Beardie sleeping whole day for months

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Has he been basking under the uvb bulbs at all or just getting 15-45 minutes outside ? If you turned off 1 the uvb bulb in the middle, turn it back on every 2 days but raise it a little higher. Are the uvb bulbs still good ? Do you use calcium powder, how often ?

Also you mentioned that the cool end is 86-88F and you made an air-con box but he wasn't using it. He may still be overheated for long periods of time which could be a big problem. Is it still that hot ?
He bask under the UVB tube very less per day. Only when in the morning when feeding time, and after soaking when we put him on the platform, where he will go down to his hide after about half an hour. Total up I think one day only bask about 1 hour, 2 most under the UVB tube. So we pretty much rely on the sun bask. However as I checked with you few days ago, I'm not sure if he can get the UVB if he is under roof at the side nearest to sun.

The UVB tube I have removed the middle one since last year after getting advice in this thread.

We fed him calcium everyday, but we stopped once we started feeding him BSFL 6 months ago, coz we read it contains high calcium level so we worried about too much calcium. So I think this is the reason of he having MBD.

Yes the tank temperature is still around 87F I couldn't bring it down. Is it Malaysia really not suitable for bearded dragon? If yes do you know if any channel that I can send him to somewhere and somebody that can take really good care of him?

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I dont recommend the reptizoo brand - if you can get the Reptisun or a Arcadia 12% bulb stick w/ them - the outside time he will benefit more - especially w/ the Reptizoo brand - what kind of winters do you have over there? Can you get him out year round? If you can get him outside year round then I would say you can use the Reptizoo brand - its just not a good bulb -- I would also change it out more often - like every 5 months if its the T 5 a good bulb like the ones mentioned above will last 10 - 11 months before changing out -- if you can get the Reptisun bulb from the sellers order 2 at a time then your set for almost 2 years since they will last 10 - 11 months -- if you go that route make sure you mark on the box or calendar when you install them - they wont expire not being used --
I managed to get back the Reptisun T8 10.0 few days ago. The previous one started 24-May-2022, so it was 9 months old. I didn't pay attention on it coz I thought we just rely on the sun.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I managed to get back the Reptisun T8 10.0 few days ago. The previous one started 24-May-2022, so it was 9 months old. I didn't pay attention on it coz I thought we just rely on the sun.
9 months is too old for a T 8- if you can rely on the sun for all year that's good - then the uvb is just extra

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, maybe with the new uvb bulb it will help and also add calcium powder to his diet. The temp.of 87 F for the coolest side is too hot, is there anyway to cool your house in that room ?

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
O.K, maybe with the new uvb bulb it will help and also add calcium powder to his diet. The temp.of 87 F for the coolest side is too hot, is there anyway to cool your house in that room ?
He is in living room and we couldn't afford to turn on an aircon for him 24 hours per day.

If temperature is an issue why doesn't he like the cool box?

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Is it okay if use cooler to bring down the temperature? I considered it but then I am worried it is not good for his respiratory because cooler use cold water and blow out mist.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Probably because it's just a box or he doesn't recognize it as the place to cool off. I'm sorry that you're trying so hard but still have these problems. Remember to add some calcium powder, just a light coating, to his food a couple times a week. How often does he eat now ? Is it all bsfl he eats ? Oh, you posted while I was typing this , I don't know about a mist, it might be a problem. If there was a way to cool down the area without a direct mist.

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I thought we're supposed to add calcium powder everyday? Especially since he has MBD now. We feed him every morning, he has mixture of bsfl and the flies, and recently we give dubia. Also give vege, 1 or partial piece of leaf depends on his mood.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's hard to say if he definitely has MBD, you can use calcium every day if you like but my suggestion was every couple days to be safe just in case his tremors are caused by something else.

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It's hard to say if he definitely has MBD, you can use calcium every day if you like but my suggestion was every couple days to be safe just in case his tremors are caused by something else.

Hi, we have met the vet yesterday and taken x-ray, vet diagnose he is MBD. We need to give him calcium pills (dilute with water and follow the dosage prescribed by vet) for 7 days. After that, resume calcium powder and continue monitor.

Previously we gave Exo Terra calcium powder and multivitamin, but it has been more than 1 year the powder so I think we should change and we want to consider anything better.

We are looking at Zoo Med vitamins and calcium. Would like to confirm if this schedule okay? Because this is what we commonly saw on Google

Day
1 - calcium w D3
2 - calcium wo D3
3 - calcium w D3
4 - calcium wo D3
5 - calcium w D3
6 - calcium wo D3
7 - vitamins wo D3 (no calcium)

But you and vet mentioned that we should only give calcium every couple of days (vet says 2-3 times per week). So how should the schedule be?

Attachments

• A34-8_Repti_Calcium_with_D3-361x450.jpg
    A34-8_Repti_Calcium_with_D3-361x450.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 35
  • A33-8_Repti_Calcium_without_D3-351x450.jpg
    A33-8_Repti_Calcium_without_D3-351x450.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 47
  • A35-40_ReptiVite_without_D3-257x450.jpg
    A35-40_ReptiVite_without_D3-257x450.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 43

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Also would like to get suggestion should we give probiotics to him? This is recommended by pet shop and vet also say is good. If yes, any recommended brand? We can only find this China brand here, not sure okay or not.

Attachments

• a1efe0c51fcd319738ad12d730c65307.jpg
    a1efe0c51fcd319738ad12d730c65307.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 37

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K sounds good, I've never used probiotics so that's up to you. Hopefully he'll get better with the calcium and new bulb. Try to build a larger outdoor cage for him too for more sun exposure .

Astrid.C

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
O.K sounds good, I've never used probiotics so that's up to you. Hopefully he'll get better with the calcium and new bulb. Try to build a larger outdoor cage for him too for more sun exposure .

Thanks. May I get your suggestion on the calcium powder + vitamins too? The schedule like this okay?

Day
1 - calcium w D3
2 - calcium wo D3
3 - calcium w D3
4 - calcium wo D3
5 - calcium w D3
6 - calcium wo D3
7 - vitamins wo D3 (no calcium)

If give calcium every other day, should it be calcium with D3 only or mix with without D3?

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom