Beardie Mouth Rot

Forrest T.

Beardie name(s)
Pogona, Mulder, Scully, Falkor, Volka, Eli
I have a male bearded dragon (he's around three yo), and I recently discovered he has mouth rot by looking inside of his mouth with a Q-tip. I have been rinsing it with betadine and water, administering vitamins and probiotics, and I have even been using rot guard, but it's not getting better. And even how much I search, I cannot find a veterinary clinic that accepts bearded dragons around me. Can anyone suggest any possible treatments, please? If something bad happens to him I will honestly fall apart

Thank you

Forrest T.

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Can you post pics of his mouth ? Is he eating or is his mouth too sore ?
Well, he was picky prior to this infection, so he will only eat insects. However, just so he has the strength to fight off the infection, I have been "force" feeding him a few greens with vitamins and probiotics sprinkled on them. I have a hard time opening his mouth, but on the top left corner is red and it has a little yellow patch. His saliva is very thick. I believe he might be in the mid-stages of mouth rot, but I'm not sure.

Edit: The left side of his face is also swollen a tad, which is concerning.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're probably doing the best you can , do you need help finding a vet ? You can also offer a little unpasteurized honey.

Forrest T.

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
You're probably doing the best you can , do you need help finding a vet ? You can also offer a little unpasteurized honey.
I am trying my very best--he's my baby, though I have six beardies in total. Both my father and I searched for a while, and we even called around, but no one accepts beardies.. What do you mean honey?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Unpasteurized honey is a natural antimicrobial and good for inflamed tissue. Of course it won't be able to stay on the tissue being in his mouth but it might help a little or be soothing.

Forrest T.

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Unpasteurized honey is a natural antimicrobial and good for inflamed tissue. Of course it won't be able to stay on the tissue being in his mouth but it might help a little or be soothing.
Thank you very much, but are there any antibiotics I could give him, such as amoxicillin?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing this evening? As AHBD suggested, the raw unpasteurized honey is great
& is very effective against all types of bacteria so definitely try that for now.
I hope he gets better, so keep us all posted on his progress. Pictures when you can, would be helpful.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom