Beardie on Antibiotics - Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaigeMe

Hi All! My re-homed Beardie had his first vet visit this Monday and it went well. However - she found a little sore in his mouth along his gumline and decided to put him on antibiotcs (Trimethoprim Sulfa Suspension - .13ml once a day). After two doses, half of his beard turned black and stayed that way. I spoke to the vet, and she's not concerned. I just wonder what's going on. Not only that, but now that he's had 2 doses and is NOT happy about it, he won't open his mouth for me to get it in. LOL! Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi All! My re-homed Beardie had his first vet visit this Monday and it went well. However - she found a little sore in his mouth along his gumline and decided to put him on antibiotcs (Trimethoprim Sulfa Suspension - .13ml once a day). After two doses, half of his beard turned black and stayed that way. I spoke to the vet, and she's not concerned. I just wonder what's going on. Not only that, but now that he's had 2 doses and is NOT happy about it, he won't open his mouth for me to get it in. LOL! Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!
@Drache613
@AHBD

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've read that the sulpha drugs can be rough on them. He may be reacting to that. If the sore is visible in his mouth, using a topical oral cleanser like MaxiGuard gel may be a good way to treat the issue directly unless a systemic infection was detected that warrants more aggressive treatment.

PaigeMe

Original Poster
I've read that the sulpha drugs can be rough on them. He may be reacting to that. If the sore is visible in his mouth, using a topical oral cleanser like MaxiGuard gel may be a good way to treat the issue directly unless a systemic infection was detected that warrants more aggressive treatment.
Thanks!!!! I got some Hibiclenz to clean with, but again, not sure how to keep his mouth open for this. Do you have any techniques?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Maybe lead with a treat or something sweet like a q-tip with a little honey on it. That might make him less reluctant around a q-tip after a while. Some people are able to pry open their mouths with a tongue depressor or credit card, but I worry a bit about damaging their teeth this way. As a last resort, you could try wrapping him in a towel and then with one hand slide your thumb down along the skin on his beard to create some tension and the tension will eventually pull his mouth open. They really don't like this, but it doesn't seem to cause any long term hurt feelings or harm.

PaigeMe

Original Poster
Maybe lead with a treat or something sweet like a q-tip with a little honey on it. That might make him less reluctant around a q-tip after a while. Some people are able to pry open their mouths with a tongue depressor or credit card, but I worry a bit about damaging their teeth this way. As a last resort, you could try wrapping him in a towel and then with one hand slide your thumb down along the skin on his beard to create some tension and the tension will eventually pull his mouth open. They really don't like this, but it doesn't seem to cause any long term hurt feelings or harm.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your expertise. I'll give those a shot!!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The sulfa drugs are definitely hard on them! They can upset their tummy too. Are you giving extra fluids while he is on the meds?
I am not positive he needs meds, how bad is the mouth infection, ca you post some pictures?
As Cooper Dragon mentioned, the raw unpasteurized honey is very effective & safe to use orally also.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom