Beardie swollen leg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch1998

Original Poster
KarrieRee":exqsft53 said:
Those are tubes but I would switch one out to the Arcadia if you can find them now there are shortages of the 24" 12% Desert here in the states --- I had checked one place over in the UK area and they were out too of the 24" length --- you can get the Reptisun brand 10.0 T 5 they are just as good tho -- you dont need two UVB's in your tank -- one good one is enough --- and you dont want to over UVB him-- if your tank is huge length wise 2 would be fine but most people usually have a 4x2x2 for a large tank --

Sorry I don’t understand what you’re saying Karrie my tank measures
16inch height x 44inch wide x 19 inch depth

I have x2 tube/strip uvb bulbs and one basking/heat screw bulb.

Are you saying I would only need x1 tube bulb and the x1 basking bulb?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
With a 16 inch high tank you would want the T8 bulb Arcadia 12% your fixture has a reflector on it correct???? --- the T 5 is going to be too strong for the height of the tank --- one good UVB as recommended and one bright white basking bulb --- no off colored white or yellowish bulb please -- the distance for the T 8 would be directly over the basking decor 6-8 inches --

Mitch1998

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1mm9vi1r said:
With a 16 inch high tank you would want the T8 bulb Arcadia 12% your fixture has a reflector on it correct???? --- the T 5 is going to be too strong for the height of the tank --- one good UVB as recommended and one bright white basking bulb --- no off colored white or yellowish bulb please -- the distance for the T 8 would be directly over the basking decor 6-8 inches --

Okay I can get that bulb no problem, no it hasn’t got a reflector on it I’m already guessing that would be a good investment as I imagine a lot of the uvb is wasted without one I’m guessing ?

Thankyou again for all this info

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes - the reflector will emit the rays downward benefiting him- w/ the T 8 distance is 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor

Mitch1998

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3puzj7yd said:
Yes - the reflector will emit the rays downward benefiting him- w/ the T 8 distance is 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor

Okay think I have such a better understanding and will be making a big order asap

Thankyou again for all your help

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Let me know his behavior after you get it set up and a day or two after install- this bulb will need to be changed out in approx 6 months I recommend 5

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Let us know how things go with trying to get his lighting all changed up.
As Karrie suggested, getting the UVB light to be directed downward towards him will be much
more effective for him.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

Mitch1998

Original Poster
Drache613":3hjhl1uv said:
Hello,

Any updates for us on your dragon?

Tracie

Hi there tracie,

Sorry for the late reply but yes since we last spoke I have invested in a new UVB lighting set up as you recommended through the Arcadia brand.
Even before I purchased this I thought best to unplug one of my bulbs I had on at the time, and I was shocked at the difference really Greg does seem to be a lot more happier.

I have added more photos to my album including a new lighting set up-
https://www.flickr.com/photos/130513649@N05/albums/72157719959893843

Also you’ll see there recent photos of Greg’s swollen leg, he seems to be walking much better now and putting weight on it however the swelling does seem to still be there, I have been giving him small amounts of tart cherry juice as recent as I can to see if this can help if it’s suspect gout.
Honesty I have a feeling he has just hurt it by falling off one of his logs in his viv, I have since removed this and just seeing how it goes for the time being, he’s still pooping and eating well so all seems healthy for now.

But again Thankyou for all your help and advice on the lighting, actually shocked as I was recommended that starter kit viv including the x2 uvb bulbs by the shop when I purchased Greg but now I have changed to x1 uvb bulb all seems good ☺️

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Does your uvb have a reflector behind it? And distance should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor for a 12% bulb

Mitch1998

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2w56cy5y said:
Does your uvb have a reflector behind it? And distance should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor for a 12% bulb

Yes it does and yes it is

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks for the update, it sounds like you have made some great improvements!
That's great Greg is happier, too. I am sure he is feeling better. How bad is the
swelling, it has not changed at all?
Definitely continue using the black or tart cherry, daily to try & help with the kidneys.
He might have hurt himself by falling off of his logs if he was weak from insufficient
UVB exposure.
I took another look at his arm & it really looks like possible gout. Was the vet going
to consider getting him on allopurinol for that, or not?

Let us know how things are going!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom