Beardie not eating??

Recently, Pepper hasn't been wanting to eat his crickets, and only occasionally comes down to get water or his greens. I'm not sure if this is brumation or not, because he's also being pretty lazy. As I am writing this, he is eating a cricket I dropped trying to feed him just before. If this is brumation, I would like to know what to do.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Found a brumation article. My beardie is the kind of one that just periodically wakes up and walks around, then proceeds to sleep again.
Dragons slow down on eating in the winter-- get a weight on him now and keep track - if hes eating and basking thats not really brumation - full brumation is when they go into a deep sleep and not wake up for long periods of time some could be 3 months- some go into a semi brumation where they will sleep for a week or two mine do this and come out and maybe eat but bask-- did you read the brumation article on this website?

AFirst-TimeLizardOwner

Original Poster
Dragons slow down on eating in the winter-- get a weight on him now and keep track - if hes eating and basking thats not really brumation - full brumation is when they go into a deep sleep and not wake up for long periods of time some could be 3 months- some go into a semi brumation where they will sleep for a week or two mine do this and come out and maybe eat but bask-- did you read the brumation article on this website?
Then I don't know what he's doing, because he's sleeping often and barely eating or basking. It's not the UVB, I replace it every month and it's the correct one. I have a digital therm, and his temperatures are good. He's fed every day and occasionally given veggies. I have no idea what could've caused this. Maybe a parasite??

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Then I don't know what he's doing, because he's sleeping often and barely eating or basking. It's not the UVB, I replace it every month and it's the correct one. I have a digital therm, and his temperatures are good. He's fed every day and occasionally given veggies. I have no idea what could've caused this. Maybe a parasite??
He needs veggies every day -- fresh salads - it could be parasites what are you feeding for a insect? Please tell me what your using for a UVB? coil or a long tube fixture? they have certain placement and distance for them -- your screen will determine where it needs to be---- we need to rule the UVB out along w/ your surface basking temps first then we can move on to other possible causes

AFirst-TimeLizardOwner

Original Poster
He's getting a little more active, so either it's improving or something else

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He's getting a little more active, so either it's improving or something else
I would keep track of the weight- like I posted earlier things need to be ruled out first- if hes got runny and very stinky poops then it could be parasites -- your UVB and surface basking temps are all related to behavior---- if your using a coil UVB they are inadequate and will cause all kinds of help problems -- kong tube fixtures have certain distance and placement - that is determined by the screen

AFirst-TimeLizardOwner

Original Poster
He needs veggies every day -- fresh salads - it could be parasites what are you feeding for a insect? Please tell me what your using for a UVB? coil or a long tube fixture? they have certain placement and distance for them -- your screen will determine where it needs to be---- we need to rule the UVB out along w/ your surface basking temps first then we can move on to other possible causes
You have asked this question before, when I answered you told me what I needed, so what you told me to get I have. Basking temps are 101F - 110 and cooling temps are around 70F - 80F. I didn't know about the distance thing though. I think the distance is okay. He isn't really doing this anymore, and I feed him crickets, mustard greens, kale, and occasionally dubia roaches and mealworms as a treat.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You have asked this question before, when I answered you told me what I needed, so what you told me to get I have. Basking temps are 101F - 110 and cooling temps are around 70F - 80F. I didn't know about the distance thing though. I think the distance is okay. He isn't really doing this anymore, and I feed him crickets, mustard greens, kale, and occasionally dubia roaches and mealworms as a treat.
I would drop your surface basking temps down to 95-100-- adults dont like the real hot temps - crickets can cause parasites -- 80's are good for cool side during the day -- 70's are more for night time - good sleeping temps- try the different basking temps and watch his behavior-- where is the UVB ? top of screen or inside the tank? the screen if its a fine mesh like a screen door will block 30% of the rays - if its a wide hole screen it can stay on top but a piece of decor would need to be 8-10 inches directly under it

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom