Beardie Prolapsed over the weekend- now won’t defecate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moogle217

Hello!

My 3 month old baby Perdita prolapsed on Saturday night- an expensive emergency trip to the vet luckily fixed the issue. After describing her set up and feeding to the vet, she said she didn’t believe husbandry was the cause of the prolapse. She gave me the usual meds for worms/parasites just in case that was the issue. She also said that luckily Perdita did not need stitches on her vent.

However, it is now Wednesday and Perdy hasn’t pooped yet. No urea, nothing. Today I also couldn’t get her to eat. I gave her a warm bath, belly massage and had her drink water.

Is it normal for them to be a little off after a prolapse like that, or should I be on the vet with the phone tomorrow? I’ll likely call anyway, but just wonder what your opinions are on the topic.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would go ahead & call the vet back, just to be sure that there isn't something else going
on. Does she appear stressed, such as a black beard, restless behavior?
Did the vet suggest feeding only soft foods for awhile? Do you know what could have caused
the prolapse at such a young age?
I would recommend for now, only feeding soft foods so that she doesn't have to strain if she
needs to go to the bathroom. She just had the prolapsed pushed gently back in, but there are
not any stitches?
I hope that the vet didn't hurt her internally & injure her. She may be sore though, it just depends
on the severity of the prolapse.

Tracie

Moogle217

Original Poster
Thank you for your reply!

Luckily today after a long, long soak in the tub she finally was able to defecate. Poor girl held it in from Sunday until Thursday! Too long for a little 3 month old for sure.

Hopefully she will be fine now. I never noticed her showing any signs of being in pain, not even when she prolapsed. In fact she was sound asleep when we first dropped her to the vet!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is good news she didn't prolapse again & finally went to the bathroom, too. I hope she
is feeling better, bless her. If you continue to give softer foods for a bit, that should help.
Are you giving enough calcium for her & does she have a good UVB light?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom