Beardie prolapse?

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
So I got my beardie about 3 weeks ago now, he’s 3-4 months old (he’s 9.5 in) I will admit I’m dumb for this, but when my beardie uses the bathroom his cloaca prolapses, but when he’s done it goes back in, he’s done this since the day I got him, I didn’t not know this wasn’t normal, this is my first beardie. I made him a vet appointment for bloody poop not knowing it was actually his cloaca. I can’t find any vets to take him sooner then the 19th of September. What should I do!?!? He doesn’t seem to be in any pain, he’s eating running around basking soaking. Acting completely normal.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

This happens somewhat frequently but most of the time it isn't a concern. If the area stayed prolapsed
or outside of the body then that is definitely a problem.
So there is not any blood involved, correct? As strange as it sounds, if you can get a quick picture just
so we can see, that might help out.
Since he is acting normal there probably isn't any prolapse or a true prolapse.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hello,

This happens somewhat frequently but most of the time it isn't a concern. If the area stayed prolapsed
or outside of the body then that is definitely a problem.
So there is not any blood involved, correct? As strange as it sounds, if you can get a quick picture just
so we can see, that might help out.
Since he is acting normal there probably isn't any prolapse or a true prolapse.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie
I would get you a picture, but since it only comes out for a couple seconds while he uses the bathroom it’s hard to catch and he’s sleeping right now, I will definitely try to post one in the morning but there is blood not consistent, but he goes and then there’s some blood on the cloaca, but then after a couple seconds it goes back in.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is very odd. Does he seem to strain when he goes to the bathroom?
He could have a heavy load of worms or parasites which can cause issues such as these.
How is he doing today, has he eaten anything?
If you have any aloe vera gel, or antibiotic ointment or silver gel, you can use one of those
to apply onto the area, if needed.
Were you going to get a fecal done on him, you had mentioned?

Tracie

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hello,

That is very odd. Does he seem to strain when he goes to the bathroom?
He could have a heavy load of worms or parasites which can cause issues such as these.
How is he doing today, has he eaten anything?
If you have any aloe vera gel, or antibiotic ointment or silver gel, you can use one of those
to apply onto the area, if needed.
Were you going to get a fecal done on him, you had mentioned?

Tracie
I am taking him to the vet for a fecal, but I wasn’t able to find an appointment till September 19th and I’ve called every vet that I can get to and that was the soonest time, and he’s just as lively running around eating all that good stuff, and hey he does seem to have to push quite hard. Seems like it’s not as bloody today tho. And ointments? What would you recommend putting on him, I’ve seen people use neosporen.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Some tissue usually appears when they poo. Is there actual smears of blood left on his cloaca or on the poo or the floor after ? Just trying to be sure this isn't just a normal b.m

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, I thought your appointment was later on.
Work on getting more oral fluids into him, in case his urates are a bit hard. That is a good sign
if there didn't seem to be as much blood or reddish with the stool today.
Neosporin, polysporin or silver gel are all good for issues such as this.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom