Beardie passed away this morning :(

wayamargiela

Beardie name(s)
Osama Pebbles & Dexter
I had gotten a baby beardie June 1, 2022. His name was Dexter (I called him Dex). It took him about two weeks to get used to me and not run from me when I tried to handle him. Shortly after he started to become attached to me. He’d glass surf whenever I put him in his tank & he’d even stick his nails into my arms when it was time to go back in. Whenever I took him out his stress marks would disappear & he’d find a comfy spot on my body & just nap. Last night I took both of my beardies out of their tanks & I gave them their night rubs as I usually would. They fell asleep on my chest (my pillows behind me had me reclined in a way). I honestly can’t remember falling asleep after I put them asleep but I somehow did. I was woken up this morning by my other beardie because he crawled up my chest onto my pillow to continue to sleep. So I looked at him & I looked at my chest & I didn’t see Dex. I also forgot to mention that when I fell asleep I was on my back. I woke up in the same position I fell asleep in. Anyways.. I got out of my bed because atp I’m freaking out & I see my poor Dexter :(. He was lying on his back and so I picked him up & he was so cold. He didn’t reach for my index finger as he usually does to lay his body there. I just broke down at that point. I was very attached to Dex & I know that in a way he was attached to me. I feel so bad & in a way I know this is my fault. I took him to Petsmart so that they could send him to the vet & even when they were taking him away I just broke down again. The lady at Petsmart gave me a new baby beardie for free & I’m definitely gonna be a lot more careful with them now. I just really miss Dex & I’d never expected to be this upset & hurt about an animal but he was my first pet. He was so special to me! I took him everywhere with me (in his critter cage).

Anyways, sorry for the super long post but I just really needed to vent about this. It’s been eating me up since this morning.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I had gotten a baby beardie June 1, 2022. His name was Dexter (I called him Dex). It took him about two weeks to get used to me and not run from me when I tried to handle him. Shortly after he started to become attached to me. He’d glass surf whenever I put him in his tank & he’d even stick his nails into my arms when it was time to go back in. Whenever I took him out his stress marks would disappear & he’d find a comfy spot on my body & just nap. Last night I took both of my beardies out of their tanks & I gave them their night rubs as I usually would. They fell asleep on my chest (my pillows behind me had me reclined in a way). I honestly can’t remember falling asleep after I put them asleep but I somehow did. I was woken up this morning by my other beardie because he crawled up my chest onto my pillow to continue to sleep. So I looked at him & I looked at my chest & I didn’t see Dex. I also forgot to mention that when I fell asleep I was on my back. I woke up in the same position I fell asleep in. Anyways.. I got out of my bed because atp I’m freaking out & I see my poor Dexter :(. He was lying on his back and so I picked him up & he was so cold. He didn’t reach for my index finger as he usually does to lay his body there. I just broke down at that point. I was very attached to Dex & I know that in a way he was attached to me. I feel so bad & in a way I know this is my fault. I took him to Petsmart so that they could send him to the vet & even when they were taking him away I just broke down again. The lady at Petsmart gave me a new baby beardie for free & I’m definitely gonna be a lot more careful with them now. I just really miss Dex & I’d never expected to be this upset & hurt about an animal but he was my first pet. He was so special to me! I took him everywhere with me (in his critter cage).

Anyways, sorry for the super long post but I just really needed to vent about this. It’s been eating me up since this morning.
I am so sorry to hear about dex but it is not safe to sleep w/ your dragons - one it sounds like he had fallen on his back and could not right side himself that's a guess dragons cannot breath on their backs- next how old is your other dragon ? Word of caution keep the two apart we have had too many older dragons attack little ones and they end up not making it please keep them apart- you need two tank set ups- good uvb no coils a long tube fixture-- we can help w/ that- a good solid clear bright white basking bulb - no colored bulbs at all- temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- you want surface basking temps-- 105-110

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I am so sorry to hear about dexter. I lost my 3 yesr old in april, so i know what your going through. Don't ley his lose keep you from diving head first into your new dragon (name?) They are all special and sweet. Hopefully with a little time your new dragon brings you as much joy

wayamargiela

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Osama Pebbles & Dexter
I am so sorry to hear about dex but it is not safe to sleep w/ your dragons - one it sounds like he had fallen on his back and could not right side himself that's a guess dragons cannot breath on their backs- next how old is your other dragon ? Word of caution keep the two apart we have had too many older dragons attack little ones and they end up not making it please keep them apart- you need two tank set ups- good uvb no coils a long tube fixture-- we can help w/ that- a good solid clear bright white basking bulb - no colored bulbs at all- temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- you want surface basking temps-- 105-110
Yes I have all of that. They were in separate tanks. I always waited until Dex was asleep to grab the other beardie and even then they never had any issues it’s like they didn’t even acknowledge each other. The other beardie is about the same age as dex was which was about a month and a half. My other beardie is just chubbier than Dex was. The only issue I’m having with the tanks is that the humidity on the cooling sides are about 6-9% too high.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes I have all of that. They were in separate tanks. I always waited until Dex was asleep to grab the other beardie and even then they never had any issues it’s like they didn’t even acknowledge each other. The other beardie is about the same age as dex was which was about a month and a half. My other beardie is just chubbier than Dex was. The only issue I’m having with the tanks is that the humidity on the cooling sides are about 6-9% too high.
What is the humidity and how are you getting it? The stick ons arent very reliable I would get a digital probe hygrometer Exo Terra Digital Hygrometer | Dubia.com
Optimal humidity is 40-50% nothing under 20% and over 70% -- please place the probe on the center back wall of the tank ---
Please keep the dragons apart it takes one second for them to detrimental damage to one --- they should not be in sight of one another especially after getting to be 6 months of age --- it will stress both of them out and if they are males they will fight till the death ---

wayamargiela

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Osama Pebbles & Dexter
What is the humidity and how are you getting it? The stick ons arent very reliable I would get a digital probe hygrometer Exo Terra Digital Hygrometer | Dubia.com
Optimal humidity is 40-50% nothing under 20% and over 70% -- please place the probe on the center back wall of the tank ---
Please keep the dragons apart it takes one second for them to detrimental damage to one --- they should not be in sight of one another especially after getting to be 6 months of age --- it will stress both of them out and if they are males they will fight till the death ---
The humidity in one tank is 43% right now on the cool side & in the other tank it is 46%. I have the Zoomed hygrometer + thermometer and the Thrive hygrometer + thermometer. The all are digital with probes. I have two of each and one on each side of their tanks.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The humidity in one tank is 43% right now on the cool side & in the other tank it is 46%. I have the Zoomed hygrometer + thermometer and the Thrive hygrometer + thermometer. The all are digital with probes. I have two of each and one on each side of their tanks.
Ok place one on the center back wall- 40% - 50% is good

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom