Beardie staying in only one area of enclosure, seems depressed

ishrey416

Beardie name(s)
Monkey
My almost 4 month old beardie Monkey has recently been acting strange for the last couple of days. I have a basking spot set up properly, but he seems to only stick to one corner that is on the warm wide of the tank, but only has a basking temp of around 95, and more critically, a UVI of around 2.0 (measured with temp gun and solarmeter).
He continues to eat amazingly, with 25+ dubias and BSFL in a sitting twice a day, and also poops daily regularly. What could be causing something like this? He is attentive and active when I take him out of the tank, jumping and exploring, but inside, even if I place him on his basking spot, he will jump down and to that spot after a bit. I’m worried he isn’t getting the UVB and temps he needs for digestion (his feces this morning had discernible insect parts).

He has a big shed coming up of his entire back and belly, and while in the past he has lost his appetite a little and has become lethargic before a shed, he hasn’t ever stopped basking.

For reference, I have him in a 4x2x2 with 2 150 watt basking bulbs above the mesh that create an even basking spot of 100-106F, and an ambient of around 90F. I also have a gradient that goes from 90F in the warm side to 75F in the cool. For UVB, I am using a Zoomed Reptisun 22” 10.0 T5HO, and the UVI at the basking spot is on average 4, and never more than 5. Pictures enclosed. Thanks!

Attachments

• 5835A88D-5E25-4474-B804-0FD961BAC0E9.jpeg
    5835A88D-5E25-4474-B804-0FD961BAC0E9.jpeg
    183.2 KB · Views: 138
  • 18B721F0-C159-4F64-82CA-2E17EA56C60D.jpeg
    18B721F0-C159-4F64-82CA-2E17EA56C60D.jpeg
    307.7 KB · Views: 111

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My almost 4 month old beardie Monkey has recently been acting strange for the last couple of days. I have a basking spot set up properly, but he seems to only stick to one corner that is on the warm wide of the tank, but only has a basking temp of around 95, and more critically, a UVI of around 2.0 (measured with temp gun and solarmeter).
He continues to eat amazingly, with 25+ dubias and BSFL in a sitting twice a day, and also poops daily regularly. What could be causing something like this? He is attentive and active when I take him out of the tank, jumping and exploring, but inside, even if I place him on his basking spot, he will jump down and to that spot after a bit. I’m worried he isn’t getting the UVB and temps he needs for digestion (his feces this morning had discernible insect parts).

He has a big shed coming up of his entire back and belly, and while in the past he has lost his appetite a little and has become lethargic before a shed, he hasn’t ever stopped basking.

For reference, I have him in a 4x2x2 with 2 150 watt basking bulbs above the mesh that create an even basking spot of 100-106F, and an ambient of around 90F. I also have a gradient that goes from 90F in the warm side to 75F in the cool. For UVB, I am using a Zoomed Reptisun 22” 10.0 T5HO, and the UVI at the basking spot is on average 4, and never more than 5. Pictures enclosed. Thanks!
First I would move your UVB off the back wall and have it placed somewhere he can sit directly under it - I will post a pic of my Zen for reference so you can see - the undigested insects tells me his basking temp is not hot enough-- are you getting surface basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer ? IR guns cannot read off of certain materials especially off of hammocks - I just noticed your using 2 150 watt bulbs? Is that correct? Right now I am using for my Zen w/ the bulbs on top one 150 watt and another dome w/ a 75 watt in it - I had a 100 watt in it this morning and the temps were not getting there so I changed it out w/ the weather being so goofy I am always watching the temps in the tank - the weather reflects on my temps in the tank because I have a sunny room and if the sun is coming in to that room it will affect the temps - I also have another basking spot in the middle of the tank w/ the UVB that is a 75 watt w/ temps running on his basking rock in the 90's - please get a digital probe for the most accurate surface basking temps

Attachments

• IMG_20210920_080952243.jpg
    IMG_20210920_080952243.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 93

ishrey416

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Monkey
My designated basking spot for him is that long rock in the middle, which he used regularly when he was basking normally. The hammocks are not under the basking lights and are pretty much only used by him to relax on momentarily, easily climb to the basking surface, or sleep on at night.

I always thought a digital thermometer + probe was for ambient (air) temps, not for basking surfaces? To measure my surface temps I always use an IR thermometer gun, which is what tells me that the basking surface is always a steady 100-105F.

The only thing I can think of is the UVB placement, but even where it is now it took ages of trial and error to have the proper UVI. Hanging it like you did is out of the question for me because of how high my basking spots are (and my boy lovessss to climb).
Could this be because of an illness of some kind? He was recently diagnosed with coccidia, and is currently in the break period of his treatment. However, he has never shown any symptoms before.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My designated basking spot for him is that long rock in the middle, which he used regularly when he was basking normally. The hammocks are not under the basking lights and are pretty much only used by him to relax on momentarily, easily climb to the basking surface, or sleep on at night.

I always thought a digital thermometer + probe was for ambient (air) temps, not for basking surfaces? To measure my surface temps I always use an IR thermometer gun, which is what tells me that the basking surface is always a steady 100-105F.

The only thing I can think of is the UVB placement, but even where it is now it took ages of trial and error to have the proper UVI. Hanging it like you did is out of the question for me because of how high my basking spots are (and my boy lovessss to climb).
Could this be because of an illness of some kind? He was recently diagnosed with coccidia, and is currently in the break period of his treatment. However, he has never shown any symptoms before.
I am thinking that rock is getting too hot please get a digital probe Zoo Med Reptile Terrarium Digital Thermometer | reptile Humidity & Temperature Control | PetSmart place it on the rock wait 10 minutes or so and get the temp you want temps for him 95-100--- they are the most accurate -I would get two of them one for your cool side and one for your basking side and yes they will give ambient temps too but you want a surface basking temp --- do you see the two bars on the screen running width wise in the tank -- I would utilize those and move your UVB there you can use 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties - or this stuff that is hard to find but I am going to post it anyway you might be able to find something in Home Depot or your local hardware store that is similar https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
this stuff works great - I use them in my tanks -- you can still leave the climbing stuff in the tank -- your distance for your UVB should be 12-15 inches w/ a piece of decor directly underneath
The meds could be causing the behavior I am not sure exactly what your asking about illness- meds will cause lack of appetite and they need plenty of water as meds can cause dehydration as well --

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom