Beardie not moving well

laurencamp

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Brea
Hi all- i am desperately in search of some answers for my sweet beardie, Brea. She's not very old, around 3 months we think, and we've had her since August. We have a vet appointment tomorrow morning, but in the meantime I'm hoping others in the community may have experienced something similar and can offer thoughts/advice.

the backstory: last friday, my daughter noticed that her back leg wasn't moving well, and she didn't want to eat at all that day. we were able to get her into the vet saturday morning- he took an x-ray of just the leg, and said it wasn't broken and that she still had feeling in it. Vet said that she maybe got it caught in something, freaked out, and tried to run thereby spraining it. we've had her on an anti-inflammatory/pain med that the vet described since then and she was doing much better and was back to eating regularly.

but then this morning, both of her arms were strangely floppy and she's not moving well- almost dragging herself around. the back legs now seem fine, but this makes me wonder if there was ever a sprain at all. Could this be MBD? i believe that our basking temps and calcium supplementation are all good, although i'm definitely open to feedback on that. it just all happened so suddenly that i'm at a total loss.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Beardies can live a decently long and fulfilling life with adv, you just have to be more careful and stay on top of stuff i think. I haven't personally had to deal with it, but there are members here with beardies that have lived good lives. Hopefully some of them will reach out to you with advice.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She is definitely way too small for a blood draw at 27 grams. Adeno can cause neurological issues,
& so can metabolic bone disease.
You can sign up on my adeno page at:

www.thepats.info

The test is only $21 so very inexpensive. I can help with getting her tested if you would like.
Did the vet suggest putting her on a liquid calcium in case there may be metabolic bone disease
at play too.
Which UVB light are you using currently?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

laurencamp

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Brea
Hello,

She is definitely way too small for a blood draw at 27 grams. Adeno can cause neurological issues,
& so can metabolic bone disease.
You can sign up on my adeno page at:

www.thepats.info

The test is only $21 so very inexpensive. I can help with getting her tested if you would like.
Did the vet suggest putting her on a liquid calcium in case there may be metabolic bone disease
at play too.
Which UVB light are you using currently?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie
Hi Tracie,

Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it! Yes, I would love to get her tested and would really appreciate your help in making that happen—please let me know how to proceed!

The vet didn't suggest liquid calcium — he brought up MBD but didn't seem to think that was very likely. I am using a Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 T5 HO tube for UVB.

Brea is definitely doing better. I am feeding her Oxbow Critical Care and she will lap it up right out of the syringe. She's not yet back to eating bugs on her own, sadly. But she has a lot more strength in her arms and legs. She's moving better, although definitely not yet back to normal. I still have so many questions about what her quality of life is going to be like. I feel that I'm doing the best I can for her, but I don't want her to suffer. She's had stretches of weeks where she ate totally normally and was active- this is our second bout of her not eating, and it's definitely been much worse than the first. I got her on August 8th, at which point she was somewhere between 1-2 months old, and I worry that she's not gaining enough weight for her age.

Thank you again for all the help and support!
Lauren

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi Tracie,

Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it! Yes, I would love to get her tested and would really appreciate your help in making that happen—please let me know how to proceed!

The vet didn't suggest liquid calcium — he brought up MBD but didn't seem to think that was very likely. I am using a Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 T5 HO tube for UVB.

Brea is definitely doing better. I am feeding her Oxbow Critical Care and she will lap it up right out of the syringe. She's not yet back to eating bugs on her own, sadly. But she has a lot more strength in her arms and legs. She's moving better, although definitely not yet back to normal. I still have so many questions about what her quality of life is going to be like. I feel that I'm doing the best I can for her, but I don't want her to suffer. She's had stretches of weeks where she ate totally normally and was active- this is our second bout of her not eating, and it's definitely been much worse than the first. I got her on August 8th, at which point she was somewhere between 1-2 months old, and I worry that she's not gaining enough weight for her age.

Thank you again for all the help and support!
Lauren
Where is your uvb? In the tank or top of screen? The screen will determine where the uvb needs to be

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If you go to my website, for testing which is www.thepats.info
Be sure to include your shipping address also for me in the correspondence.
How is Brea doing? That's great you have the UVB mounted inside of her tank, that should really
help her out. You could try some bee pollen to help with boosting her immune system & improve her
appetite, also.
Let us know how things are going!

Tracie

laurencamp

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Brea
Hello,

If you go to my website, for testing which is www.thepats.info
Be sure to include your shipping address also for me in the correspondence.
How is Brea doing? That's great you have the UVB mounted inside of her tank, that should really
help her out. You could try some bee pollen to help with boosting her immune system & improve her
appetite, also.
Let us know how things are going!

Tracie
Hi Tracie,

Thank you for the info! She hasn't been pooping as regularly since she's been on the Critical Care, but I can send out a sample as soon as I have something to send.

Here's a picture of Brea from this morning! She's definitely doing better, and I hope she's back to eating on her own soon. Her behavior is definitely different- she doesn't want to come out and bask in the mornings like she used to and I have to put her on the log. And she doesn't want to explore or move much. But I imagine that's because she's not feeling well. I got her to drink water this morning which felt like a success. I'll give the bee pollen a try!

IMG_1301.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi Tracie,

Thank you for the info! She hasn't been pooping as regularly since she's been on the Critical Care, but I can send out a sample as soon as I have something to send.

Here's a picture of Brea from this morning! She's definitely doing better, and I hope she's back to eating on her own soon. Her behavior is definitely different- she doesn't want to come out and bask in the mornings like she used to and I have to put her on the log. And she doesn't want to explore or move much. But I imagine that's because she's not feeling well. I got her to drink water this morning which felt like a success. I'll give the bee pollen a try!

View attachment 74348
Shes a pretty little thing

laurencamp

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Brea
She is a very pretty beardie.
I'm glad she is feeling better.
Awwwww thanks y'all! I am very pleased to report that she ate 10 calcium dusted Dubias all on her own this evening! i nearly cried tears of joy. so hopefully things are looking up and we can get back to normal.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Excellent news, I am happy to hear she finally ate today. I know that made your day! :)
That is definitely a very good sign she is starting to feel better now.
Please keep us posted on her progress.

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom