Beardie sleeping whole day for months

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I would just be telling you how I would do it but using that chart I'd be sure to use very light coating.
Thanks for your reply, understood it is difficult to give a definite answer.

Sorry that I have more question, can I get your comment on MVB as well? Is MVB better for bd that having MBD? Like help them to stabilize the situation or improve faster.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4

Sorry that I have more question, can I get your comment on MVB as well? Is MVB better for bd that having MBD? Like help them to stabilize the situation or improve faster.
MVB's are not all the same and it depends on the brand your using-- they are good for heat but not so much UVB-- if your using one you want a Mega Ray and depending on the placement of the MVB will determine exactly how much UVB hes getting- so w/ that being said I recommend a long tube fixture for another UVB -- like a Zoo Med or Arcadia Pro T 5 or a Sunblaster Nano Tech -- if you need links please ask I will post them

AHBD

BD.org Sicko

I would avoid a MVB because your tank is built low and the MVB would be too close in almost any area. Keep using the long linear tubes but if you hang them in the tank [ I think you did ] then just get the Reptisun and this is also because the lack of height between the bulb and the dragon. The way your cage is built dictates how strong of a uvb to use.

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I would avoid a MVB because your tank is built low and the MVB would be too close in almost any area. Keep using the long linear tubes but if you hang them in the tank [ I think you did ] then just get the Reptisun and this is also because the lack of height between the bulb and the dragon. The way your cage is built dictates how strong of a uvb to use.
Hi, if my tank is too low, can I workaround by fixing the MVB higher above the mesh? Just that I'm not sure if the MVB is harmless and good to my dragon that can help improving his MBD condition and won't make it worse? Again sorry for so many questions because the info on Google not all the same.

Or you'd suggest to just add another Reptisun T8 tube like Karrie suggested?

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
MVB's are not all the same and it depends on the brand your using-- they are good for heat but not so much UVB-- if your using one you want a Mega Ray and depending on the placement of the MVB will determine exactly how much UVB hes getting- so w/ that being said I recommend a long tube fixture for another UVB -- like a Zoo Med or Arcadia Pro T 5 or a Sunblaster Nano Tech -- if you need links please ask I will post them
Thanks Karrie for your kind suggestion :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thanks Karrie for your kind suggestion :)
You only need one UVB -- if your tank is real low as suggested stay away from the MVB's - the T 8's are good for low tanks like 16" or so and you can use the Zoo Med fixture w/ the T 8 bulb -- I would get the 10.0 and not use the 5.0 that it comes w/ - it will need to be in the tank w/ no screen and 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can use 2 uvb's like you had in the first place. Do you have ones the Reptisun's that fit the small fixtures you have as seen in the pictures on the first page ? Only one is above the basking spot and the dragon doesn't spend a lot of time there so it's good to have one over the hammock as well.

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
You only need one UVB -- if your tank is real low as suggested stay away from the MVB's - the T 8's are good for low tanks like 16" or so and you can use the Zoo Med fixture w/ the T 8 bulb -- I would get the 10.0 and not use the 5.0 that it comes w/ - it will need to be in the tank w/ no screen and 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor
Ya my tank is 45cm in height (around 17.7 inches). Ya I only have Zoo Med Reptisun T8 10.0, currently I have 2 tubes. The dragon back is exactly 6 inches from the tube on the basking platform.

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
You can use 2 uvb's like you had in the first place. Do you have ones the Reptisun's that fit the small fixtures you have as seen in the pictures on the first page ? Only one is above the basking spot and the dragon doesn't spend a lot of time there so it's good to have one over the hammock as well.
To confirm I just need to redo the setup like this initially setup for the tubes right? One tube above basking platform and one tube above hammock.

Attachments

• IMG_20220630_013907.jpg
    IMG_20220630_013907.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 46

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi, we have added another UVB tube. We fix it at the left side because he would stay there for at least half an hour in the morning, he rarely stay on the hammock. (sorry please ignore the dirty and blurry glass)

But I have one worry now. We make the height is exactly 6 inches above the dragon back. But when he lift his chest or head, the distance would be smaller for about 1-2 inches, is this okay? Or I should make the distance bigger to like 8 inches? But then I worried he couldn't get enough UVB at this distance.

Previously I thought it is okay if within 4-6 inches (10-15cm) because I did check Zoo Med website, based on their chart it is safe as long as bigger than 8cm (3 inches).

But this time when I receive the T8 packaging, I think they added this reminder of can not be less than 6 inches, so I became worried especially now I'd try to get him expose to as much UVB as possible.

Can get some or your suggestion on the UVB distance?

Attachments

• 1_2023-03-05_154923.jpg
    1_2023-03-05_154923.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 2_2023-03-05_153853.jpg
    2_2023-03-05_153853.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 3_2023-03-05_154032.jpg
    3_2023-03-05_154032.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 4_2023-03-05_155111.jpg
    4_2023-03-05_155111.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 43

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Raise that light up on the left, tit looks like you have more room to get it to the top screen.
Sure, but may I know what is the safe height range which he could absorb the UVB and not harmful? Because am confused with the info provided by Zoo Med @@

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Also right, may I know can dragon absorb UVB to create vitamin D3 when he is sleeping? Coz he keep hiding I'm worried he can't get enough UVB so I was thinking to turn it on when he is asleep.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Also right, may I know can dragon absorb UVB to create vitamin D3 when he is sleeping? Coz he keep hiding I'm worried he can't get enough UVB so I was thinking to turn it on when he is asleep.
For T 8's distance should be 6-8 inches -- and no dragons need to have lights off for them to sleep - your dragon knows when he needs the UVB rays --

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom