Beardie suddenly stopped eating

Pward

Hello -
My 8-9 month old beardie suddenly refused bugs and stopped eating today. Yesterday completely fine, ate like normal and acted normal. Today he seems a little lethargic and won’t leave his basking spot.
Recent changes:
-From 40 to 120 gallon tank (2 weeks ago) no change in appetite until now so we figured he was adjusting fine.
-from small dubia to medium sized dubia
-currently shedding on his back
Basking area is 95-100 degrees, uvb is reptisun t5 10.0 high output and mounted inside tank.
I tried offering him BFSL as well and he refused.
He had a huge poo today so I don’t think it’s impaction. Only difference was his urate was a little watery today.
He seems a bit “sad” and a little grumpier than usual today.
Any advice would be helpful, thank you!

Attachments

• DFF1C67D-0BF5-4BF3-A358-CC30F1435B6E.jpeg
    DFF1C67D-0BF5-4BF3-A358-CC30F1435B6E.jpeg
    290.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 376683F6-EE50-4F8C-AB96-DF4CC51373E2.jpeg
    376683F6-EE50-4F8C-AB96-DF4CC51373E2.jpeg
    384.1 KB · Views: 58

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello -
My 8-9 month old beardie suddenly refused bugs and stopped eating today. Yesterday completely fine, ate like normal and acted normal. Today he seems a little lethargic and won’t leave his basking spot.
Recent changes:
-From 40 to 120 gallon tank (2 weeks ago) no change in appetite until now so we figured he was adjusting fine.
-from small dubia to medium sized dubia
-currently shedding on his back
Basking area is 95-100 degrees, uvb is reptisun t5 10.0 high output and mounted inside tank.
I tried offering him BFSL as well and he refused.
He had a huge poo today so I don’t think it’s impaction. Only difference was his urate was a little watery today.
He seems a bit “sad” and a little grumpier than usual today.
Any advice would be helpful, thank you!
The shed and the move has effected the appetite - give him time to adjust and keep offering him his food

Pward

Original Poster
The shed and the move has effected the appetite - give him time to adjust and keep offering him his food
Thank you for your reply -
Would his appetite still be affected even 2 weeks after his move? He has been quite ravenous up until today.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you for your reply -
Would his appetite still be affected even 2 weeks after his move? He has been quite ravenous up until today.
He's been eating? Sometimes they don't eat- mine don't eat everyday- shed can effect the appetite

Pward

Original Poster
He's been eating? Sometimes they don't eat- mine don't eat everyday- shed can effect the appetite
Also - if he doesn’t eat for the whole day, how can I get calcium into him? Should I mix it with a little water and give it via syringe?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Also - if he doesn’t eat for the whole day, how can I get calcium into him? Should I mix it with a little water and give it via syringe?
Dust his insects- lightly coated- he should have D 3 5x per week once a day until he's a year old-

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
That looks like a Zen habitat, was his old enclosure all glass? Alot of people say having the solid walls is less stressful but i don't agree. I have always kept mine in glass and when i forget to take the towels/curtains down they get mopey. Heck if i sleep in on the weekends and am late to get them down i can see they aren't happy.
Anyway my point was if he is used to being able to see out, it may effect his mood. Just a thought. :)

Pward

Original Poster
That looks like a Zen habitat, was his old enclosure all glass? Alot of people say having the solid walls is less stressful but i don't agree. I have always kept mine in glass and when i forget to take the towels/curtains down they get mopey. Heck if i sleep in on the weekends and am late to get them down i can see they aren't happy.
Anyway my point was if he is used to being able to see out, it may effect his mood. Just a thought. :)
Hello -
Yeah his old enclosure was glass but we did have the sides of the enclosure covered so he couldn’t see out the sides only through the front of the tank. He has been in his new enclosure since July 15 and has been eating fine.
Thank you for the input! 😁

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom