had the infection.

This is what the tail looks like now, and what her set up is like. The temps are 40C on basking spot and 26-28C on cold side at the moment (in Celsius). One side of her enclosure is tile and the other is usually dessert sand (she's always had it), but she just had a rehaul if the tank so no sand yet. Her UV is a t5 86cm one, with 12% uvb. Never mind the pillow she's laying on, she was on that just now as I was giving her her medication.

Attachments

• IMG_20230420_201952.jpg
    IMG_20230420_201952.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20230420_200622.jpg
    IMG_20230420_200622.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20230420_200618.jpg
    IMG_20230420_200618.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 62

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi,

I have a 3 year old beardie, who had infection in her bone. She has been on antibiotics for 4 weeks now and pain killers as well.

She still has one more week of antibiotics left but at a lower dose.

She had infection in her tail as well as one of her legs. She responded well to the medication, and responds to being prodded on the leg, and responds on the tail, but not the tip.

The vet was pressing on her legs and tail yesterday to check for function and apart from her being flat and not fully holding herself up while walking she said it seems like the infection has gone.

When I first took her I was concerned cause she started limping and the tip of her tail was darker than usual.

Now that tip has fallen off today and I am panicking. The vets open tomorrow morning so will phone but I'm anxious to find out if this could just be the dead bit falling off cause she had the infection.

This is what the tail looks like now, and what her set up is like. The temps are 40C on basking spot and 26-28C on cold side at the moment (in Celsius). One side of her enclosure is tile and the other is usually dessert sand (she's always had it), but she just had a rehaul if the tank so no sand yet. Her UV is a t5 86cm one, with 12% uvb. Never mind the pillow she's laying on, she was on that just now as I was giving her her medication.
Flagging your post to AHBD - she can help you w/ this
@AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it's really hard to say if there's still infection under the scales, just feeling it won't decide if there is. You can soak it in watered down betadine [ 1 part betadine to 10 parts water ] once a day for 5-10 minutes. You can put the mixture in a paper cup or glass and just dangle her tail in it if she will cooperate. You could also put raw honey on it to see if that helps. Be sure there are no insects hiding in the enclosure. Time will tell if it gets worse, just keep an eye on it.

dotdotdot95

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gertrude (2019-2023💔)
Hi, just wanted to give an update. I spoke to my vet the day after I posted and she had a look at the tail. It is dry and has healthy vessels that she could see, and it's now healing nicely. It was the dead tissue that fell which was expected, and now the healthy tissue can recover.

Thank you all for your help!

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom