beardie shivering while being outside

Iamakel

hello lads!

my 5 years old beardie Scar is shivering while being outside and only when he sees things flying, like birds or planes.

he was diagnosed at birth with atadenovirus. he’s a survivor and went through many stargazing phases. he’s not able to eat by himself, I’ve been handfeeding him for 5 years and will keep doing so. I think he got neurological issues as he tries to catch his live prey but he misses it by a few centimeters. he also doesn’t seem to measure the height of things, like if I put him now on a table, he’ll go straight and fall, won’t look down or try to climb down. he’s been like this forever, but the shivering scares me a little. it looks like he’s scared.

he’s staying outside in direct sunlight almost 4 months a year (homemade fence viv outside with a net on top) and during late autumn, winter and spring I got Repti Planet 10.0 in his viv along with other heat bulbs. he’s eating good with his bugs covered in calcium and poops once in 2 days.

has anyone seen something like this in beardies?

thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
hello lads!

my 5 years old beardie Scar is shivering while being outside and only when he sees things flying, like birds or planes.

he was diagnosed at birth with atadenovirus. he’s a survivor and went through many stargazing phases. he’s not able to eat by himself, I’ve been handfeeding him for 5 years and will keep doing so. I think he got neurological issues as he tries to catch his live prey but he misses it by a few centimeters. he also doesn’t seem to measure the height of things, like if I put him now on a table, he’ll go straight and fall, won’t look down or try to climb down. he’s been like this forever, but the shivering scares me a little. it looks like he’s scared.

he’s staying outside in direct sunlight almost 4 months a year (homemade fence viv outside with a net on top) and during late autumn, winter and spring I got Repti Planet 10.0 in his viv along with other heat bulbs. he’s eating good with his bugs covered in calcium and poops once in 2 days.

has anyone seen something like this in beardies?

thank you!
Is he getting a black beard? Not sure what the shivering could be from - some others on here might know- the outside time is good for UVB however I would look at getting a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia 12% bulb for him -- they are better quality bulbs -- are you using a T 5 or a T 8 ? Distance and placement is determined by screen and they bulb
@AHBD
@CooperDragon
@Drache613

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's possibly related to the ADV, his nervous system may be triggered in to the slight spasms when he's startled or scared. Poor lil Scar, he's a survivor so far, I hope he lives as long and happy a life as possible.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I love and hate these stories. I love people who are willing to go the extra mile for their beardies, you are all heroes as far as I'm concerned. But i hate when they have health problems it just breaks my heart. I don't know the answer to your question but i will keep you both in my prayers.

Iamakel

Original Poster
thank you for the kind words!
I know about Reptisun 10.0 and Arcadia 12 but they’re not available here. I’ve bought the Reptisun 10.0 once and the shipping customs and clearance were more than the product itself, it ended up malfunctioning anyway. I’m using T5 and the best I find here are ExoTerra Repti Glo 10.0 and now there’s this new Repti Planet 10.0 which I’m currently using (in the past 2-ish years). The distance is about 20 cm. He rarely gets a black beard, mostly when there’s too hot outside and he wants inside (we had days this summer with 44-45°C and I had to keep him inside after 12). He’s very active and will run everywhere if I put him on the ground, but it may be related to ADV as AHBD said.
thank you again! he got the name Scar after he injured himself falling from the stairs when he was about 3 weeks old and got a -scar- on his head after, Lion King reference!
CD49ED13-7367-49CE-AACC-F42B61387CD8.jpeg

Last edited:

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom