Beardie or Rankin's/Lawson's

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris9

I'm torn... I love the size benefits of the Rankins. But prefer the spiky looks of the Beardies. It is also my understanding that Rankin's are more active as adults. And also eat quite a bit less... However, I hear that Rankins often do better if paired from birth. If that's the case, having two might negate the benefit of the reduced diet?

Is there any way to keep a beardie active as an adult? There are definitely exceptions, but a lot of the adult dragons i see on YouTube can hardly be bothered to tilt their head to have a worm plopped in their mouths :p Those are still beyond cool, and I would love to have one. But if a Rankins is less likely to end up like that, I might want to go with them.... From what I understand, Rankins tend to maintain more insects in their diets as adults. That could explain the difference in activity levels maybe.

I've never had any kind of dragon. So i'm basing my conclusions on what I have been reading and what i've seen on YouTube. Would love to hear thoughts from people with real life experience to share. My mind changes daily :p Having just seen the latest BloodBankDragons vid (http://youtu.be/hWDDUf_7CNE), i'm leaning back towards a Beardie, atm :banghead:

morphmom

BD.org Addict
I Love Bearded Dragons! Period! :D That being said, perhaps another type of lizard would be better for you. A Uromastyx only eats veggies. Very cost effective. They are also smaller then BD's and are known to be very active and interactive. Little, colorful, puppies in a tank! :mrgreen: Chuckwallas are around the same size as a BD or bigger. They also eat just veggies and are more active. There are exceptions for every lizard ofcourse but maybe you need something different all together. There is a member here who owns a Rankins. I'm sure they could give you an idea of activity level and so on. In the end, you'll always be welcome on this forum regardless of lizard type. :wink:

chris9

Original Poster
I appreciate it, Morphmom :D
Euromastyx do seem very interesting! But not a lizard you can interact with nearly as much while outside of it's enclosure.... I probably came across as not being much of a beardie fan :oops: Their being lazy is a good tradeoff for being so easy going outside their enclosures 8) Mainly just wanting to know to what extent a Rankin's activity level differs I guess. The difference in diet probably wouldn't be all that significant once they are adults anyway(?) Especially if you are going to have two of course.

chris9":1hzk29hf said:
I'm torn... I love the size benefits of the Rankins. But prefer the spiky looks of the Beardies. It is also my understanding that Rankin's are more active as adults. And also eat quite a bit less... However, I hear that Rankins often do better if paired from birth. If that's the case, having two might negate the benefit of the reduced diet?

Is there any way to keep a beardie active as an adult? There are definitely exceptions, but a lot of the adult dragons i see on YouTube can hardly be bothered to tilt their head to have a worm plopped in their mouths :p Those are still beyond cool, and I would love to have one. But if a Rankins is less likely to end up like that, I might want to go with them.... From what I understand, Rankins tend to maintain more insects in their diets as adults. That could explain the difference in activity levels maybe.

I've never had any kind of dragon. So i'm basing my conclusions on what I have been reading and what i've seen on YouTube. Would love to hear thoughts from people with real life experience to share. My mind changes daily :p Having just seen the latest BloodBankDragons vid (http://youtu.be/hWDDUf_7CNE), i'm leaning back towards a Beardie, atm :banghead:

Thanks for the video link, I checked their site and other videos... way cool..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LittleSofa
Top Bottom