Beardie that doesn't like being in a cage >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.

zelphos

Draco is 4 years old, I've had him 2 years and rescued the little guy, he's spoiled with a 4ft long, 2 ft high, 2ft wide enclosure, 36 inch reptisun 10.0 and a 100 watt halogen for basking and the cool side has a 65 watt and gives off not much heat at all. he's got a platform with stairs that lead up about 9 inches under UVB and thats where his basking spot is also. He scratches after being in 10 minutes to get out and turns very light with a black beard he's also very alert. I take his glass out and off he runs to get into the window, its. been sunny out so I open it and he basks in it all day, could it be he just rather have that natural sun since he knows its nice out? Also he won't sleep in his cage he snuggles up really close to my stomach and falls asleep that way, ive actually went away and my mother watched him and it was about 4 hours passed when he usually goes to sleep and he wouldn't let her put him to bed he stayed up, is anyone else's bearded dragon like this? I'm not complaining as I love my little guy but I'm just curious if anyone else has a beardie like this

Derobmi

Hatchling Member
What are his temps like in his cage?

It sounds so sweet to me that he wants to fall asleep on you! :) What a cutie! I wonder if it becomes a problem again, like if someone else is watching him for you, maybe one of your worn t-shirts in his cage would help?

My female used to glass dance to get out of her cage and then run all over the room until she ran out of steam and found a cave. If Draco knows that you'll let him out and that he'll get to bask in the real sun, well, I'd probably choose that, too. He knows what he wants and he knows how to get it! :)

Beardies are just too adorable. I can't imagine how I lived before I got mine. Those were dark times..

:D

AZPumpMan

Mine does that too! He's only about a year old and I've only had him for almost a week, but he's never lost the black beard! And same with the sleeping, he absolutely won't sleep in his cage unless he sleeps on me first. He'll literally stay wide awake in his dark cage at night, but as soon as he's on my neck snuggling, he's out in 5 minutes and goes right to sleep in his cage haha! :lol: :D

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Harley is the same way about sleeping. She wont sleep unless it's in her blankie on me first or under the extra pillow on my bed. I sometimes prop it up and she will sprawl out completely under it and pass out. If I don't take her out at lights out, she will sit there for an hour or 2 in the dark until she finally falls asleep. On me or under the pillow and she's out in 5-10 mins :lol: She's 5 months old now and I've had her since she was 6 weeks old. I've never seen Harley black beard at all. She's bearded a few times at nothing. I think she was just practicing or something :lol:

lizzieish

Oh I'm pleased I came across this thread I think I'm having the same problem!

I bought Molly a nice new tank a month ago and as soon as she's in, she wants out, or sulks in the corner and does nothing. Yet when she's out, she runs around, is alert and active and cuddles up (which she is doing at the moment) on me to fall asleep. (Eating normally/pooing normally/no general health concerns)

I've handled her everyday from her being 6 weeks old and have her out and about a lot, I'm starting to think I've spolied her so she won't ever like being locked up! I've just bought her a new fancy tank which is coming in a few weeks so don't know if this will make her happier, princess getting her dream castle and all that?!

zelphos

Original Poster
Draco is the same way, I put him in his cage and he lays down and looks all sad, I get him out and he runs the house like he owns the place haha. As for at night time I feel too guilty making him sit in the dark awake so he sleeps in bed wrapped in a blanket with me, of course with his nose sticking out so he can breathe and he closes his eyes and goes to sleep right away. Good luck Lizzieish, Draco has a custom built tank that's huge and still doesn't want to be in it lol. I'm not too worried or anything about him getting UVB since he sits in the window with it open and the sun shining in on him. As long as draco gets atleast an hour of sun a day I let him run around the house and explore and he seems to be thriving. Dragons like to feel secure and safe and the only way they feel that way at night is if they are covered and have a hideaway or wrapped in a blanket or something. Most people don't put a house in their bearded dragons cage unfortunately and that can really stress them out sleeping out in the open. I have a shoe box cut out in dracos cage, I really don't know why though since he's never in his cage lol.

lizzieish

Yeah she has hides in her tank but much prefers blankets so I'm in the process of making her a fleecy pillow bed with a blanket for her tank lol. She best like this new tank I've spent my whole bonus on it!

LaughingBuddha

Hatchling Member
Its great to let you juvi's run around. They are bursting with energy and it's great exercise for them. But I think some of you are putting human emotions into your pets. In the wild these animals are solitary, independent animals. I know it's nice to hug them, but I don't believe it's a good thing if you allow your pet to sleep on you every night and then it can't sleep on it's own. Or if you hand feed to the point that they wont even chase a cricket (not saying any of you do).
Also you have to remember at all times that you are the boss. If you allow a reptile to become your boss you a not a very smart human. Make a routine that suits you as well as the animal and stick to it. This way your beardy will feel secure. They are just like 3 year old kids lol.

Best of luck.

LaughingBuddha

Hatchling Member
zelphos said:
Dragons like to feel secure and safe and the only way they feel that way at night is if they are covered and have a hideaway or wrapped in a blanket or something.
My Dragon has a great hide that she loves to run in and out of and rest in. But still chooses to sleep on her basking log every night. lol

LaughingBuddha

Hatchling Member
lizzieish":141xiod6 said:
Yeah she has hides in her tank but much prefers blankets so I'm in the process of making her a fleecy pillow bed with a blanket for her tank lol. She best like this new tank I've spent my whole bonus on it!

I wrapped an old bath towel around a plank of wood and used it as a ramp. Its amazing how they love soft stuff even though they spend so much time in rocks in the wild. Maybe I'll just throw a load of pillows and clothes in her viv. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom