Beardie never basks!

Ryno2389

Beardie name(s)
Taliford
Hello I need help. My bearde dragon is 3 years of age and for like a whole year now he never basks, barely eats and always is on the cool side. He doesn't lose weight. looks healthy but he always looks mad or irratible. He's always trying to hide as well I don't know what else to do for him I've tried everything I've tried different wattage bulbs 2 bulbs 1 bulbs 2 uvbs 1 uvbs bigger enclosure 48 x24x24. Basking Temps 100-110ish hot side. middle is about 85. cool side 78. Please help me thank you

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello I need help. My bearde dragon is 3 years of age and for like a whole year now he never basks, barely eats and always is on the cool side. He doesn't lose weight. looks healthy but he always looks mad or irratible. He's always trying to hide as well I don't know what else to do for him I've tried everything I've tried different wattage bulbs 2 bulbs 1 bulbs 2 uvbs 1 uvbs bigger enclosure 48 x24x24. Basking Temps 100-110ish hot side. middle is about 85. cool side 78. Please help me thank you
Is he losing weight? Are you using a solid clear bright basking bulb? NO daytime bulbs --- how are you getting surface basking temps? The 100-110 is too hot please get the temp down to 95-100

Ryno2389

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Taliford
No he loses no weight. Bulbs are 75 watt daylight basking bulbs they are not clear yousing two of them to keep the heat up in the whole inclosure. If I just youse 1 Temps drop kinda drastically. I'm yousing the a temp gun with the laser thing. Thank you for responding

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No he loses no weight. Bulbs are 75 watt daylight basking bulbs they are not clear yousing two of them to keep the heat up in the whole inclosure. If I just youse 1 Temps drop kinda drastically. I'm yousing the a temp gun with the laser thing. Thank you for responding
Please show me the daylight basking bulb-- the box - any daytime bulbs have a neoyodium coating on them and cause eye issues- you need digital probe thermometers to get accurate surface basking temps-- you need clear solid bright white bulbs examples Flukers- basking bulb-- exo Terra intense or Arcadia halogen--

Ryno2389

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Taliford
Is he losing weight? Are you using a solid clear bright basking bulb? NO daytime bulbs --- how are you getting surface basking temps? The 100-110 is too hot please get the temp down to 95-100
No he loses no weight. Bulbs are 75 watt daylight basking bulbs they are not clear yousing two of them to keep the heat up in the whole inclosure. If I just youse 1 Temps drop kinda drastically. I'm yousing the a temp gun with the laser thing. Thank you for responding.

Attachments

• 20230221_185329.jpg
    20230221_185329.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 20230221_185414.jpg
    20230221_185414.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 52

Ryno2389

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Taliford
Please show me the daylight basking bulb-- the box - any daytime bulbs have a neoyodium coating on them and cause eye issues- you need digital probe thermometers to get accurate surface basking temps-- you need clear solid bright white bulbs examples Flukers- basking bulb-- exo Terra intense or Arcadia halogen--
Yes maybe you are right he seems very irratible and annoyed and is always trying to burrow his head and hiding under everything I'll definitely get new bulbs like the ones you recommend. Is it ok that I'm yousing 2 uvb lights as well? And shoukd I get 2 75 watt basking lights or like 1 100 watt? Thanks again

Attachments

• 20230221_185414.jpg
    20230221_185414.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20230221_185329.jpg
    20230221_185329.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 50

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes maybe you are right he seems very irratible and annoyed and is always trying to burrow his head and hiding under everything I'll definitely get new bulbs like the ones you recommend. Is it ok that I'm yousing 2 uvb lights as well? And shoukd I get 2 75 watt basking lights or like 1 100 watt? Thanks again
Your digital probe thermometer is going to tell you wattage- trial and error- I would get one of each and go from there-- your uvb is a T 5 ? What brand and bulb please-- the screen on the tank is a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed type ?

Ryno2389

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Taliford
Your digital probe thermometer is going to tell you wattage- trial and error- I would get one of each and go from there-- your uvb is a T 5 ? What brand and bulb please-- the screen on the tank is a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide holed type ?
I'm using 2 reptisun T8 10.0 18 inch lights thought about going back to just one. And no mesh screen just hllowed out holes for all lamps

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I'm using 2 reptisun T8 10.0 18 inch lights thought about going back to just one. And no mesh screen just hllowed out holes for all lamps
Ok please get a piece of basking decor directly under the uvb 6-8 inches- I would look at upgrading the uvb to a 24" fixture T 5 bulb - then the basking decor would need to be 12-15 inches

Ryno2389

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Taliford
Ok for sure I'll definitely do all that you have suggested ASAP thank you for all of your help. I thought about putting him back into the 40 gallon but I think he's to big he's 21 inches head to tail. He seemed better in the 40 gallon tho.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok for sure I'll definitely do all that you have suggested ASAP thank you for all of your help. I thought about putting him back into the 40 gallon but I think he's to big he's 21 inches head to tail. He seemed better in the 40 gallon tho.
No he's better in the bigger tank - we need to get that uvb situated and your basking bulb changed out w/ your surface basking temps corrected- 95-100 w/ the probe thermometers -

Ryno2389

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Taliford
No he's better in the bigger tank - we need to get that uvb situated and your basking bulb changed out w/ your surface basking temps corrected- 95-100 w/ the probe thermometers -
Ok thank you once again I'll keep you updated and let you know in the coming weeks 🙂

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom