Beardie Rescue Volunteer request

DeepNuff

I am a foster for a local (Olympia, WA area) small animal rescue (Tiny Tails and Scales). I have volunteered to sew some bow ties or other "fashion statements" for bearded dragons and the other small critters this rescue serves. The purpose would be to use such props for photographing critters, including beardies, available for adoption by online posting. I have been in cat and dog rescue for 13 years and understand that showcasing an animal is critical for getting the attention of potential adopters.

To make bow ties or other showcase props, I need to know some body measurements. How big around is a beardie neck at various ages/sizes/lengths in its lifecycle?

I had considered attaching the bowties to narrow elastic (1/4-in wide , 1/3-cm wide for the rest of the planet).

However, I am also concerned that stressed beardies can expand their necks under duress. Please let me know if my service is not a good idea.

Thanks a bunch!
Eileen

Pancake151

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Cookie, Waffles

I am a foster for a local (Olympia, WA area) small animal rescue (Tiny Tails and Scales). I have volunteered to sew some bow ties or other "fashion statements" for bearded dragons and the other small critters this rescue serves. The purpose would be to use such props for photographing critters, including beardies, available for adoption by online posting. I have been in cat and dog rescue for 13 years and understand that showcasing an animal is critical for getting the attention of potential adopters.

To make bow ties or other showcase props, I need to know some body measurements. How big around is a beardie neck at various ages/sizes/lengths in its lifecycle?

I had considered attaching the bowties to narrow elastic (1/4-in wide , 1/3-cm wide for the rest of the planet).

However, I am also concerned that stressed beardies can expand their necks under duress. Please let me know if my service is not a good idea.

Thanks a bunch!
Eileen
I think it‘s an amazing idea, however the majority of Bearded Dragons do not like things around their neck. I‘d do something like little top hats, like I’ve done here. (NOTE- This ‘enclosure’ was only used for travel purposes.)
DED969C9-FCC9-46B6-9BDB-183DFF7F7434.jpeg

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
What about making something like an open ended lei. Maile style Ti lei or ribbon graduation lei is what I'm thinking, Google should find images for them

This would be flexible for all sizes of beardies. About 6 inches long for an audit should drape around the shoulders nicely

Beardies also look nice with capes! Medium - 6" length, 4" at bottom, tapers to 2.5" at top. Large - 8" length, 6" at bottom to 3.5" at top. Simple cord that can be done as a bow at the neck loose

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LiamYe
Top Bottom